PDA

View Full Version : If you bought presents for the big sibs from the new baby....

klpmommy
09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
what did you get them? I want to do this & I have a couple of books for each of them, but it just doesn't seem like the "right" thing. So I am looking for ideas. P is going to be a new 5 when the baby is born & E is going to be almost 4. I know what they both like, but I can't seem to think of the "special" thing that would hold meaning for them. Or does it even need to have special meaning?

blessedwithboys
09-06-2007, 07:02 PM
The best thing that our baby bought for his big brother :shifty ;) was a new veggie tales movie. Big bro. didn't stay interested in baby for as long as Daddy wanted to stay at the hospital. Our suite had a dvd player in it so he could sit and watch that when he got bored with the baby that really didn't want to play. Then Daddy could hang out for a bit and not have to leave.

I wasn't going for special meaning. Maybe I should've. :think

The Tickle Momster
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
I made mini ring slings for my older kiddos. They love putting their dolls in them and being like mom. Dd will even ask me to do hers like a wrap, since I wrap more than sling.

JJsMom
09-06-2007, 09:44 PM
I bought my ds a weeble camper at a rummage sale. It didn't have special meaning, I just wanted something that he could play with while I was taking care of baby. My bf gave him Blue's Clues videos, which were a life saver!

Singingmom
09-06-2007, 09:50 PM
My boys picked out their gifts all on their own, which in itself made them special. :) They were just little stuffed animals that jingled and squeaked. To this day, their little sis knows those are the gifts the boys gave her when she was born. :heart

Duh :doh ...I misread your question and told you what the big sibs got for the baby. Let me try again. :shifty When ds #2 was born, I chose a stuffed Eeyore for him to give his big bro just because he had a collection of classic pooh that he really liked and he was missing Eeyore. I don't think baby #3 gave her big bros anything... :think

BHope
09-06-2007, 09:54 PM
When DD1 became a big sister, I gave her a ring sling and a baby doll so that she could mother her baby while I mothered mine.

This time I've framed pictures of both girls (DD1 and DD2) as sleeping newborns. I wanted to get them something that would remind them that they too were once itty-bitties. Plus, they both LOVE pictures of themselves.

jenn3514
09-08-2007, 12:55 PM
With bay number two, we did an art kit. Baby three, a doll and some supplies. baby four, little tabletop lite-brites. Just little stuff to keep them busy. Baby five-dd wants a new room if it is another girl!

Cheyenne
09-08-2007, 01:05 PM
When my youngest was born, the girls got baby dolls so they could have a baby to take care of and my son got a stick horse since he was into cowboys at the time. They weren't anything special as much as they were something to help give them something to do and a nice treat.

SansSouci
09-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't think it has to hold any special meaning. My dd was 2.5 y/o when ds was born. She was just excited to get a new toy! lol She LOVED it when people dropped by with a gift for the baby and a gift for her. She got a lot of dolls - I guess so she could pretend to be a mommy.

We got her a gift "from the baby" - we got her a "I'm a big Sister" book as well as a sling for her to carry her dolls. She LOVES the sling, and still uses it almost 2 years later! The book was perfect as well - it talks about how special SHE is now that she's a big sister!

Amber
09-17-2007, 02:35 PM
Cole was 2yrs when Kyle was born, and Kyle gave him a pounding bench (the kind where you hit the pegs, turn it over and do it again)...Cole was big into hitting things at the time :shifty

klpmommy
09-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I got them each a couple of books that I can read while nursing & a video. I have also stocked up on craft stuff, but I will dole that out more carefully.