PDA

View Full Version : Help! I gotta talk it out.

BearyBlessed
07-18-2007, 10:25 AM
Ok, ladies, I am the type that needs to talk through these types of decisions. But, I don't have anyone IRL to talk to. So, I need your help. I need to decide what to do for the next size of dipes for Punkin. And there's a couple co-ops right now with good deals, so I need to decide quickly.

To start, the "backstory".
Punkin is 10 weeks. His waist is 15" and thighs are about 9", I think. How do I measure rise?
He is on formula, so I don't have to worry about those bf poo blowouts I hear so much about.
He hates wet diapers, so I'm planning to use disposables for outings unless I can find a good cloth one that will work for us. I would prefer the cloth, though, if at all possible.
Hubby is squicked out by used dipes, so I have license to buy all new stuff. :shifty But, I still want to get the best deals I can. I had planned to save *some* money by using cloth. And especially since we ended up needing to use formula, I want to be economical with dipes.

Now, the issues to decide.
My biggest question, I guess, is should I expect any major changes in diapering in the next few months? Will he start having bigger pees? I am currently changing *every* pee because he cries if I don't. How much will solids affect his poo? That kind of stuff.
I am using mostly prefolds right now and have no problems with them. I do have a couple fitteds as well. But, they don't seem to work any better, so I'm not sure I want to spend the money on them. Is there a good reason that I might need them in the future? Wiggly boy, holding in poo, etc.
I have a couple AIO's also. I don't like pockets. I do like my AIO's. I must have gotten lucky because they dry in the same amount of time that my prefolds do. I had planned on using them for outings, but they are more bulky in my diaper bag and he goes through so many. Is there a good choice that will wick away moisture and not be too bulky in the bag? I'd love to not have to buy sposies.
Are there good covers that are still fun? I would love some cute prints or different colors. That's one thing I do like about the AIO's.
I thought I wanted to do wool soakers. But, they started leaking. Am I using them wrong? I lanolized them per instructions. Am I supposed to switch the soaker at every change so that it doesn't leak? It seems to only last one or two dipes. Is that normal? What are your favorite soakers? If I do only prefolds, then I don't mind spending some money for good soakers.

Ok, I think I've gotten the basics down. I'm sure I will add and discuss as I get replies.
Thank you if you got through all this!

2sunshines
07-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Ok, I'll try to answer some of your questions.

For the wetness factor, I'd use a fleece liner. Fleece is hydrophobic, so it wicks moisture away from baby's skin. I use a fleece liner in prefolds and dd soaks her prefolds at night but her liner and skin is totally dry.

As for the outings, do you use doublers in your prefolds? I do and I find that I can get a good couple of hours out of them. I don't use sposies at all and that seems to work for us.

If prefolds are working well for you, I think I'd stick with them. There's no need to do anything different, it's just a matter of personal preference. And there are tons of really cute covers that you can get. Thirsties make colourful covers that get really good reviews. There's the bummis super whisper wrap, which comes in designs. Wigglewormbottoms makes really cute ones. And there are tons more, I just can't think of them from the top of my head right now. Prefolds do get a little bit more challenging to put on a baby when they get older and are super wiggly, but it's definitely manageable. I just give dd a toy when I'm folding a prefold and that keeps her pretty still.

What kind of wool soakers are you using? If they get damp, it's best to set them aside to let them dry until the next changing. Or if you are changing enough so that the wool doesn't get damp, you can just reuse it.

:phew I think that's some of the questions... What did I miss?

Lantern Light Mama
07-18-2007, 12:30 PM
If you have the money and if you are able id suggest buying a few all on ones for outings. They make cloth diapering on the run so much easier. Prefolds are so nice because the softness though so ITU why so many people love prefolds. I love cloth diapering (except for the stinkies when I get lazy and dont wash them daily):) And I have no idea about measuing the rise. I kinda just wing it and buy whatever sometimes.

2sunshines
07-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Oh, I missed your rise measuring question.

The rise is the measurement from the baby's belly button, down through their legs, and up to where the diaper would end in the back. If you are measuring for a diaper, you'll measure the baby naked, if you are measuring for a cover, you'll measure over a diaper. Does that make sense?

BearyBlessed
07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
2sunshines, thank you so much for all your help! You are awesome! :hug

I will go measure his rise when I have a chance now that I know what I'm doing.

I'm trying to figure out how a fleece liner would work with prefolds. Do you pin or snappi? Or do you do the fold and lay inside the cover method. I usually yse the Angel Wing Fold and it seems weird to try and put a liner on top of that. I guess I would get used to it?
I'm considering trying the new Thirsties fitted. It has a microfleece top layer. Though, I think that's what the bumgenious AIO has and I'm not sure it's much better than the prefolds. :think It doesn't feel very wet to me, but still bugs him. Same with the sposies, though. :shrug
Oh, I haven't needed doublers in my prefolds yet. But, maybe I will try them when I get the liners.

I have an Aristocrats and a Stacinator for my wool. I think my problem is that I used them too many times in a row and they were already damp when I put them back on. I will try again and let them dry in between better.

2sunshines
07-19-2007, 10:21 AM
When I use liners with my prefolds I lay it in the diaper, but then bring it up against the baby's skin then fold or twist or do whatever I do with the prefold on top of that. So the liner doesn't actually fold with the prefold, but rather stays against baby's skin then prefold folds on top of it. Does that make any sense?