PDA

View Full Version : Yarn for soakers

BearyBlessed
09-20-2007, 10:19 AM
I am hoping my sister will make some soakers or me. But, I don't know where to get yarn.

The huge fabric store we were at a few months ago had mostly wool with synthetic blends. I don't think that's what I want, right? I heard that merino wool is really nice and soft. Where is a good place to get it? It seems so expensive. Is there a cheaper option that is just as nice?

inesperada
09-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Patons 100% Wool Merino is available at most places (Joann's, Michael's, etc.) It's not too pricey. Lion Brand also makes some 100% wool. I've heard, though, that anything at least 70% wool is good.

Punkie
09-20-2007, 10:44 AM
If you have a yarn store near you, I've been very pleased with Cascade 220 :)

I just googled and found this list (scroll down, Cascade 220 is the first one :giggle)
http://diaperpages.com/soaker.php

2sunshines
09-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Yea, I'd stick with 100% wool.

I have some stuff with Patons and Lions and I've been happy with it.

If you have a little more money to spend you can go to hyena cart and get some really nice wool. It's beautiful, soft, soft, soft, but more pricey.

Moon
09-20-2007, 12:07 PM
You'll have better luck going to a real yarn store. Lots there will be higher priced than Joanns or Michaels, but there will be lower end options. A $14 skein of Manos del Uruguay (just pulling one of my faves for an example) is still lots cheaper than a brand new soaker.

TestifyToLove
09-20-2007, 12:14 PM
Joanns, Micheals, etc will carry Patons and Lion Wool. These work just FINE for wool covers. Online, your options are limitless. I've got a huge order of purewool coming via co-op soon. And, another order of Peace Fleece waiting to get ordered with another co-op. Through co-ops, they both actually cost me LESS than the stuff at Joann's. My local yarn store has 2 stories of floor to ceiling yarn. The second floor is nothing but felting yarns. Anything that felts will work for a wool cover.

What you want is something at least 70% wool. That wool does not need to be sheep's wool. It needs to be an animal fiber. Cashmere and alpaca are popular costly options that work just as well if not better than sheep's wool. The important thing is that the yarn be no more than 30% plant or synthetic fibers.

There are online options for both mass produced yarns. I particularily like elann.com for those. There are also options for handpainted, handspun, etc yarns. Lots of those are found at both etsy.com and hyenacart.com

Honestly, what you need to decide is your budget and what you need it for. Then, look for places where you can find stuff *in* your budget. You can spend $15 or less for soakers, or you can spend $40-$60 for soakers in yarn alone. It depends on what you want and your budget.

BearyBlessed
09-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Thanks for the info. I will definitely look for a yarn store. Though, maybe I'll just go with what I can get at JoAnn's.

Are there any free crochet patterns out there? I think I found one, but it didn't have a good pic of the soaker. My sis doesn't like to knit, she much prefers crocheting. Maybe I'll just end up buying a pattern.

inesperada
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Tons of free patterns out there:

http://www.geocities.com/meghanwyant/FreeSoakerPattern.html
http://www.baababynaturals.com/pages/makeyourown.php#3

Check in the craft chat forum at diaper swappers - lots there. :yes

Mama Bird
09-21-2007, 12:03 PM
I have been crocheting my own wool soakers. I tried my first one with Lion's wool, purchased for around $5 at Walmart. I'm quite happy with it. I also went to a yarn store and bought some skeins of wool, and between the two skeins, I've made three covers.

I've been making wraps, as opposed to pull-up soakers. I can fasten them with pins or a snappi, and adjust them to fit anywhere from a newborn to a bigger baby.

The pattern I use is this one: http://www.tickleturdle.com/wrappattern.html

The edging is a bit weird if you just read it, but try it as you go. It makes perfect sense once you do it.

BearyBlessed
09-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Thank you! :kiss

Niphredil
09-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I have four skeins of ModaDea brand 100% wool I'd sell ya on the cheap. I decided wool wasn't for me. PM me if ya like.

clementine
09-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi:)
I am working my way throug a big pile of wool, making wraps and soakers for the new little one...(I am new to CD, but a lifelong knitter).
Most of the wools in the patterns I have seen are worsted weight, so in addition to the ones already listed (patons and lion and cascade, which is my fave), consider brown sheep (great colors!), or galway (by plymouth) as well.
If you have a local yarn store, you can sometimes pick up single skeins or balls on the cheap in the sale bins--they are often "leftovers" from individual dyelots, but that wouldn't matter, all of the above yarns will yeild at least one cover per skein...
I just finished one using noro kureyon (100% wool, kettle dyed) and it looks adorable:)