PDA

View Full Version : thininng my stash

Garnet
10-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm thinning my stash to get rid of the stuff that no longer fits. I'm gifting alot of it. Anyway, I am in need of things to stuff pockets w/ any idea.

CapeTownMommy
10-01-2007, 07:14 PM
prefolds work very well for me to stuff pockets :yes

2sunshines
10-02-2007, 05:21 AM
You can stuff pockets with almost anything.

Prefolds, flats, even receiving blankets if you are desperate.

My fave pocket stuffer is hemp, just because it's trim yet super absorbent. Microfiber also works well.

slingmamaof4
10-02-2007, 05:26 AM
I have used prefolds, contoured prefold things :shifty (whatever they are called), and microfiber (can get 20 for like $10 in the automotive section at Wal*Mart).

Garnet
10-02-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm getting rid of my infant sized pf's. Thats why I ask.

illinoismommy
10-02-2007, 05:36 AM
I like microfiber for pockets

2sunshines
10-02-2007, 05:43 AM
Why are you getting rid of your infant prefolds? They are definitely something to keep around to use to stuff pockets. Also, if you pin you might even still be able to use them on ds.

Garnet
10-02-2007, 06:01 AM
even pinned they don't fit. he's too chubby. and i don't like them in my one and only pocket dipe. it makes it too bulky. so since i don't reach for them all the time, i'm gifting them.

2sunshines
10-02-2007, 06:05 AM
How old is your ds again? I forget and it's not in your siggy. :O

Garnet
10-02-2007, 06:09 AM
In 21 days he will be 12 months old! He's 18 lbs.....of chunky love.

2sunshines
10-02-2007, 06:11 AM
I ask because my dd is 12 months and very chunky. Over 20 pounds. And I can still pin infant prefolds on her. I just get enough on each end to cross enough to pin but it works and man, those things are trim.

I only say this because I remember you talking before about how you were short of diapers. Just trying to help you figure out how to keep as many useful dipes as possible. :yes

Garnet
10-02-2007, 06:25 AM
yeah, i know. i have flats i've been using instead. I have LOTS of flats. So I've been doubling them and newspaper folding them and adding a doubler.

CapeTownMommy
10-02-2007, 06:27 AM
Also, how are you stuffing the pockets? I know if I use the standard fold-in-3-down-the-length stuffing for prefolds, my pockets are also really thick, so what I do is this:

Place the prefold in front of you on a flat surface, with the length running away from you (So it's an I, not a -) Fold 1/4 of the dipe inwards from the left, so the left edge rests in what was the center of the dipe. Do the same for the right. You should now have a rectangle that's just as long as it used to be, but half the width.

Now stuff that inside your pocket just as it is. Once it's inside, fan out the edges at the top and bottom to make sure the entire inside of the pocket is filled. This way, most of the pocket is filled with only 1 layer of pf except between the legs (which is where you want some bulk anyway IMO).

If you're already doing that, sorry for the :yawn boring advice!

me
10-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Adding a layer of 100% wool really ups the absorbancy.
And not all microfiber is created equally :giggle so microfiber works good if you get the right ones.
You could make your own insert with t-shirts and make them as thin or thick as you needed depending on how long between changes. Then just put a rectangle of wool in if you need the extra absorbancy. Actually, I have used just a wool pad inside the pocket as a one wet. And the great thing about wool is you can just cut it to shape when its felted. Then you can throw it into the wash with the cover.