PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about DS being scared at night?

ElectricEarth
08-22-2007, 10:11 AM
My 2 1/2 yo DS has been really scared at night lately. He's afraid of bad guys and robots coming into his room. We're pretty careful with what he watches on TV. He has a vivid imagination, though. When I was little, I remember being really scared to go to bed. I was particularly scared of UFOs coming to get me. The feeling of laying in bed terrified is horrible, and I don't want my little guy to have to deal with it.

My DH and I are at a loss as to what to do. We've been telling him about how Jesus is bigger and stronger than the robots/bad guys and that we're safe with Him. We pray with and for him every night. When he goes to bed he has a night light on, his "night night music" playing, a big Curious George to snuggle, his binkie, and a cup of water to drink. Co-sleeping all night really isn't an option right now (there's 3 of us in a not-so-comfy queen right now, and my DH is a pretty big guy. One more makes it really uncomfortable).

Any suggestions? It hurts my heart to think of my son being scared at night. :cry

Naked Camper
08-22-2007, 10:14 AM
:cry poor little guy! Maybe get a copy of the very first Veggie Tales where they do the "God is Bigger than the Boogieman" seal :shrug

JessicaTX
08-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Mine are a bit older, but i got a bottle of lavender linen spray from the dollar tree, and taped a label over it that said sweet dreams spray. my kids spray their beds before they go to sleep, and it's really helped with the staying in bed and sleeping all night issues. I have a friend who's done the same except hers is monster spray, and it works for her kids as well =) but make sure you limit the spray lol. I don't think it would be comfortable to sleep on a damp bed, mine do 3 squirts.

Naked Camper
08-22-2007, 10:20 AM
I just thought of another thing - it's called Rescue Sleep (http://www.bachrescuesleep.com/) by Bach. Supposed to help calm your emotions at bedtime :shrug