PDA

View Full Version : what am i doing wrong?!?!?!

simplegirl
10-06-2007, 06:20 AM
DS is 3 weeks. I'm using newborn prefolds with covers and they LEAK. I changed his outfit 4 times yesterday. I'm wrapping the cover tightly and I don't want to cut off his circulation in his legs. And I'm changing them as frequently as every hour. This is why I stopped CD with DS#1. I really want to stick with it this time. I've got BumGenius and FuzziBunz for bigger sizes but right now I have a few Kissaluvs and mostly prefolds. Are prefolds destined more to leak or am I doing something wrong?

musicmama
10-06-2007, 06:24 AM
are you using a snappi or pins or anything?

simplegirl
10-06-2007, 06:53 AM
i don't know if it's called a snappi, but it's a 3-point gathering thing. could the newborn size just be too small??

blessedwithboys
10-06-2007, 07:08 AM
How big is he? Can you try your Bum Genius now w/ other stuffing (not the one size insert they send- microfiber towels or something)? BG fit my ds from birth, (though he was 10.7 lbs at birth).

Is it poop that's leaking or pee? IME even sposies leak newborn poop something crazy!

Are your prefolds newborn, infants, or preemie? Preemie prefolds aren't absorbant enough for many babies.

TuneMyHeart
10-06-2007, 07:11 AM
We've never had a leak with a prefold. :shrug Did you buy the prefolds or covers used? Do they need to be stripped?

singbanshee
10-06-2007, 11:27 AM
when you use the prefold are you turning the legs in? Also make sure the prefold isn't really touching the cover...sometimes FOE wicks moisture imho...

simplegirl
10-06-2007, 02:26 PM
We've never had a leak with a prefold. :shrug Did you buy the prefolds or covers used? Do they need to be stripped?

They weren't used and I'm not sure what stripping is.

when you use the prefold are you turning the legs in? Also make sure the prefold isn't really touching the cover...sometimes FOE wicks moisture imho...

legs are turned in... :scratch not sure what you mean by prefold not touching the cover, or what FOE wicks means.

I talked to my sis and she says that the cover made all the difference for her. I think they very well may be the problem. I'm going to start using the BumGenius and size one fuzzibunz I have. And keep using the kissaluvs, those work well.

Naked Camper
10-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Things that we found that made a difference:
our prefolds were high quality prefolds - not the cheap Gerber brand ones they sell at the baby store.

The cover will make a difference too. :yes Make sure all of the diaper is tucked into cover all the way around and none is sticking out.

you can find info about "stripping" in one of the sticky's in this CD forum.

Iansmama
10-07-2007, 08:41 PM
If the prefolds were new, how many times did you wash/dry them before using them?

simplegirl
10-08-2007, 05:22 AM
I used the prefolds on DS #1 two years ago, so they're not really new. But when I purchased them new, I think I washed them 3 times before using them. They are organic, dye free diapers. Then I washed them again before using them with DS #2. I think I'm just going to stop using the newborn prefolds, and start using the others I've got. DS #2 seems to be getting larger rather fast anyway. Thanks for all your help!

2sunshines
10-08-2007, 05:30 AM
Let us know if the other diapers solve the leaking problem for you.