PDA

View Full Version : What is the longest lasting cloth diapering system....

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:23 PM
I assume it would be a certain type of prefold.... and what kind of wrap? Just wondering for future reference

inesperada
09-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Disclaimer: this is just an educated guess. That said, I think prefolds and wool. :)

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Disclaimer: this is just an educated guess. That said, I think prefolds and wool. :)

does it matter what kind of prefold?

I'm considering selling all of my FB's and going with a cheaper system

inesperada
09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
For endurance, I don't think it matters. Some are more absorbant than others, and hemp is a bit more durable fiber.

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:30 PM
For endurance, I don't think it matters. Some are more absorbant than others, and hemp is a bit more durable fiber.

which do you think is most absorbant? Hemp? Hemp is a lot of money though, that's the thing :think aren't they like 5 dollars each???

inesperada
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
Hemp or bamboo would be most absorbant, but yeah, both are pricey. Otherwise I'd probably go with unbleached indian prefolds.

BeckaBlue
09-14-2007, 12:46 PM
you can always get regular cotton prefolds and put a doubler in of the hemp or bamboo for more absorbency:shrug
and for covers, wool can last a long time in fit, but depends on how its done, some 'stitches' are stretchier than others

Moon
09-15-2007, 07:14 AM
(If you can sew a straight line, or know someone who would do it for you, you can usually get a yard of hemp fleece fabric for less than the cost of two stuffers or prefolds. For a pocket stuffer you could get away with no sewing, it's a knit fabric and won't fray. Just cut out a piece about four times the width of a stuffer, and fold it up before stuffing.)

zak
09-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I used the same 2 dozen prefolds for the full 2 years Reid was in diapers. :yes CHEAP! I got some covers 2nd hand from SILs and GCMs. My prefolds were the cheapy Gerber DSQ ones ($16 per dozen, I think). I had some 2nd hand doublers from SIL and they were plenty absorbent. :)

I did buy some new nicer prefolds recently - I think I got 3 dozen for $40 (I want to say they were about $1.10 each?). I plan on using them with the new babe. :)

Garnet
09-16-2007, 06:53 PM
they say indian prefolds are really nice and absorbant even though the sizes are a little off. ( different than cpfs) I've also heard good things about hemp. I can't say enough for my prefolds/flats. They are true work horses.

As for wraps, I think the bummis with velcro give a good length of time before you get new ones. I used my smalls for nearly a year.

Katigre
09-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Cheapest and longest-lasting? Prefolds - hands down. There is no elastic to get worn out, the worst that will happen is the fabric wears down over time and gets some holes - but even that takes years and years, and they are stil usable with small holes, unlike say a pocket with holes!

For covers, those can wear out sooner - but since they are not too expensive it's not a big deal to replace them. I would say covers can last 1-2 years in heavy rotation (meaning they are worn/washed every week). I don't personally like wool that much and prefer basic covers like BSWW, Proraps, Thirsties, and Motherease Airflow.

Garnet
09-16-2007, 07:03 PM
oh, I *WISH* I hadn't loaned my ME airflows to a certian neighbor lady turned husband thief. Those were great.

AmyDoll
09-16-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm still using the same Medium BSWWs that Sam used for Nicholas :yes I love them! And other than some discoloring on the *white* trim - they are in terrific shape. We only have one wrap that has velcro *issues* My MEs airflows are in good shape too - I don't like how they are *white* tho. The blue of the BSWW is much more forgiving.

Garnet
09-16-2007, 07:19 PM
my bsww are the natural color i find it to be forgiving too.

2sunshines
09-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I think that chinese prefolds are longer lasting than indians. at least in my experience. I have some from 6 years ago that you would never know are even used. I have some indians from a few months ago that have loose threads and stuff. no big deal, just not as durable as my chinese.

Soliloquy
09-16-2007, 07:27 PM
unbleached Chinese prefolds--no doubt IMO.

I'd go w/ an inexpensive cover, personally. Wool may last longer, and is better for overnight, all covers have elastic and elastic doesn't last forever--the wool won't be any good if the elastic is shot (and I am not crafty so I can't repair my own diapers).

So, IMO, unbleached Chinese prefolds w/ prowraps for the day and maybe a wool cover for overnight.

I don't have any bamboo diapers but I have read in multiples places that bamboo wears out quickly unless it is combined w/ another fiber.

I have some hemp and it's great for overnight. It takes a long time to dry, though, and I don't think it absorbs as quickly as other materials. I put cotton next to the skin and hemp underneath.

I don't think I'm buying any more pocket diapers, either. When I started buying pockets, I thought they would last for 3-4 kids and I'm finding some of them wore out before Simon was done w/ them. From now on, it's prefolds and covers in this house with maybe a few pockets for overnight.

Oh, and I bought my prefolds from cotton babies but I've gotten some 2nd hand ones from various people and they all seem about the same to me, as long as they're not from Target or something.

milkmommy
09-16-2007, 07:27 PM
I had a basic stash of flats and pull on dappi pants I started using at about 6 weeks and could use when she was 4 years. I did have to eventually size up in cover but the still lasted weigh past there size limit.

TestifyToLove
09-16-2007, 07:50 PM
I have premuim pfs I bought from GMD when my first was 7 months. That would be 8 years ago. I'm still using them for my current baby (though I've lost or loaned without return all but about 6 of them now). By the same token, I'm using BSWW snap covers on this baby that I bought with the GMD premuims 8 years ago now. I have maybe one or two with a snap missing, but they still work perfectly well. The white has become a cream color, which looks funky against the white leg casings because they stayed brighter white all these years. But, the covers are super for use and wear.

I used to have a Biobottoms wool soaker that my mother bought when my brother was a baby, 16 years ago. I gave it away several years ago but it was in pristine condition when I gave it away. I see Biobottoms wool covers show up every once in a while in cloth diaper circles and they get snapped up QUICK. Biobottoms has been out of business since around the time my oldest was born. So, any that are showing up and still usable are definitely older than 8 years.