PDA

View Full Version : Night waking due to developmental milestone

CapeTownMommy
08-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Every time that I've asked questions about LO waking at night, someone's asked "did she reach a new developmental milestone", and the answer was no. Well this time she has - she started crawling this weekend, and now it seems she can't stop! She sleeps in her cot, has from day one, and the last month or so has gone REALLY well sleep-wise. She's usually slept through until close to 6am. But the last 3 nights, she wakes every 2 hours or so and by the time we get to her (say 20 seconds after we hear her wake up), she's already on all fours in the crib. She'll be very tired, and crying, but wanting to crawl. KWIM?

Anyway, any ideas? How long will it take before this passes? My poor husband is working double shifts almost every day, starting at 9am and ending at 11pm and then he comes home to a baby who won't sleep!

Close2MyHeart
08-01-2007, 04:21 AM
It won't last forever... that's always what I remind myself. It could seem very frustrating right now, but it won't last long. :hug

Carrie in PA
08-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I don't think there's really much you can do, but take courage and know it will pass! :shrug My almost 2-yo daughter (who still sleeps with us...King Size Bed :yes ) sleeps pretty well, but will still have bouts of waking up several times a night when she's teething. She's a slow teether and is still working on her eye teeth...the last ones to come through! It can be exhausting and frustrating, but it is just a phase and will pass. :hug2 My husband will take Tylenol PM on nights when he REALLY needs to sleep and dd is in a "phase"! :giggle

milkmommy
08-01-2007, 10:10 AM
It will pass but it might be a while. Little ones often pull them selfs to kneeling or standing positions but then dont know how to get back down... its developmently appropiate. If you can nap/sleep when little one does do so all sleep helps. :)

Deanna

CapeTownMommy
08-02-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks everyone! I am ecstatic to report that last night we had our best night since she was born - she went to sleep at 7:15 and slept until 6:45 without a peep. I did two things: Skipped her afternoon nap (so she was awake from 1pm to bedtime and REALLY tired by that time), and gave her some panado before bed. I speculated that maybe she was waking partly due to sore muscles from all the crawling, after all she's using them for the first time. Don't know what made the difference (perhaps it was all those desperate prayers for sleep) but I can't remember the last time I felt as good as I do today - I had 9 and a half hours of unbroken sleep!!

Carrie in PA
08-02-2007, 07:03 AM
:clap Hurray! It feels good, doesn't it?!!! BTW, what is panado?

CapeTownMommy
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Oh, sorry, it's a paracetamol based infant pain medication. I'm so used to everything we get here being imported from the States that it always surprises me when one of our brands is unknown over there.