PDA

View Full Version : ooo! i have a stash started! how does this look so far?

crunchymum
09-01-2007, 11:45 AM
there is SO much info out there... i'm not sure what i'm doing, lol!

our plan is to EC and part time CD... i still need to read more on ec'ing, but i thought i'd come hear to get btdt from you ladies!

we received some used newborn dipes, do you think this sounds ok to start?
5 kissaluvs fitted
6 kissaluvs contours
5 bummis whisper wraps
1 bummis polarfleece
a couple of vinyl pants

everything is a size small and is in really good condition. :) the woman who gave them to me said i probably don't even need a cover with the fitteds with a newborn... is that true? :scratch

is there an easy "how to wash diapers" link? i have front loaders...

tia!

inesperada
09-01-2007, 11:51 AM
I am finding that during the day at home, we don't need a cover with the fitteds. At night or if we want to go out and expect clothes to stay dry, covers are necessary.

cindergretta
09-01-2007, 02:36 PM
I only have 1 Kissaluv and I just adore it..... :melting

Sounds awesome! Newborns pee a lot, but not much at once. So they can go without a cover at home during the day. :yes In fact, it seems like that could go hand-in-hand with EC'ing.... :think

BeckaBlue
09-01-2007, 02:46 PM
:tu id say that's enough covers :yes esp cause covers arent needed all the time (even for older kids...good to let their butts get some air without chancing a horrible mess of pee/poo) id say definately for fitteds/contuors/pf's though :yes probably even w/ ec, but i could be wrong on that :scratch

2sunshines
09-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Yea, I'd get some more fitteds or prefolds or whatever.

crunchymum
09-03-2007, 10:03 PM
ok, i'll do that. :yes

can someone give me the "dummy's guide to washing cloth diaper's"? in really easy terms? :giggle

fancifulfrog
09-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Washing....

Pre-rinse in cold water. Wash on the longest hottest cycle you have with 1/2 the amount of detergent you'd normally use. ****NO fabric softeners**** I usually do an extra rinse cycle at the end and boom you're done.

Firebird Rising
09-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Washing....

Pre-rinse in cold water. Wash on the longest hottest cycle you have with 1/2 the amount of detergent you'd normally use. ****NO fabric softeners**** I usually do an extra rinse cycle at the end and boom you're done.

Ditto. I don't rinse at the end, but it's just 'cause I'm usually so out of diapers I need to get them done ASAP :lol

Jen

cindergretta
09-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Washing....

This is how I do it.... :yes

BeckaBlue
09-03-2007, 10:28 PM
I wash just like i wash my clothes....one wash, no 2nd rinse, no prewash, with very little detergent (maybe a tablespoon or 2? i dont measure, just do a quick drop and up type dump)...i even usually would use cold water cause i dont have hot water to my washer. rarely had an issue, and a single 'wash w/ no detergent (I have no 2nd rinse option on my washer) and hanging to dry in the sun cleared it up :shrug
oh, and i dont use fabric softeners on my reg clothes either.

I know different waters can change how well certain washes work for you, which i think is where wash routines can get sticky

crunchymum
09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
:tu

and stripping? when and how do you do that?

klpmommy
09-04-2007, 08:50 AM
:popcorn for the wash instructions....

What my current "plan" is- rinse in cold, wash in hot with a downy ball (vinegar instead of fabric softener). 1T (I measure, I am weird about stuff like that) of detergent. I may or may not rinse again, depending on what is going on. I added in a couple of drops of TTO for my used diapers, but don't plan to do that on a regular basis. After reading another thread on here about smelly diapers I think I will ixnay the vinegar for every wash.

I am working on streamlining my wash process anyway so that everything gets done basically the same way- one detergent, no fabric softeners at all (actually I just bought some blue dryer balls & gave away all my fabric softener sheets). For me if I can do it all the same way I will be much more successful.

2sunshines
09-04-2007, 08:56 AM
You only strip when there's a problem (or sometimes when you get used dipes just to make sure).

In my years of cd'ing, I've only stripped once.

To strip, use a little bit of original blue dawn dishsoap. Hot hot water. Then rinse and rinse and rinse until there are no bubbles.

knitlove
09-05-2007, 07:50 AM
this is purely hypothetical for me but: what detergent do you use? I only use about two table spoons of the concentrated detergent on my extra large loads of clothe , how little are you using on diapers?

fancifulfrog
09-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Personally we use a crunchy detergent that is also concentrated. It takes less than an oz.

BeckaBlue
09-05-2007, 02:59 PM
i used all free and clear liquid, dont measure, but figure about 2TBSP roughly per load

mollobe
09-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I found this website a while ago that gives the best and worst detergents to use for cloth diapers: http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

I'm using Purex Free and Clear for all my baby stuff (diapers and clothing) - I've always been a fan of Purex because it's so cheap (and the Mountain Breeze scent smells SO good), so I was excited to see that the Purex Free and Clear is recommended on the above site. I got a big bottle of it at Target for like $4 ! :rockon
Oh, and I plan to hang the dipes in the sun if (or should I say when ;)) they get stained.

knitlove
09-06-2007, 06:48 AM
i used all free and clear liquid, dont measure, but figure about 2TBSP roughly per load

a load of diapers?

BeckaBlue
09-06-2007, 06:54 AM

a load of diapers?

a load of anything

knitlove
09-06-2007, 07:31 AM
:ty

klpmommy
09-07-2007, 06:10 AM
I thought you weren't supposed to use free & clears with cloth diapers?

2sunshines
09-07-2007, 07:02 AM
:shrug Some people hate them, some people swear by them.

I've heard contradicting info.

slingmamaof4
09-07-2007, 07:10 AM
I use Purex Free & Clear. But I am new at this. I heard it was a good one to use. Those who don't use free&clears what do you use?

BeckaBlue
09-07-2007, 07:46 PM
ive heard both ways, should and shouldnt
i use all fc cause ive had no issues with it and its been safe fr all my kids...kenzie can't use purex, abbey cant use tide...ive used all all of niks life and hes not had a prblem, so i stick with it....i do wanna try the sams detergent, but im worried about reactions :/