PDA

View Full Version : Does CD help with diaper rash?

tazmom
09-28-2007, 01:18 AM
My poor little DD2 has diaper rash that just won't go away. :( We've tried just about everything we can think of. She seems to be sensitive to chemicals as every rash cream makes it worse and she even got blisters from the rash cream once. Right now I'm on my last resort for rash creams since she's had this rash for over a month and there are layers of skin that have stripped away. I can't even wipe her because it causes her to bleed. :cry I've heard that CDing has come a long way and it just occurred to me that maybe it would help with her rash problem. I think dh would be up for just about anything if it will help, but I need to be able to show him that CDs would probably fix the problem since it is a big investment in time and money. Do you think that CD would help reoccurring severe diaper rash? If so, is there anything I can show dh that would be pretty convincing?

knitlove
09-28-2007, 06:34 AM
I'm no help but I had to give you a :hugheart

your poor DD

inesperada
09-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Oh, poor thing! :(

Cloth diapered babies do tend to have significantly less problems with diaper rash, so I would give it a try. :hug2

Mama Bird
09-28-2007, 07:25 AM
Sounds like my daughter. She would be fine one diaper change, and the next she'd have raw, open sores on her bottom. I tried every single thing I could think of, all the commercial creams and potions, baking soda, corn starch, etc. After tons of trips to the pediatrician and then a visit to a pediatric dermatologist, I gave up and put her in cloth. She was immediately better, until I put her diapers through a bleach load. She broke out again.

What I discovered for myself (oh, thank you wise doctors :rolleyes) was that her skin is very sensitive to the bleach. As long as I didn't bleach her diapers (I used Biz instead or sunned them) she was perfectly fine. She could also wear the diapers from the HFS that are unbleached disposables. We'd use those on long trips, etc.

I'm perfectly happy to answer any questions you or your DH have. I didn't figure this out until my poor baby had scars on her bottom. :cry She'd bleed each time I wiped her, too. We spent diaper time in tears. The diapers that have always worked best for us are prefolds. Very inexpensive, quite soft, and easy to dry. Very easy to boil every now and then if you, like me, get nutso about cleanliness. Also, rather than wiping her skin, can you hold her over the sink and clean her with water? Soak a washcloth and squeeze it so that you rinse, rather than wipe.

When my son showed similar tendencies even in the hospital with rashes and sposies, we stopped it before it really started by cloth diapering him. I plan to take cloth to the hospital with this baby. In all cases, try to use a cover that is breathable. We could afford to splurge on the cotton Nikky wraps, since the prefolds were less expensive. This time, I have crocheted wool soakers, because wool is both breathable and has some antibacterial properties. With DS, I nixed the Biz (very expensive...) and went with Oxyclean. It worked very well for us.

2sunshines
09-28-2007, 08:17 AM
Absolutely. Cd'd babies have a much lower incidence of rash. If you think about all those harsh chemicals that are in sposies and the fact that they are next to baby's skin 24/7 it makes total sense.

In your case, I'd definitely try cd's. You can get a small starter pack (like prefolds and covers, which are pretty inexpensive) and try it out and see if it helps her.

The other benefit of cd's as opposed to sposies is that you can give her "air time" without actually having to go diaperless. If you use a prefold or fitted diaper without the cover, her bottom is still getting air circulation and you aren't worrying about her peeing all over the floor. :tu