PDA

View Full Version : This is what I registered for - is this enough to start?

Calliope
07-20-2007, 12:39 PM
Okay, here's what I registered for at nickisdiapers.com

Must haves

3 dozen NB prefolds 2x5x2 (Nicki's is out of CPFs so these are "Babies Textile". When the CPFs come in, I may switch back)

3 dozen Standard prefolds 2x5x2 (Okay, I don't how the measurements can be the same and fit a bigger size but :shrug)

6 Prorap classic diaper covers - newborn

3 Bummis SWW - small

3 Thirsties covers - small

To try out (will by more of my own later)

3 Kissaluvs fitted - size 0

1 BG 2.0

1 Fuzzi Bunz - small

1 Happy Heinys - xsmall (would rather have a small, but Nicki's is out of those in gender neutral colors too)

1 Dream-eze fitted - small

6 Cotton Babies one size inserts (is that too many?)

Extras

1 bottle of Baby Moon wipe concentrate

2 (15 packs) of flannel wipes

1 (3 pack) Snappi Fasteners

1 roll (200 sheets) Imse Vimse Flushable Diaper Liners

2 Whamies wet bags - 1 mini, 1 regular

1 Whamies diaper pail liner (registered for pail elsewhere)

Well, would this get me through for some time? Comments? I do notice that I am missing an AIO? Any suggestions?

schmamy
07-20-2007, 12:56 PM
3 dozen NB prefolds 2x5x2 (Nicki's is out of CPFs so these are "Babies Textile". When the CPFs come in, I may switch back)

3 dozen Standard prefolds 2x5x2 (Okay, I don't how the measurements can be the same and fit a bigger size but :shrug)

I am sure a resident expert will be able to answer this better than me...but I'm pretty sure from what I've seen, the 2x5x2 refers to layers (2 on each side and 5 down the middle)--so while the NB and standard have the same number of layers, the standard is probably longer and wider. here's a chart for an example of different measurements: http://weebunzdiapers.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?pg=32

Is 2x5x2 thick enough? I've never seen that--most of the ones I've seen are 4x6x4 or 4x8x4. ?? I'm all about less bulky but NOT all about leaky diapers... :shrug

Calliope
07-20-2007, 01:04 PM
I am sure a resident expert will be able to answer this better than me...but I'm pretty sure from what I've seen, the 2x5x2 refers to layers (2 on each side and 5 down the middle)--so while the NB and standard have the same number of layers, the standard is probably longer and wider. here's a chart for an example of different measurements: http://weebunzdiapers.com/cgi-bin/product.cgi?pg=32

Is 2x5x2 thick enough? I've never seen that--most of the ones I've seen are 4x6x4 or 4x8x4. ?? I'm all about less bulky but NOT all about leaky diapers... :shrug

Ah, see, I didn't know that. I'm glad I asked. And, yeah, it would be good to know about the 2x5x2s. Seems like they might be too thin for a post-newborn dipe.

RosalieMarie
07-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Ah, see, I didn't know that. I'm glad I asked. And, yeah, it would be good to know about the 2x5x2s. Seems like they might be too thin for a post-newborn dipe.

2x5x2 will be fine for newborn, but you definitely want thicker ones for post-newborn stage. :yes Infant prefolds are usually 4x6x4, and premiums are 4x8x4. Thicker is good for snappi'ing, you can go with a bit thinner if you trifold.

As far as amounts of diaper you need to start with, I'm no help. I'm still trying to figure that out as this is my first time using cloth on a newborn. :)

TestifyToLove
07-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Your list is actually more than I use for a newborn. It should do you FINE. But, you won't need the regular prefolds until baby is bigger, and might want to hold out for thicker pfs for older babies. Believe me, that thickness goes a LONG way as they get bigger.

Katigre
07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm responding with the assumption that you want 36 diapers and plan to do laundry every 2-3 days (and that for an older infant, 24 diapers is enough). Also that you will have a fullterm baby and not a preemie.

I think this is too many NB prefolds. I have little babies - my DS was just under 7 lbs when we started cd'ing him at a few days old, and the 2.5.2's fit him great for 3-4 weeks. BUT - they were not absorbent enough at all. These are technically called 'preemie prefolds' and for good reason - they are designed for very young, small babies and they are NOT very absorbent. By the second week of using them, I had to double two together to have decent absorbency. By the time DS was 9 lbs at a month old, we switched to Infant prefolds instead.

It is good to have some preemie prefolds for the early days, but I would limit yourself to asking for a dozen and a half and ask for fitteds like Kissaluvs for the remaining dozen or so. When you are bleary-eyed in the middle of the night, the last thing you want to do is have to fuss with a tiny preemie prefold and snappi plus cover with a screaming newborn, you want something fast like a fitted or pocket or AIO.

Skip the standard size. They will be GIGANTICALLY LONG on your baby - they are as long as your baby will be when he/she is born :jawdrop. They are the same size as premium prefolds which won't fit your baby until he or she is at least 6 months old and possibly older (we didn't switch my DS to prefolds until he was almost a year old, he fit into infants just fine before that).

