PDA

View Full Version : a few first timer questions:)

clementine
09-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi!
Baby #3 is due halloween...we are ready to try cloth this time around, I am so excited!
I have a few questions for your experienced mamas, if you don't mind sharing your opinions:)

I am looking at fitted diapers with wraps, mainly because they seem the most economical for us (I knit and sew, so I am going to make wool wraps to keep the cost down. Does this make sense? Or as a newbie, should I buy a "set" ready to go?
My main question at the moment is sizing--should I go with a newborn or more small/medium? I know it is hard to tell, not seeing the actual babe:)
Both of my girls were 7lbs at birth, so I am thinking nb/small would be ok for a while, but I don't want to buy a lot of things we won't use...
any advice?

inesperada
09-04-2007, 06:38 AM
I'd get the nbs, especially kissaluvs 0's or something similar. Mr. H was almost 9 lbs at birth and weighs at least 9.5 now and the smalls still don't fit him (he's two weeks).

2sunshines
09-04-2007, 06:47 AM
I think the idea of making your own wool wraps is great. I'd be doing that if I had a bit of talent. :yes Wool is the best cover imo.

As for fitteds, you probably want some newborns.

me
09-04-2007, 07:26 AM
Newborns dont move around to much so you could take advantage of this by perfecting your diaper making at this time. If you sew and knit I would say do it on your own.
Sew you some cute fitteds or some prefolds with an area where you can hold it with a snappi. But you dont even need the diaper to secure if you sew some wraps with velcro.
That was and is still my favorite. Super easy, super fast, and super inexpensive.
You just lay the prefold down on the wrap and close. Prefolds can be out of anything. My favorites were the ones out of receiving blankets because of the cute prints, but the t-shirt ones were the softest.
And the wraps can have touch tape if they are fleece. Great thing about fleece is it is self seaming. You can just cut the shape and sew on the velcro and elastic. No seams needed, the raw edge rolls in when its washed.
Or you can knit you a cute wrap and use large buttons. Or put your fitteds under a wool soaker with a drawstring waist.
Oh, the possibilities are endless :)
But ya, personally I like fitteds under soakers. Prefolds under wraps.

BeckaBlue
09-04-2007, 01:12 PM
ive got a variety of nb's and sms, i figure well need to use the nb's for awhile mostly cause all mine have been the ones who wear sposie nb's for about a month (and my first did for 3mts, she needed preemies a good bit of that, but they hadnt been out yet) but i have plenty of smalls as fillers too :yes

and im due on halloween too :sillygrin

clementine
09-04-2007, 05:10 PM
thanks so much for the advice:) I am going to start experimenting (more knitting than sewing--I am having a hard time fitting behind the machine:)