PDA

View Full Version : co-sleeping with mobile babies

hopeforchange
10-01-2007, 07:11 PM
dd is 13 months and crawling. she scares me on the bed :nails i put her down at night before i come to bed and she has a pillow on each side of her. however, even with a baby monitor and going to her as soon as i hear her fuss, there have been a few times where i've run into the room to find her already sitting up. i'm scared to death that she is going to crawl off the bed. it doesn't help that she got hurt badly this weekend, so i'm extra paranoid right now :/

anyways, what do you do to keep your mobile babies safe. i need to get a bedrail, but we're extra tight on money right now, so i prolly can't get one for a month or so...and we're at my parents' house, so i can't put the mattresses on the floor...are the pillows around her all i can do? :scratch

BHope
10-02-2007, 10:27 AM
With DD1 (my kiddo who would do something crazy like walk off the end of the bed) we butted our bed up against the wall and put a bed rail on the "open" side. At the time we didn't have a footboard so we just tried to get into the room as soon as we heard her stir. I'm sure she would have been fine, though, had she fallen. Mainly because at that point in my parenting I forever had a stack of laundry at the foot of my bed. :O

Does your bed have a foot and headboard? Between those and being up against the wall, at least you have three sides "covered,"

CakeLady
10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
As soon as DD was mobile (ie crawling) I taught her to crawl off the bed backwards.

RealLifeMama
10-04-2007, 01:19 PM
This worries me, also. Last week, C crawled onto the nightstand while I was in the bathroom.

Honestly, I just don't leave him unattended. I know that is not the answer you wanted. But, then again, at 13 months, both N and A knew how to get off the bed safely. As soon as they could crawl, we began teaching him "edge" and turning him around. We have started that with C now, too.

hopeforchange
10-04-2007, 07:11 PM
hmmm...dd has no concept of the edge or the danger of it. maybe i should try that :)