PDA

View Full Version : ooh, need to celebrate making my first big purchase :)

schmamy
08-03-2007, 10:09 AM
I already bought some BSWWs and some small FBs used on DiaperSwappers, but had been procrastinating on making the big purchase of prefolds, wetbags, etc. There are just TOO MANY CHOICES!!!! It leaves an indecisive girl like me with her head spinning--bleached or unbleached? 4x6x4 or 4x8x4? Chinese or Indian? And then what store to buy them from for the best deal?

So just now I FINALLY clicked "place order." :phew I mean, I have some time--I plan on using disposables for the first couple of weeks, as I got a couple of big packages at baby showers--but it feels better to have that out of the way now. Should be enough to get me started and then I can try out other kinds of dipes once I get into a groove (or maybe I will just love and stick with simply prefolds...DH would love that cost wise :) )

I'm sure no one really cares about all this...just had to celebrate crossing one more thing off the to-do list :P~

BeckaBlue
08-03-2007, 10:45 AM
enjoy!!! I know i need to order some pf's and covers in the next few months, i did a lot of my diaper shopping early on so i have a good variety, but im worried i won't be able to move up to meds before the baby outgrows the others....that's where the pf's are comin in :tu i know ill be exited when i get them! im hoping maybe sometime ill be able to get in a o-op for em on ds

Aisling
08-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Ohhh, but it's *fun* isn't it? :sillygrin :jump2 :rockon

klpmommy
08-03-2007, 04:40 PM
:woohoo :jump2

I am planning on making my orders this month. :mrgreen

I have never been this excited about diapers before! It's silly, kind of, but cloth is so much more fun that "pampers or huggies".

BearyBlessed
08-03-2007, 06:58 PM
I totally understand! :yes I spent *forever* trying to decide what to get and then what stores to order from. I wanted the best deals possible.

Calliope
08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
What? You're going to tell this story and not say what and where you bought??!! NO FAIR. :P~

Soliloquy
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm :jump2 for you! That is very exciting! Have you ordered Charlie's Soap yet? :poke

I have never been this excited about diapers before! It's silly, kind of, but cloth is so much more fun that "pampers or huggies".
It's so true! CDing is so much fun. Like babywearing. I get so many compliments on my Maya Wrap and my bumGenius dipes.

What? You're going to tell this story and not say what and where you bought??!! NO FAIR. :P~
Yes, spill!!

schmamy
08-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Yes, spill!!

:giggle Sorry, I didn't think about it! I bought them from weebunzdiapers.com. I can't remember how I found that site...I will let you know how the customer service is...but it was definitely the best deal for what I was buying. I am incredibly anal-retentive, so I made an Excel spreadsheet to get myself organized and was comparing prices on prefolds, Snappis and large pail-liner-sized wetbags at about a dozen different stores. :O (Can you see why I had been procrastinating??)

Weebunz has cheap shipping and they had everything I needed, so they ended up being the cheapest. Plus they had Chinese and Indian PFs both so I can try each. I kind of wanted to try a dozen 4x6x4 and a dozen 4x8x4, but they only had the 4x8x4. Oh well.

The other kind of neat thing is that they have this "package it" program--I have not wanted to get packages from any site because they are WAY too big/expensive...but with WeeBunz, you can go back within three months and complete a package for the difference in cost. So for example, if you bought 2 dozen prefolds and there's a package that includes 3 doz PFs and 6 BSWWs and a Bummis tote...you could go back later and buy another dozen PFs and the covers and the tote for the difference in cost between what you paid originally and the total package price, if that makes sense. It probably won't end up benefitting me because I don't like the Bummis tote colors (I got Swaddlebees totes) and I bought my BSWWs used...but I thought it sounded like a good deal, anyway.

Have you ordered Charlie's Soap yet? :poke

(that "poke" emoticon cracks me up :lol ) No...I was just thinking of using plain old Tide or Tide Free...will that be OK? I've heard about a hundred different versions of laundry advice from personal friends and on websites...it makes my head spin (I REALLY want a "head spinning" emoticon, I find myself needing one practically every day!).

I also got my used FBs yesterday in the mail so it was an exciting CD day :)

2sunshines
08-05-2007, 05:25 PM
:laughtears Oh man, there ARE more people like me. I am so much like that -- taking FOREVER to make purchases, searching around to any and all diaper stores that I can find to get the best deal. Even keeping a spreadsheet. :O

Congrats on the big buy. :tu

Soliloquy
08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
I was just thinking of using plain old Tide or Tide Free...will that be OK?

Tide Free is OK, but regular Tide is not--it has fragrance and shouldn't be used on a newborn (or anyone else, IMO :shifty). They both have optical brighteners & enzymes so if you use pockets they won't last as long. Charlie's has no brighteners, no fragrance, no enzymes, and it rinses completely awayy--it also works really well and is cheap. I am SO glad I found it. But, if you want to buy yoru detergent at the store, your best bet is the cheapest free & clear you can find, like a generic. The cheaper it is, the less chemical they put in it. Some babies react to the enzymes and get a shiny, red bum (the enzymes start to work on the baby's skin :(.)

2sunshines
08-05-2007, 07:28 PM
I agree with Lisa. :yes We have a great sticky on the top of this forum that lists most the detergents and what they have in them. They also rate them by how good they are for cd's. Like Lisa said, usually the best soaps for cd's are the cheapest. :tu

schmamy
08-06-2007, 06:15 AM
I was just thinking of using plain old Tide or Tide Free...will that be OK?

Tide Free is OK, but regular Tide is not--it has fragrance and shouldn't be used on a newborn (or anyone else, IMO :shifty). They both have optical brighteners & enzymes so if you use pockets they won't last as long. Charlie's has no brighteners, no fragrance, no enzymes, and it rinses completely awayy--it also works really well and is cheap. I am SO glad I found it. But, if you want to buy yoru detergent at the store, your best bet is the cheapest free & clear you can find, like a generic. The cheaper it is, the less chemical they put in it. Some babies react to the enzymes and get a shiny, red bum (the enzymes start to work on the baby's skin :(.)

My mom/I have been using Tide on my clothes my entire life w/ no problems...and I even tend to have sensitive skin at times... :shrug

I checked out the sticky in this forum...what about the note on that chart website from the manufacturer of Charlie's Soap, about how they recommend using bleach (which I know is a no-no for dipes)?

2sunshines
08-06-2007, 06:43 AM
My mom/I have been using Tide on my clothes my entire life w/ no problems...and I even tend to have sensitive skin at times...

I use Tide on my and my baby's clothes. I've never had an issue with my children (or babies) reacting to detergents. I've never had to wash my baby's clothes separately, though I do know that some people have to.

That said, I would never use Tide or Tide Free on my diapers. :shrug

I checked out the sticky in this forum...what about the note on that chart website from the manufacturer of Charlie's Soap, about how they recommend using bleach (which I know is a no-no for dipes)?

I didn't see that particular note. :think I'll have to go and look. I know that I personally wouldn't use bleach on my dipes (one exception to that rule is a tiny amount of bleach in the first wash of any used diapers -- just to be safe) but I do know some people who do. Personally I use cloth to avoid the chemicals, there's no way that I'm going to willingly put chemicals on my baby's diapers, kwim? Or risk what bleach could do to my diapers (I am very obsessive about caring for my diapers as perfectly as possible :giggle )

BearyBlessed
08-06-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the omly obssessive one! I didn't keep a spreadsheet, though I might have to next time. I had it all on paper.

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they are a good one to use. That's what I've been using and it's working well for us. And it's not terribly expensive.