PDA

View Full Version : how in the world do you get BF poop stains out?

schmamy
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I haven't even done my first load of CDs yet...but I want to keep them in excellent shape should we decide to stop CDing and I need to resell them. But the way DS's onesies get stained when we have a leaky diaper...that stuff does NOT come out. I just did a load of his clothes and one of his onesies looks beyond hope even though I sprayed it with Spray & Wash. So how in the world will a diaper get clean?! How do people keep them stain-free? I know the sun is supposed to help bleach stains out, but can it really bleach stains THAT much?

hiddenhippie6
09-25-2007, 07:17 PM
The sun works the best, but you can also use Borax without hurting them.

mamaKristin
09-25-2007, 07:18 PM
I was totally shocked at how well sunshine got some of my most stained diapes clean. I actually went looking for the stains...and they were gone! Sunshine all the way. :yes

poleidopy
09-25-2007, 08:05 PM
definitely sun them. Mine were awful and I NEVER thought they'd be white again. ONE hour in the bright sun and they were bone-white. :rockon

Iarwain
09-25-2007, 08:11 PM
Sunshine, and when you don't have that a good loooong soak in Oxyclean will lighten them considerably.

gentle_answer
09-25-2007, 08:24 PM
The sun. :yes
You don't have to hang them up every time. Just when you want them white. The old stains will come out.

illinoismommy
09-25-2007, 08:53 PM
Wash them every day :shifty .... breastfed poop or any poop doesn't stain if you wash every evening, but on days I go two days then there might be a light stain

2sunshines
09-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Make sure that when you wash, you are doing the first rinse on cold water. Cold water will help get some of that stain out, whereas if the first rinse is hot, it will be more likely to set in.

Then take anything that is stained and lay it in the sun wet. I had heard that a hundred times, but was still amazed when I did it myself and literally watched the sun remove the poo stains. That thing is amazing! (the sun that is :giggle).

MarynMunchkins
09-26-2007, 05:41 AM
Lemon juice on stains before the sun will help with tough stains too. :)

schmamy
09-26-2007, 07:05 AM
thanks ladies...now if only our entire lot wasn't almost completely shaded :( I want DH to put up a clothesline but there's hardly a place to put one--we are just totally shadowed by houses (very close on both sides) and lots of huge trees. but good to know the sun works better than I expected--I'll just have to try hard to find a spot/some time to put them out.

so if it bleaches whites that well...won't my colored FBs and such fade a lot?

Moon
09-26-2007, 07:11 AM
No, the FB will be fine. :-) It's a stain zapper, it won't mess with the print or dyed color of the diaper outer. Just wash like normal, then lay/hang the stained side up to the sun for drying.

I tend to not bother with sunning out right away. The ebf poo stain usually fades within a couple/few washings. I'll sun them well before selling, whether they need it or not.

illinoismommy
09-26-2007, 08:21 AM
your fuzzi bunz are staining? lay them white side up colored side down

Calliope
09-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Anyone use Bac-out as a pre-treater for stains? The DiaperSwappers moms are always talking about it.

schmamy
09-26-2007, 10:29 AM

no, I haven't even used them yet :) just was curious if I hung them on the line, if they would fade considerably--it would seem that they would if the sun can bleach stains out that well.

Anyone use Bac-out as a pre-treater for stains? The DiaperSwappers moms are always talking about it.

my cousin recommended that to me. I haven't been able to get my hands on any yet though. drugstore.com is out of stock for a couple of weeks.

illinoismommy
09-26-2007, 12:40 PM

no, I haven't even used them yet :) just was curious if I hung them on the line, if they would fade considerably--it would seem that they would if the sun can bleach stains out that well.

Well I would be surprised if they stained at all, Fuzzi Bunz's "thing" is the non staining diaper

Moon
09-26-2007, 01:12 PM
I have used Bac-Out for stripping purposes, but not stain treatment on diapers. I don't think I'd use it for the latter, with stripping it usually takes 2-3 warm rinses to have the smell of it totally gone. This could be because we have hard water. I like the smell, but I want it rinsed clean off a diaper. Bac-Out is live enzymes, if it doesn't get rinsed out well it could irritate wee bums.

If you have a good sized natural foods store, you'd probably find it there easily.

Dipe stains are so easy to handle pretreating never crossed my mind. :shrug Ebf poo suns right out, past that it rarely stains (in my experience anyway). You'd have to leave a diaper out there in the sun for a good week or better to notice any sort of color change in a FB outer. The sun will zap poo stains and some food stains (especially anything with tomato sauce in it) in an afternoon. I've put kids colored shirts with big ole chili or spaghetti stains out to line dry. A few hours later the stain is gone, and the shirt looks great.

Calliope
09-26-2007, 04:14 PM
I have used Bac-Out for stripping purposes, but not stain treatment on diapers. I don't think I'd use it for the latter, with stripping it usually takes 2-3 warm rinses to have the smell of it totally gone. This could be because we have hard water. I like the smell, but I want it rinsed clean off a diaper. Bac-Out is live enzymes, if it doesn't get rinsed out well it could irritate wee bums.

:think Yeah, I'm pretty sure the DS moms dilute it when they use it as a pretreater.

LeeDee
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
We haven't tried sunning ours, we have kissaluvs and they are really really very stained. I can't imagine the sun would do much good. They're extremely stained. I'll give it a go though. What the heck, I live in Nebraska and we have plenty sun here.

I didn't find the fuzzibunz really stained though when we had them.