PDA

View Full Version : how much would you pay for used cd's?

Garnet
09-09-2007, 06:25 PM
I saw a discussion on diaper swappers that it seems so many people are using/selling cloth dipes in so many places, private forums, e bay, craigs list, diaperswappers, etc that the poster was complaining she'll have to give hers away just to make room for others.

I said I would only pay approxiamtely half price for used diapers and I got a few pm's saying that wasn't right..............I should consider the amount of usage it got, if the stash was big or small, if it was a "specialty" diaper and cost more etc.

But to me that doesn't matter so much....I mean its *used* for crying out loud. If it were even something they had only used a couple of times...I wouldn't pay lets say $20 for a used Aristocrat when they retail for $26.......I could spend the extra $6 and get a new one.

WHats your take on it?

Katiebug
09-09-2007, 06:29 PM
I tend to agree with you. The only exception is larger lots, when people have only used something once or twice and it didn't work for them. For example, 10 mother ease diapers. Say they are $11/each new, and some one is selling a lot of 10 for $80, worn and washed once. That will save me $30, plus tax, plus the time and gas going to my local store to buy them. So, while it's only a small fraction off per diaper, saving $30 is still significant to me and my budget,

Soliloquy
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
ITA, I will only pay about half, unless someone says they washed it but never used it, or if they only used it once and didn't like it, then I'll pay more.

ITA, I don't understand why someone would pay $12 or $13 for used Fuzzi Bunz when you can get them new for just a bit more. :shrug I'd rather pick out all the colors that I really want for a few more dollars.

BeckaBlue
09-09-2007, 06:32 PM
it does depend for me....a custom id pay closer to what it retails for than a typical whatever, yk?
for a dipe only used a few times id pay closer to retail also
certain brands that have a higher resale i will pay more for (fb's retail for $18, bu are difficult to find at $10 or less that are still in gc, without shot elastic, snap flaws or whatnot :shrug)

Mama Rophe
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
I tend to agree with you. The only exception is larger lots, when people have only used something once or twice and it didn't work for them. For example, 10 mother ease diapers. Say they are $11/each new, and some one is selling a lot of 10 for $80, worn and washed once. That will save me $30, plus tax, plus the time and gas going to my local store to buy them. So, while it's only a small fraction off per diaper, saving $30 is still significant to me and my budget,

:yes

Garnet
09-09-2007, 06:46 PM
okay, but how do you really know its only been used once or twice? I understand int he case of the whole lot not working for someone.....but if its an individual dipe how do you know? I've gotten used fb's for $5 to $8 that look new. :shrug

BeckaBlue
09-09-2007, 06:53 PM
just hafta trust it, and with good detailed pictures, its pretty easy to tell :shrug
never seen a fb that looked new for under $8-9....or maybe i have and it was the wrong size so i didnt pay much attention :think

inesperada
09-09-2007, 07:11 PM
just hafta trust it, and with good detailed pictures, its pretty easy to tell :shrug
never seen a fb that looked new for under $8-9....or maybe i have and it was the wrong size so i didnt pay much attention :think

:yes I can usually tell by how much pilling if it's really only been used a couple times. And in response to the original question, it totally depends. :shrug If it's brand new or barely used, I'll pay more. If it has been used, not more than half.

I'm with you, though. I see a lot of dipes fs that are way too close to what they cost new for my tastes. I think people don't realize that there are a lot of places to get things with free shipping - they think that $12ppd on a dipe that retails for $13-14 is a super good deal, and it's not imo. :shrug

Mother of Sons
09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
It doesn't have to be as low as half off for me. I was willing to pay 12-13 dollars for used bumgenius with inserts in vgc. Yeah, they are only a few more dollars each new, but since I wanted to get 12, that's not just a few dollars difference anymore, that's a difference of 60 dollars. That's pretty significant to me. I do think that most things on diaper swappers are much much too high, especially for the conditions of some of them.

Calliope
09-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Generally, I agree with you about not paying more than 1/2 retail for a used diaper. However, I think there are some plain and simple market economics at play here. If someone out there is willing to pay more than half retail for a used diaper then it is worth that much. A good example are Kissaluvs size Os. They're about $11 (plus shipping) retail and I rarely see them go for less than $8 or $9 ppd each used on Diaperswappers. I got one washed but never used for $8 ppd a few weeks ago and felt like I hit the lottery. On the other hand, you can often get 1st quality Fuzzi Bunz on clearance NEW for $12. I saw a mama try and sell her used FBs for $13 on DS and a bunch of people replied to her thread and said that was way too much given they could get one new for less. She then lowered the price.

