PDA

View Full Version : What I had planned versus what she wants

malakoa
07-21-2007, 11:34 AM
I have planned three short lessons a day - plus bible and art.

This is not enough for her. She begs me for school the whole rest of the day. And before we start. I was thinking we'd start later, say 10 or 11 so there is more time to play independently but I want her to learn while she's fresh.

Any ideas?

Teribear
07-21-2007, 12:43 PM
As much as you can without it consuming YOUR day...follow her lead...she's at an age that she's an absolute sponge for learning and if she's that eager for it I say go for it. I'm all about following the child's lead. At every age but particularly in preschool. Of course that also means being open to NO lessons for days on end when she's NOT that eager. It all does balance out eventually.

ShangriLewis
07-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Does she have art time alone? Load her up with supplies, glue sticks, stickers etc and let her have some time to create everyday. She can learn to put it in envelopes and send it off to Grammy/Grandpa or whomever she loves.

mom2boys
07-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I have really enjoyed using the "Little Hands to Heaven" book. It has lots of activities that are in small chunks so we can do a little here, a little there. That way I can just look for more the times he wants to do more, and skip it the days he doesn't want more. kwim? It's from www.heartofdakota.com (http://www.heartofdakota.com) This year we'll be doing the next one called "Little Hearts for His Glory"

illinoismommy
07-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I have planned three short lessons a day - plus bible and art.

This is not enough for her. She begs me for school the whole rest of the day. And before we start. I was thinking we'd start later, say 10 or 11 so there is more time to play independently but I want her to learn while she's fresh.

Any ideas?

Hmmm :think Since she is not quite 3, maybe what she is saying when she asks for school is "give me attention or something to do" ..... I'd sign her up for some kind of lesson I think she would like, like gymnastics or something, and I'd make more playdates for her to give her opportunities to play with other kids .... and I would encourage her habits and help her learn how to entertain/educate herself ....

ArmsOfLove
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
I think I would build things into our *school* day like building with blocks or playing with trains or dolls. These are typical preschool activities because of the social and engineering and pre-learning stuff that is going on. Then, there are always children like I was who ask for "a bedtime story" and would waddle in with 100 books :grin

Marsha
07-23-2007, 06:00 AM
It's new and fun and she's getting your attention in a new way. I'd expect it to drop off in a few weeks. :)

illinoismommy
07-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Oh also I recently borrowed How To Raise An Amazing Child The Montessori Way from the library and it has a lot of sensory game ideas if you want :)

malakoa
07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh also I recently borrowed How To Raise An Amazing Child The Montessori Way from the library and it has a lot of sensory game ideas if you want :)

I just got that book too!

illinoismommy
07-23-2007, 10:32 AM

I just got that book too!

I really enjoyed it :heart