PDA

View Full Version : Help me with wool!!

RosalieMarie
08-07-2007, 08:59 AM
So I'm ready to take the wool plunge. We're running out of night time options, and I should have tried wool long ago, but I've been scared. :nails

So I'm trying to find a wool soaker that is really soft, but I don't know the differences in the types of wool. I've seen some mass produced soakers for good prices, but I've heard iffy reviews. Hand-knit WAHM soakers are about double the price... I just don't want to spend money on something I'll hate!! I don't want anything remotely scratchy. Lily would hate that!!

Has anyone hear had any experience with Llamajama products? I think I've heard they are kind of scratchy. I'm eyeballing this soaker http://hyenacart.com/prod_details.php?id=21686&vid=9 but I don't want to spend that much money if it's not soft wool. Argh!!! Someone please point me in the right direction!!

shercurrie
08-07-2007, 09:40 AM
:popcorn

2sunshines
08-07-2007, 09:44 AM
I started my wool journey with recycled wool. It is MUCH cheaper than knitted or recycled and will give you a great chance to try out wool to see if it's something that you are interested in.

If you're looking for nighttime wool, you want to be sure to get a nice thick wool. A lot of daytime wool will not work as well for nighttime. I have two covers that I use at night. One is a recycled wool soaker, pretty felted and thick, and another is a crocheted wool soaker that I bought used that isn't the most beautiful, but it is thick and bulletproof.

To start, I recommend browsing FSOT boards to see if you can pick up something soft and thick to try out before spending too much money.

Moon
08-07-2007, 10:09 AM
I've no experience with LlamaJama. For mass produced I'd go with Disana, personally. You can get them at www.tinybirdsorganics.com They also sell the Little Beetle organic pull up soaker, I've heard nothing but good about those.

Our very first woolies were sewn by me with recycled sweaters. They served their purpose well. Now I knit or crochet our own.

I can help you with some of the popular wahm yarns used, I've personally knit with several of them.

lmgeenw
08-08-2007, 09:42 PM
:popcorn

JennyLynn
08-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I have an aristocrat soaker that DS wears at night and it works well for us and he is a heavy wetter. :) Stacinator and sugar peas wool works for us for naptime, but we need something thicker at night.

RosalieMarie
08-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for your help, everyone!! I was overwhelmed at first, but got a few really great reviews for Aristocrats. So, I have 2 of those on the way! Hopefully this will solve our night time issues!!

2sunshines
08-09-2007, 11:13 AM
let us know how they work for you. :yes

lmgeenw
08-09-2007, 03:54 PM
:nak2 i used Aristocrat for my son at night and loved it. I am not using covers at night yet, but I have a stacinator that i use during the day now and I like it. I also have a couple hand knitted covers that I got used that are great and super soft.

musicmama
08-10-2007, 05:40 AM
We have an aristocrat and it rooooooooooooocks for nighttime. I'm gonna have to get the next size up, soon!`