PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound about right? washing instructions

klpmommy
09-06-2007, 02:45 PM
I am trying to (in my crazy nesting phase) to write up cd wash instructions for when my MIL is up here (plus it will help me). This is what I have typed up- can you do a quick critique of it? TIA.

What to do with a wet or soiled cloth diaper:

If it has an insert, remove the insert & put both parts in the diaper pail- it is a dry pail. No need to dump newborn poop or to “swish” in the toilet.

If it doesn’t have an insert, just put the whole thing in the diaper pail. Again, no need to dump the poop or swish in the toilet.

If there is a plastic cover do not put it in the pail unless it has poop on it. Wipe down any urine with a cloth wipe & it can be reused several times in a day.

How to wash cloth diapers:

Dump out the blue bag in the diaper pail & put it along with all the diapers in the washer. Do a cold rinse.

When rinse is done, wash diapers on hot with 1T of laundry detergent.

When wash is done, the diapers can be hung to dry on the drying rack. If there is a “desperate need” for clean diapers, they can be dried in the dryer with the 4 blue balls that are in there already.

inesperada
09-06-2007, 02:56 PM
:tu

Mother of Sons
09-06-2007, 03:13 PM
That sounds fine to me. I don't reuse covers because I think they smell but I know lots of people who do. :tu

singbanshee
09-07-2007, 05:23 AM
looks good to me....

although you'll laugh cause I've actually shown my mom how to do them since she's here and she still somewhat didn't get it but I give her :clap for just trying :)

klpmommy
09-07-2007, 05:57 AM
Thank you! I printed it & posted it above the washer. My MIL is a germ freak & I know she is going to want to use bleach (but I don't have any) & swish in the toilet, etc. My mom won't touch them while here except to change Binkiness. We'll see how it goes. I am not too worried, my MIL will only be here for a couple of days. :)

BornFreeBaby
09-07-2007, 06:03 AM
I don't think there is any need to separate the inserts from the diapers.. they all come out in the wash anyway- maybe one less step for you mom. :shrug

Soliloquy
09-07-2007, 06:09 AM
What are the blue balls? I'm curious.

We dry our dipes in the dryer all the time and they're fine, if it will make things easier for you.

Oh, and I do the same thing--I don't keep bleach ANYWHERE in our house because if I did, my mom would use it no matter how emphatically I told her not to. When we were living w/ her and drove me :hissyfit

klpmommy
09-07-2007, 06:14 AM
These are dryer balls-
http://www.amazon.com/Ontel-as-seen-on-tv/dp/B000AMG192/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6910631-8748435?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1189170655&sr=8-1

I just started using them in place of dryer sheets. I just started to use them, but they seem to work well to keep the static down. I was concerned for the cold winter & the static with my clothes b/c it drives me crazy.

I figure the dryer is a good back up plan for now. I already have a drying rack (at one point in my life I had no dryer so everything was dried on it) so this will put it to good use rather than yet another dust collector. If I don't like it I can always go back to using the dryer, kwim? This whole thing is an experiement for me anyway. :)

2sunshines
09-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I think it sounds really good. I'm impressed that you're trusting your mil to wash your diapers. I don't trust anyone to touch my diapers, but I'm a little diaper-fanatic. :O

klpmommy
09-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Not so much trusting as I know her. When she comes to visit my kitchen remains spotless the entire time, a load of clothes never goes unfolded for more than a few minutes, etc. The messy me sooooooo appreciates her doing stuff that I can't tell her no, esp since she will only be here a few days & in that time may not wash anything, but I like to be prepared. ;)

AdrienneQW
09-07-2007, 08:27 PM
May I add a suggestion? If you are using any aplix/touchtape/velcro type closures, either add to the list or be sure to show her how to fold back the closures onto the laundry tabs - otherwise you'll pull a big ol' diaper snake out of your dryer. :giggle If you only have snap closures, disregard. :)

klpmommy
09-09-2007, 05:10 PM
May I add a suggestion? If you are using any aplix/touchtape/velcro type closures, either add to the list or be sure to show her how to fold back the closures onto the laundry tabs - otherwise you'll pull a big ol' diaper snake out of your dryer. :giggle If you only have snap closures, disregard. :)

good point!! Thank you, adding it now. :)

2sunshines
09-09-2007, 05:42 PM
:yes Excellent addition. Not only do you want to avoid the diaper snake, but the unfastened aplix can snag some of your precious diapers. :no2

schmamy
09-09-2007, 06:08 PM
only one tablespoon of detergent, really?!

inesperada
09-09-2007, 06:09 PM

Any more than that typically leads to buildup problems.

schmamy
09-09-2007, 06:10 PM

Any more than that typically leads to buildup problems.

wow...I wouldn't think that'd be enough to get them clean! :scratch

inesperada
09-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I use a little less than a tablespoon per load of Allen's and they come out clean and fresh. :)