Also, I think that 3 dozen is excessive unless you plan to change every hour. 2 dozen prefolds should be fine, they should last you 2-3 days and for me personally i'm not ok with letting diapers sit longer than 2.5 days without washing.

Instead of the Standard size, register for 1 dozen 4.6.4's and 1 dozen 4.8.4's. that gives you a variety of absobencies depending on what type of baby you have (super soaker or not), plus the 4.6.4's fit easier on a newborn since they're a bit thinner.

6 Prorap classic diaper covers - newborn

Get a variety of newborn covers - 2 of each brand. I personally HATED Proraps covers and loved my thirsties and bummis more, and i have friends for whom it was the reverse. I would probably get 8 newborn covers if possible, but you will be fine with 6 (you just might find yourself doing laundry b/c you're about to run out of covers instead of run out of diapers).

3 Bummis SWW - small

3 Thirsties covers - small

Those are both quality covers. They tend to run big so i would assume that your baby will stay in smalls as long as they stay in infant prefolds. My DS did not outgrow his small BSWW until he was a year old - right when he outgrew the infant prefolds. We certainly got our money's worth from them!

To try out (will by more of my own later)

3 Kissaluvs fitted - size 0

I would register for 6 Kissaluve. They aren't the most absorbent diapers out there, but you can put a preemie prefold inside as a doubler and it is nice having a fitted for fast diaper changes, especially at night (can you tell i loathed middle-of-the-night diaper changes with a newborn :yes)

1 BG 2.0

Sounds good. You might consider registering for a BG fitted or AIO as well.

1 Fuzzi Bunz - small

Good.

1 Happy Heinys - xsmall (would rather have a small, but Nicki's is out of those in gender neutral colors too)

I would skip this one.

1 Dream-eze fitted - small

That's fine. Why Dream-eze over the other fitteds? I am personally not a huge fan of fitteds vs. prefolds - fitteds just were more expensive and bulky IMO and for convenience a pocket or AIO worked better (excluding the newborn period where fitteds + covers helped prevent blowouts like a pocket diaper couldn't as well).

6 Cotton Babies one size inserts (is that too many?)[/i

You only need as many inserts as pocket diapers you have - with the size smalls you won't be able to double up on inserts since the Cottonbabies ones will be folded over anyway. I would register for just 3 inserts at most b/c the pockets from Nickies come with a free insert anyway.

Extras

1 bottle of Baby Moon wipe concentrate

You can make your own wipes solution, skip registering for this. Plus, many babies are sensitive to wipes solutions and prefer just water instead (we only use water on DS and it works great even after over a year!)

2 (15 packs) of flannel wipes

You'll want at least as many wipes as diapers - i would say 40 would be a good number.

1 (3 pack) Snappi Fasteners

Good.

1 roll (200 sheets) Imse Vimse Flushable Diaper Liners

Unecessary until the baby is eating solids - so that's at least 6 months if not more away. If you do decide to go with liners, Imse Vimse is my favorite. But you don't need it with bf poop since it's all liquid and would soak straight through the liner anyway.

2 Whamies wet bags - 1 mini, 1 regular

Do these zipper shut? If one of these is going to be in your diaper bag for cd'ing out of the house, you'll want it to have a zipper closure (IMO) to prevent any odor or mess from leaking out.

1 Whamies diaper pail liner [i](registered for pail elsewhere)

You will need two pail liners unless you use the WHamies wetbags as stand-ins while it is in the wash (diaper wash takes 3-4 hours in my house, so that's at least 2 diapers you'll have to take care of with a newborn).

Well, would this get me through for some time? Comments? I do notice that I am missing an AIO? Any suggestions?

I would go with BG AIO or Drybees AIO. I had an Imse Vimse cover that I liked pretty well, but I can't speak to their AIO quality.

Also, I noticed you didn't really register for anything for at night. Once your baby is a couple months old you'll have to figure that out - so you might consider registering for a couple doublers like the cottonbabies staydry doublers or the ones by fuzzibunz (NOT just microfiber as that will irritate the baby's skin - you want something topped with fleece to wick away moisture).

HTH!

Iarwain
07-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Your list looks pretty extensive. You may not need some of it as others have mentioned. But I second the pp - you'll want two pail liners.

illinoismommy
07-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Girl I have 12 Fuzzi Bunz in 3 sizes and we're doing just fine. :shifty

(oh plus my newborn prefolds and covers)

illinoismommy
07-20-2007, 09:02 PM
I just looked it up and my newborn prefolds are 4 x 8 x 4 and I certainly wouldn't go thinner than that, she could soak/saturate them with one short pee.

Calliope
07-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Girl I have 12 Fuzzi Bunz in 3 sizes and we're doing just fine. :shifty

(oh plus my newborn prefolds and covers)

12 in each size or 12 total?

Calliope
07-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Okay, so if I had 18 newborn prefolds, would I want 6 or 12 additional size 0 kissaluvs?