PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't like to show off CDs

milkmommy
08-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I occasionally post on a few boards including cloth diapering ones. I CDed Cecilia almost from birth till she trained at over 4.5 years so I have some real experience. Although I've shareda few fun fluffy pictures and have been excited over a few cute items I'm jsut not into CD for cute thing. Not at least like some. Soemtimes though I feel alone becaue honestly I care way more about function ease and cost overall than how addorable it is. :shifty
Oh this isn't a complaint for those that do just wondered if there were more like me.

Deanna

BeckaBlue
08-12-2007, 09:21 PM
i love to show them off :giggle but im definately in it more for the cost and how well they work :yes i try to get the cutest, most functionable dipes i can for as little as possible (but oh my i was drooling when i saw an embroidered berryplush earlier today, for $23 :eek even if i possibly could buy a dipe right now i couldn't imagine spending that much for ONE! ill go less cute (but still cute, just not drooly cute) to get multiple for that price)

Iarwain
08-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I'm totally into function, ease, and low cost. I like cute too but only when it doesn't cost extra. Fortunately I sew so Rosebud has a few dipes that match her dresses and a couple adorable bead trimmed wool covers I made out of a pretty recycled sweater and they didn't cost me anything.

me
08-13-2007, 10:51 AM
"I'm just not into CD for cute thing"..... :yes
:raise I have made a few that make me smile while on her because they are just sooooo cute on her but the majority of the time, and once the novelty of the just made cute ones wears off, they are like undies to me. They serve a purpose but give me no kind of continual joy :giggle
:shrug Just like I dont show off my ds's spider man boxers I dont show off my dd's cute pink flufffy covers.

(Glad to be back on line and see you here :) I was wondering if I would get back on and not recognize anyone)

milkmommy
08-13-2007, 11:05 AM
(Glad to be back on line and see you here happy smile I was wondering if I would get back on and not recognize anyone)

Welcome back :hi2

deanna

LadybugSam
08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
oh me too. I loved them. I did think they were cute. But i was more interested in cost and functionality.

I have on friend who is obsessed with them. Obsessed. She will buy a diaper ("for cheap" usually) just because thats what everyone else on diaperswappers is raving about right now and then try it once or twice and then sell it agian. crazy. She spends more money on shipping all these diapers out than she does on the diapers she actually keeps. I don't get that.

milkmommy
08-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Yea I'll be bluntly honest I can get having fluffy fun getting caught up in on occasional extra cute fluff of the month thing I get buying top quality and not really "saving" with cloth peoples reasons differ and not everyone does it for cost. :shrug What I can't get are stashes in the many thousands and baby is 8 months old I don't get the need for 250 custom cloth diapers (not including covers) I just don't now if someone wants to spend there money that way well :shrug However I will say I don't get it. :giggle. I don't get laughing at putting the family in debt over Hyenna stockings or hiding CC bills. I've seen some impressive stashes most I find fun to look at and thing :shrug still not for me but hey shes having fun but when it gets excessive I just don't get it and frankly get a bit turned off with the notion there still "protecting the enviroment" or call sell them and aren't lossing that much. :shrug

A few years ago there was a lady on another parenting board that after adding up what thy'd spend (100's of custom diapers 100's of covers) they could have bought a car! :jawdrop oh and there child was like 14 months at the time. :no serious it was like around $10,000 even with resales :jawdrop extreme case for sure.

Deanna

me
08-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Ones diaper stash....... is another's eating out bill........ Namely, mine :O :giggle
I bet we could have bought a car with what we have spent :O

BeckaBlue
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM
:laughtears

I figure, between nik, abbey, and the new baby, before resales ive spent about $400, i still have quite a few of nik's dipes, and some that id gotten for abbey, sold off quite a few, probably $100-150 is a rough guess, so im at about $250-300 for 2 potty trained kids and a newbie who's not here yet. i figure ill probably end up around $100-150 more total by the time the baby's potty trained, so about $500-550 for 3 kids before reselling any more...and might i say i have a lot of cute diapers to show for it :heart

Lantern Light Mama
08-13-2007, 01:44 PM
Ok, we were in whole foods over the weekend and I saw a baby with a diaper on and no pants over it. It was obviously fuzzy buns . Don't most people put clothes over diapers? Or do they like to show them off?

BeckaBlue
08-13-2007, 01:46 PM
nik lived in t-shirts and diapers :shrug partly to show them off, but more so to keep him cool

Lantern Light Mama
08-13-2007, 01:54 PM
That does make sense. Its been really hot here.

shercurrie
08-13-2007, 06:00 PM
To each their own. But personally
Soemtimes though I feel alone becaue honestly I care way more about function ease and cost overall than how addorable it is. I'm totally with you there. CPFs, BSWWs, a couple of FBs for babysitters, and that's it for me.

zak
08-13-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm with you! I'm not into the "cuteness" factor at all. We use prefolds and covers. Nothing special or extra cute (in fact, Reid has been known to wear pink and purple hand-me-down covers from my nieces! :giggle ).

