PDA

View Full Version : microfiber inserts

illinoismommy
08-08-2007, 06:39 AM
how long do microfiber inserts work before breaking down?

2sunshines
08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
I've heard a year.

But I have no experience. All of my microfiber inserts looks as good as new, though I don't have any that are too old.

illinoismommy
08-08-2007, 10:40 AM
only one year? :jawdrop

how would you know they aren't good any more?

how long do hemp inserts last? or other types of inserts for pocket diapers?

2sunshines
08-08-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm not sure. Someone told me that... I thought the same thing, but then again, I've never actually had mine go bad, so I have no clue. :shrug

Maybe someone who has had microfiber for longer can shed some light on this. Though I wonder how long microfiber inserts have been out. :think I don't remember hearing about them back when I cd'd my first, though I very well might have missed it...

AFAK, other inserts essentially last forever (or at least as long as they stay in one piece). I have some hemp inserts that I bought 6 years ago that are still in excellent shape.

RosalieMarie
08-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I don't think you can really judge by how long you have them. :shrug Some people's might last 1 year, some 5 years. I think it depends more on how often they are washed. Some wash every day, some every 3 or 4. The more often you wash, the quicker they'll break down.

illinoismommy
08-08-2007, 06:13 PM
So how can I tell if they've broken down? :think

Mother of Sons
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I think they are just like any other fabric. I can't imagine that they would be worthless after a year any more than a prefold would.

Grover
08-14-2007, 07:03 AM
soaking and washing take their toll on all fabrics so their length of life would depend on how often they had been soaked and washed.Personally im not a fan of soaking for that reason.Ihave heard ME state their nappies should last the use of one child ,I think a brand of prefolds here reckoed their prefolds lasted 6 months.Ihave no idea if the polyester in microfibre[im assuming it has a high poly content] would make it last longer or shorter than cotton.Hemp is supposed to more hardwearing :shrug.
If there is no obvious signs of wear then you could judge by seeing how much it absorbed?Do you have a problem with some inserts?

BeckaBlue
08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
i used my microfiber inserts for over a yr, and i got them used :shrug they were still working fine and plan to be using them for this babe too (I dry pail)

illinoismommy
08-19-2007, 08:07 PM
If there is no obvious signs of wear then you could judge by seeing how much it absorbed?Do you have a problem with some inserts?

no I was just wanting to buy more petit toddler fuzzi bunz and was wondering if I will need more inserts..... I still can't decide :O

2sunshines
08-19-2007, 08:26 PM
don't they usually come with free inserts anyway?

illinoismommy
08-19-2007, 08:38 PM
don't they usually come with free inserts anyway?

not if you buy them off of diaperswappers or something that's not an actual "store" ....

2sunshines
08-20-2007, 07:56 AM
Ah, yep. makes sense. :yes

Amber
08-20-2007, 07:59 PM
I've been using mine for almost 2 yrs now and they still work fine :shrug Some of the stitching on the edges is coming loose, but they still work fine.

TestifyToLove
08-21-2007, 08:14 AM
I have some of the original microfiber inserts that were prototypes a good 7 years ago. They aren't as soft as the new stuff, but they work FINE.

MamaCare
08-21-2007, 08:25 AM
I have some that imo are worn out. I got them used, don't know how old they are, or what kind of washing they had previously. They are thin in places, and they just don't absorb well. (Of course, that could be cause my guy is a super-wetter!) I've sacrificed the trimness of the mf for the absorbency of the cottonbabies inserts. They're working much better for us!