PDA

View Full Version : Nikky-type fabric? (and sewing your own covers)

Mama Bird
07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure if this should go here or in the sewing forum, but I'd like to try sewing my own diaper covers for Josiah. I don't really like PUL, and I'm allergic to wool. Is microfleece too hot for summers? Is it really waterproof?

We used Nikky 100% cotton wraps on our son, where it's just really tightly-knit t-shirt fabric. I had no problems with leaks as long as I kept him in the correct size. They were super breathable, and could be washed and dried. Does anyone have any ideas as to where I can get this kind of fabric? Also, what do you use to edge your diaper covers? Nikky covers are edged with a stretchy cotton as well, but I'm not really opposed to sandwiching some elastic between two layers and turning them.

singbanshee
07-26-2007, 11:45 AM
well microfleece (which is 100 weight) is generally used on the inside of diapers because it's so thin and it wicks moisture to the soaker so I don't think that's what you're after. The other is 200 weight or 300 weight and yes it's breathable but kinda bulky and will pressure wick, but it's not too hot for summer. I use it when he's playing and not going to be sitting alot (which is most of the time LOL)

I'm not sure where you'd get the nikky material...i know they are made in japan if that helps...

Mama Bird
07-26-2007, 01:10 PM
Urgh...I did some research and found out that Nikky covers are cotton, treated with some sort of waterproofing goo. :doh