Marielle
08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
um, I'm the woman that must have UNIFORMITY. Otherwise it drives me mad. So when bought my first stash it was all the same and when I sewed my first stash it was 49 diapers worth of same colored PUL, soaker fabric and snaps.

I'm now knee deep in sewing up another 30 diapers all in white PUL with matching but plain colored inners and matching snaps. I'm all about the function, I use FOE for the edging and elastic and a book binding type soaker attachment. Not the cutest diaper but they work for our kids and my husband can decipher them.

*shudder* the thought of tons of varied fluffy little diapers is enough to send me into a panic.

milkmommy
08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
We actually choose basic one size and simple flannel fitted as our main diaper. DH doesn't "get" prefolds so they round off our stash and are used for other things (burp cloths changing pads ect) but we did decide for us it was worth the higher cost to get ones that for us functioned well. I went for a few "cute" covers yes for fun but our main CD uniform was a fitted OS (tiny tush $8 each) or a tiny tots fitted $4 each and a pull on dappi cover $2 cloth ez cover ($7) or occasional BSWW $10. and we did have some AIOs
We spent (once all was said and done) about $600 including some more custom CDs wipes wet bags and laundry cost as she got older and needed more independancy. But heck we figured if we had done disposables for 4 years 7 months... we once figured a consertive estimate would have been around $3200

Deanna

4MKfam
08-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Nope. I'm with you. If gerber cheapies and plastic pants worked, I'd be using them :lol. I'm pretty much a prorap (seconds) and cpf kinda mommy. I did get some fb's for nighttime and the rare times we've had sitters --but only 6 per size, and now that ds is older, the larges got worn out and won't be replaced. I'm just gonna knit a couple more soakers and put in a fleece liner for nighttime. I figure this kid's hopefully (:shifty) going to be potty-trained in 6 months or so, so I'm not going through the hassle and expense of finding and reselling 6 more fb's that I'm only going to use for less than a year. I did get a pattern to sew some trainers (recycled from t-shirts) from fern and faerie for nighttime. I figure those'll get a lot more use at this point :shrug.

milkmommy
08-13-2007, 06:18 PM
um, I'm the woman that must have UNIFORMITY. Otherwise it drives me mad. So when bought my first stash it was all the same and when I sewed my first stash it was 49 diapers worth of same colored PUL, soaker fabric and snaps.

I'm now knee deep in sewing up another 30 diapers all in white PUL with matching but plain colored inners and matching snaps. I'm all about the function, I use FOE for the edging and elastic and a book binding type soaker attachment. Not the cutest diaper but they work for our kids and my husband can decipher them.

*shudder* the thought of tons of varied fluffy little diapers is enough to send me into a panic.

Haa ha ha I thought I was alone! My biggest thing is I don't want a lot of diffrent types we usally have 20 fitted 10 one size all same unbleached fabric and 10 sized fitted while some have patterns (just how they come) there all the same the one size can be bulky so we occasionally liked the option of the thinner but I needed them to store flat and neat and be easy to use. We did end up witha slight variety in covers because I bought some used some new to save but I still need the nice neat stack.

Deanna

Iarwain
08-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Ha ha, I was all about uniformity too for quite a while. I totally "get" that. I didn't like switching back and forth between different types so when my third was born I bought 6 doz AIOs and we used just those for a long time. Color variation I like, but having to reassemble a different system from one change to another used to drive me buggy, especially when I had more than one in dipes. Now I do have some appreciation for that still but my system is more varied. We mostly use fitteds of some kind. As long as they go on in the same manner I can deal with it. I don't like having to keep track of extra pieces from one change to the next. That's what gets me. All the little parts - pins, covers, etc... So she's in fitteds with a pull-on wool cover for when we go out (or not, I've been getting brave and going out without covers lately and some of our fitteds have a fleece outer layer so are sorta one-wet AIOs). We have prefolds and wraps as a back up but don't need to use them much.

GodChick
08-20-2007, 10:43 AM
:nak

I'm with you, too. :yes (Remember my post a while back about how i love workhorse dipes?) I love my IPF's, MEOS, and a few FB's. I do sometimes just dress in a shirt and dipe, but that's because it's hot. ;)

I can't see it. either-- all the excessesive spending on all different types and styles of diaper. 1) I can't be bothered with monitoring diaper sites waiting to snatch up that uber-cute diaper before the next hyena gets it and 2) like Marielle, it drives me nutso to have one of this, one of that. i like a system. i like to keep it simple.

and i like the ease of cleaning my workhorse dipes. no special fabrics to deal with -- no wacky laundering instructions -- no "these take 30 min to dry, these take 60 min to dry, these take 2 days to dry." even fb's kinda bother me, because of that fleece and how it has a tendency to hold on to smell more than cotton. i like the look of my ipf's blowing on the closeline -- simple, and clean and with a connection to generations of mothers before me. :)

illinoismommy
08-20-2007, 03:24 PM
absolutely i cloth diaper for cost first, and I chose according to ease as well :)

I didn't do it for the cuteness