PDA

View Full Version : EW.

schmamy
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Last night I did a load of dipes and noticed one extremely poopy PF had these weird, gross dark green areas on it. I am sure it wasn't like that when it first came off DS's behind, if it was one I changed--I definitely would have noticed (and freaked out). I asked DH if he'd seen anything like that and he said he tries not to look at the dipes, just enough to see they are wet/dirty and throw it in the pail :rolleyes2 All I can figure is it was mold? EW! The dipes had only been in the pail three days--would that have happened that fast? How can I prevent it from happening? It does seem to have come out in the wash, but should I have done anything special to treat that load?

And all of a sudden our diaper pail seems to smell BAD. Not like poopy diapers...just like, ICK. :shrug

illinoismommy
10-04-2007, 09:48 AM
I don't think diapers mold, but I don't know.... could you throw in a load every evening before bed? The most I go is to the second day and everything seems to keep pretty fresh that way

Iarwain
10-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Sometimes the poo changes to a greenish color as it sits. It's a poop stain. Not to worry. I've had a few with stains like that. Sunshine will take it out or you can ignore it and it'll probably fade with the next couple washes.

schmamy
10-04-2007, 11:24 AM
I don't think diapers mold, but I don't know.... could you throw in a load every evening before bed? The most I go is to the second day and everything seems to keep pretty fresh that way

Blah...that sounds like a pain, and a waste of energy/water to run the washing machine that often for such small loads...

Sometimes the poo changes to a greenish color as it sits. It's a poop stain. Not to worry. I've had a few with stains like that. Sunshine will take it out or you can ignore it and it'll probably fade with the next couple washes.

It didn't stain--the green was all gone when I took them out of the washer, thank goodness.

diamondintherough
10-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it was a chemical reaction--lol.

Anyhow, I do dipes every other day and occasionally a stain changes color while it sits. Nothing to worry about. I've never had mold on my dipes and I agree with pp that sun does wonders for stains.

illinoismommy
10-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Blah...that sounds like a pain, and a waste of energy/water to run the washing machine that often for such small loads...

yeah I guess, I've always had a small stash and needed to do it

blessedwithboys
10-04-2007, 11:44 AM

:yes Yep! Happens with mine sometimes and I'm 100% positive it isn't mold (often turns green w/in the same day). It washes out.

schmamy
10-04-2007, 11:45 AM

:yes Yep! Happens with mine sometimes and I'm 100% positive it isn't mold (often turns green w/in the same day). It washes out.

oh good :phew

so what about the stinky pail?

blessedwithboys
10-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Can you wipe it out with some white vinegar and sit it outside to dry? Sunshine does pretty good for ours. It gets wiped out every time I wash dipes since I don't use a pail liner. Also, can you leave the top open? I leave the flip top open on mine a lot- doesn't stink, actually prevents stink!

LeeDee
10-04-2007, 06:38 PM
I find BF poops, especially when the babies are still real young, turn green after a few hours. They're not green when they first come out, but will go green after oxygen or something getting to them? Dunno what causes it, btu I've noticed it and I really don't think it's anything to worry about.

Naked Camper
10-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I wash my pail in bleach water every couple of weeks to get residual stink out.

schmamy
10-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Can you wipe it out with some white vinegar and sit it outside to dry? Sunshine does pretty good for ours. It gets wiped out every time I wash dipes since I don't use a pail liner. Also, can you leave the top open? I leave the flip top open on mine a lot- doesn't stink, actually prevents stink!

That's the thing, we're using a pail liner!

blessedwithboys
10-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Maybe try going w/o a pail liner and just wiping the pail out w/ vinegar or bleach water each time? I have a pail liner but it's just our portable pail for travel. I think it doesn't have enough room to get clean when it's in the washer w/ all the diapers and it traps condensation between the pail and the liner too (which could make an icky smell).