PDA

View Full Version : Need a new nighttime toddler dipe

abbzchld
09-10-2007, 05:45 AM
Dd sleeps on her stomach with her bum up in the air. I think that is most of the problem. Her dipes are soaking through on the front all the way to the top edge. So, I'm wondering if it is leaking over the edge. :shrug I've gone through my entire stash and have been buying random new "attempts" that aren't cutting it either.

What are your sure-fire nighttime dipes? Before I blow more money in my search for the perfect nighttimer, I want some recommendations. :yes2

2sunshines
09-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Almost anything under a wool cover. Seriously. Wool rocks. Wool is bulletproof. I LOVE LOVE LOVE wool. :yes Did I say wool? :giggle

What have you been using? What have you tried that didn't work?

abbzchld
09-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Almost anything under a wool cover. Seriously. Wool rocks. Wool is bulletproof. I LOVE LOVE LOVE wool. :yes Did I say wool? :giggle

What have you been using? What have you tried that didn't work?

I love wool, too. She's outgrown my wool stash. We used aristocrats but they are so pricey and I didn't choose to replace them. What are your favorites in wool that aren't terribly expensive?

We've been using AIOs and pockets of all shapes, sizes, brands. The bg pocket works best but still leaks some. With many experiments in doublers and fibers.

2sunshines
09-10-2007, 06:55 AM
All of my wool is pretty cheap, I can't afford regular price wool. :no

I just bought used wool from people. One of my fave nighttime covers is a thick recycled cover. Another is a crocheted cover. Just keep your eye out on FSOT boards for something cheap. That's what worked for me.

hopeforchange
09-12-2007, 04:57 PM
but what do you put under your wool? i have pfs and a few fitteds, but she wets through them quick enough during the day that i know they wouldn't work at night. also, all that wet would be right against her skin all night.

my dd sometimes wets through a (target) disposable at night, other nights it's just full to capacity. so i need something really heavy duty!

2sunshines
09-12-2007, 05:01 PM
I do a variety of things under my wool. Sometimes an infant prefold trifolded inside a premium. Sometimes a dream eze fitted. Sometimes a peewell fitted. If you are worried about moisture on baby's skin, you can use a fleece liner. That will keep all moisture off baby.

fancifulfrog
09-12-2007, 05:02 PM
I use prefolds and wool exclusively now. I have had issues with everything BUT wool and prefolds. If you're intimidated by the cost of wool there are GREAT recycled covers you can get. Some of the banner ads here carry them. I'd look there first. You can get large longies for around $10-12 a piece. They look better than the alternatives in that price range.

abbzchld
09-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Has anyone used Tiny Tush wool? I was just approved as a wholesaler and the prices are great for wholesale.

2sunshines
09-13-2007, 05:04 AM
Never heard of them... Do you have a link? That's so sweet that you can get stuff at wholesale. :yes

abbzchld
09-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Never heard of them... Do you have a link? That's so sweet that you can get stuff at wholesale. :yes

http://www.tinytush.com/organic_wool_pullon_diaper_cover.htm They look "aristocratish"

Moon
09-15-2007, 07:31 AM
They don't have the name listed, those look exactly like Disana soakers. ;) (Another picture of Disana here (http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/wool-diaper-covers.html).)

With my heaviest super soaker toddler, no amount of stuffing a pocket would get him through the night. I tried longer than I should have due to so many people claiming they were a one size fits all solution, you just weren't stuffing it right. When I started putting him in all hemp fitteds, with hemp pocket stuffers as the doublers, under his sturdiest wool covers, he and my bed would both be dry come morning. Another trick to boost absorbancy is put a wool doubler between the shell of the fitted and the doubler(s). The wool doubler forces the absorbant stuff above it to absorb all it can before it lets the moisture through to the diaper. Then the wool soaker outside the whole shebang keeps anything from wicking.

The summer before he turned two we had to move him to all hemp during the day too. If we left him coverless he could pee right through a cotton fitted or prefold, literally! He'd be standing in a puddle.

A wool doubler is easily made from a pant or skirt you can get at the thrift store, no sewing required. Just felt it up in the washing machine and dryer, then cut out a doubler shaped piece. Lanolizing will boost it, but isn't necessary. These doublers have to be washed more often than regular wool, but they can go in the washer (which will reduce their lifespan, keep ahold of that felted thrift store find).

TuneMyHeart
09-15-2007, 08:26 AM
The only thing that gets us through the night is a cpf with 2 microfleece liners and a thick wool cover. The cpf is soaked in the morning, but we've never had a leak. The cover we use is by Sellin' Threads, but someone gave it to me, so I'm not sure where she got it.

I've heard good things about Bear Bottoms and am thinking about trying one. http://www.diaperware.com/productpage/dancingbears.htm We could use a second nighttime cover.

abbzchld
09-15-2007, 08:46 AM
The summer before he turned two we had to move him to all hemp during the day too. If we left him coverless he could pee right through a cotton fitted or prefold, literally! He'd be standing in a puddle.

I'm glad mine isn't the only one who leaves puddles while coverless!

A wool doubler is easily made from a pant or skirt you can get at the thrift store, no sewing required. Just felt it up in the washing machine and dryer, then cut out a doubler shaped piece. Lanolizing will boost it, but isn't necessary. These doublers have to be washed more often than regular wool, but they can go in the washer (which will reduce their lifespan, keep ahold of that felted thrift store find).

I had my first try at this a few weeks back. Ok, so I'm not "Jane Homemaker." I threw the sweet wool doubler I had cut out into the wash. With my other cloth diapers. Let's just say that many of my diapers are now a different color. I didn't think to test the wool's dye for bleeding... :blush :blush :blush