If you don't like the price of something, don't buy it. If someone else is willing to pay that much, good for them. :shrug

TestifyToLove
09-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Generally, I don't buy used diapers. A few pockets and covers. But, my DSQs and the rare fitted, I buy new. Personally, I think what it comes down to is that there are women who justify paying outrageous prices for diapers new because they look at a resale value. If they get X back, then they really only paid Y-X for the diaper and not really Y as it says. And, I don't agree with that concept. At the end of the day, you are paying money for something for your baby to pee and poop in. Buy it for its function, not on a gamble that you'll get so much back later that it won't cost you so much in the long run.

milkmommy
09-09-2007, 09:44 PM
overal I tend to agree with the 1/2 resale thing. I tend to not buy used because the diapers I like are the less expesnive ones anyways and I have "smaller" stash so I need them to last.
I have payed closer to the orginal price if I've really known the seller and kinda the history. Like I bought some Bummi prints from a lady for $8.00 each. I also remembered when she asked for suggestions when she announced they'd arrived and less than a month latter when she said Well my DC potty trained so now I have 4 almost new covers :giggle I would have payed around $10 each if I'd boughten them new I was about to buy some new so $8 for coveres that have been used in rotation around 1 month seemed quite fair to me.

Deanna

schmamy
09-10-2007, 12:30 PM
wow...please tell me where you get used dipes at half price. I spent tons of time looking at different websites to build my stash...couldn't find much better deals than 80% of retail, ppd, for dipes in EUC. I felt like that was a pretty good deal--as PPs have said, if you're buying multiple dipes, a couple dollars each adds up--not to mention not having to pay shipping since most used dipes are sold ppd.
:shrug

Garnet
09-10-2007, 01:16 PM
nak...........diaperswappers......but i have to be super vigilant about looking.....i go back 3 pages sometimes to find what i want and then i offer half price if they have items that didn"t sell.

milkmommy
09-10-2007, 01:28 PM
here and its pretty much how I resell.

Deanna

Calliope
09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
nak...........diaperswappers......but i have to be super vigilant about looking.....i go back 3 pages sometimes to find what i want and then i offer half price if they have items that didn"t sell.

I do the same thing. I very rarely pay what they are actually asking (unless it already super cheap). I always try to bargain.

2sunshines
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
It depends on what you want. If you are going after diapers that are really good and sell well, you aren't going to find them at half price. That's just the way it is because people are going to snatch them up before they get that low. However, if you don't care as much and are willing to take diapers that are not as popular, then you can get them much lower.

Classic supply and demand theory. :shrug

Garnet
09-12-2007, 06:01 PM
a big problem at many other diaper selling boards is mommas do it for fashion, but not to be eco friendly, or to save baby from wearing all those chemicals on their skin day in and out. Ick. so you pay more for fashion. i'm all for function.

Soliloquy
09-12-2007, 06:50 PM
It depends on what you want. If you are going after diapers that are really good and sell well, you aren't going to find them at half price. That's just the way it is because people are going to snatch them up before they get that low. However, if you don't care as much and are willing to take diapers that are not as popular, then you can get them much lower.

Classic supply and demand theory. :shrug

Yes, that is very true. If you have your heart set on certain colors or prints you're going to pay more. I'm all about function and economy. I have a friend that was a CD addict for awhile. She had a gorgeous stash, including a whole box of dipes that were never, ever worn. :yes

illinoismommy
09-12-2007, 08:26 PM
what a good question, we bought ours new.... I'm not sure they're going to last until reselling.... FB's do seem to wear down, probably faster than a "work horse" diaper like prefolds and wraps.... perhaps next time I buy diapers I will stop being a lazy bum and buy the cheaper ones that will last me forever more :O

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
so when you sell used diapers .... how do you determine how much they are worth? is there a chart online? some of mine are in better condition/newer than others, but they are all used :shrug

inesperada
09-14-2007, 12:31 PM
I'd go over to diaperswappers and search the forums for the same dipes in similar condition to see what they're going for. :)

milkmommy
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
If I sell I tend to ask for 1/2 or less unless its was a tried once didn't fit then I ask cloerto orginal price minus say 10-15% I'm also often consider price changes from the buyer. I'm more for passing cloth to be used by another mama then making money.

Deanna

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:33 PM
I was thinking what does it mean "excellent used condition" :hunh

inesperada
09-14-2007, 12:36 PM
I was thinking what does it mean "excellent used condition" :hunh

I thought we used to have a sticky on that here. Typically for diapers, it means no stains or holes and minimal pilling of fleece, microfiber, aplix, etc. and the elastic is still in good condition. VGUC would mean that one of those areas was just a little off, GUC would mean everything was a little lower than EUC *or* one of those areas was in rough shape.

Does that even make sense?

illinoismommy
09-14-2007, 12:42 PM
yes thanks

now i have to go because david wants me away from computer i can see ........