PDA

View Full Version : Smelly diapers?

Dandelion
09-03-2007, 09:29 PM
:cry I am on baby #4 now and have gone back and forth between cloth, disposables and with #3 gdiapers. My biggest problems with cloth have been that I hate having extra laundry and that my diapers smell disgusting. I was very frustrated and I recently gave all of my cloth diapers away. However I would love to reduce the amount of junk I am adding to the landfills out there - I have such guilt over it! Any advice about smelly diapers? I usually let the dirty ones (wiped as clean as possible) sit dry for 3-4 days then rinsed them through the washing machine with no soap, just vinegar and then washed with soap and vinegar. But once they were peed on again they smelled terrible! Help!

MarynMunchkins
09-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Usually when diapers smell like that they need to be stripped. Wash them in the hottest water you can get (boiling is good ;) ), and hang them in the sun. Use a *little* bit of soap - I think it's Dawn that is supposed to strip really well.

Vinegar can actually make it worse if you have hard water.

I just stripped mine the other day, and it made a huge difference. :)

2sunshines
09-04-2007, 06:11 AM
I agree with Mary. It sounds like you're diapers need to be stripped.

Original blue dawn dish soap works well. Just a little bit. Hot hot water. Rinse and rinse and rinse until there are no bubbles left.

Mother of Sons
09-04-2007, 06:13 AM
Possibly too much vinegar. I have found that I can use vinegar occassionally but if I use it regularly, my diapers reek.

klpmommy
09-04-2007, 08:51 AM
Possibly too much vinegar. I have found that I can use vinegar occassionally but if I use it regularly, my diapers reek.

oooo- good to know. I thought vinegar was good for the diapers to be washed in every time.

2sunshines
09-04-2007, 08:53 AM
I've heard about vinegar and know some people use it, but I personally have never used it. My washing system works, and the way I figure, why mess with a working system, you know? I know that vinegar is bad for some types of diapers and under some kinds of water system (hard water for example) so it just makes me too nervous adding something like that to my diapers.