PDA

View Full Version : wetbag/pail *with a follow-up question

schmamy
07-17-2007, 11:44 AM
Our bathroom, until it gets remodeled, is pretty tiny. I was thinking :think ...is there any reason I couldn't just use a big wetbag--like hanging on a hook in the corner, maybe--instead of using a wetbag to line a pail that would take up more space? :shrug Is that a totally terrible idea?

ETA: I've been looking at wetbags...if I'm just going to hang it in the bathroom, do I need one that actually seals (with a zipper or something) to prevent smelling, rather than just a drawstring closure? Seems several of the ones I have seen only have drawstrings.

RosalieMarie
07-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Not at all, it's a great idea!! :yes I bought a large pail liner size wetbag that we took when we went away this past weekend. It worked great! I want another one a bit smaller for night time in our bedroom after the new babe comes.

I highly recommend Happy Tushies bags. You can get them custom at www.happytushies.com, or www.diaperware.com has them instock. :grin

2sunshines
07-17-2007, 12:11 PM
Not a terrible idea at all. In fact, that's what a lot of people do.

schmamy
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
oh good :) so how big a wetbag do I want/need for that, do you think?

2sunshines
07-17-2007, 01:56 PM
depends on how long you want to go between washing.

klpmommy
07-17-2007, 02:02 PM
so I don't *have* to buy a diaper pail/trash can? I like this idea better b/c of the logistics of our house (two stories plus a finished basement).

Is is harder to get the diaper in the bag w/ the smaller opening, esp if you are doing it one handed (you know, baby in one arm)?

waterfallraleigh
07-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Is is harder to get the diaper in the bag w/ the smaller opening, esp if you are doing it one handed (you know, baby in one arm)?

I started out with just the bag and personally I found it annoying to use, especially one handed and unstuffing diapers too. I like having a lined pail much better. :smile

schmamy
07-17-2007, 02:25 PM

I started out with just the bag and personally I found it annoying to use, especially one handed and unstuffing diapers too. I like having a lined pail much better. :smile

hmm, I hadn't thought of this. I know a lot of people use the pails with a foot lever so the lid pops right up...I can see how that would be easier/more convenient.

though I guess you're going to need a pail liner regardless, so it wouldn't hurt anything to start with just the bag and buy a pail if you decide you need/want one, right?

:shrug I keep hearing the 24-36 dipes as a "magic number"...we'll probably start with that.

abbiroads
07-17-2007, 02:58 PM
I use a stainless steel step can with a plastiuc pull out can that came with it. But, my diapers have often spent significant amounts of time just sitting on the changing area. I don't think I would like just having a bag.

schmamy
07-20-2007, 08:04 AM
*bump* for my follow-up question :)

expatmom
07-20-2007, 08:18 AM
I have a large Bummis wet bag that I hang up on the bag of the door. I wash every second day. I don't have smell issues. I pull the bag open when I am prepping for the diaper change, so I can slide the dirty diaper in one handed.

Niphredil
07-20-2007, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't like having just bag either - it seems smellier (cause of the drawstring thing) and the opening one handed/inconvenience thing. My sis used to do it & I found it quite the bit of effort. I'm all about minimal effort ;)

I have no wet bag at all. :shrug I have a rubbermaid lidded bin from WM. When full I pitch the dirties in wash then use the bin to transfer super hot water to the wash - the was fills up way too slowly when I don't & the scalding water kills my pail yuckies. I keep the bin in our room with her changing table - we wash every three days & it doesn't smell at all when closed.

RosalieMarie
07-20-2007, 12:05 PM
If you want to go with just a bag, personally I'd get one with a zipper. The happy tushies bag I have has a zipper, and I have no smell issues at all. There's a little mesh pouch on the inside for a deodorizer, but I've never needed it.

Again, I highly recommend happy tushies!!

schmamy
07-20-2007, 12:53 PM
If you want to go with just a bag, personally I'd get one with a zipper. The happy tushies bag I have has a zipper, and I have no smell issues at all. There's a little mesh pouch on the inside for a deodorizer, but I've never needed it.

Again, I highly recommend happy tushies!!

I did some browsing on their website and elsewhere...the problem is, I really would prefer something plain. I don't need a fancy custom print, just basic yellow or something to hang in my bathroom. All the plain ones are drawstring, not zipper, but all the Happy Tushies ones are crazy prints, not plain.

RosalieMarie
07-20-2007, 04:57 PM
I did some browsing on their website and elsewhere...the problem is, I really would prefer something plain. I don't need a fancy custom print, just basic yellow or something to hang in my bathroom. All the plain ones are drawstring, not zipper, but all the Happy Tushies ones are crazy prints, not plain.

Ahhhhh...I see. I can't think of any plain ones with zippers right off my head, but I'll keep an eye out for you! :)

illinoismommy
07-20-2007, 09:16 PM
I know a lot of people use the pails with a foot lever so the lid pops right up...I can see how that would be easier/more convenient.

though I guess you're going to need a pail liner regardless, so it wouldn't hurt anything to start with just the bag and buy a pail if you decide you need/want one, right?

:shrug I keep hearing the 24-36 dipes as a "magic number"...we'll probably start with that.

For a diaper pail I went to a local store and bought a white regular trash can with a lid. I do not line it, I throw the diapers straight in. Occasionally I bleach the trash can and then rinse the bleach out really good. Its cheap, its easy, its simple!

I had 18 newborn diapers and it was enough for me, I have 12 in the other sizes. I would start with less honestly, you can always add more, but you can't return them for the price that you paid if you end up not using them. Then again we work on a pretty strict budget.

schmamy
07-21-2007, 05:51 AM
I had 18 newborn diapers and it was enough for me, I have 12 in the other sizes. I would start with less honestly, you can always add more, but you can't return them for the price that you paid if you end up not using them. Then again we work on a pretty strict budget.

good point! I guess it would be better to start with fewer especially if we're going to try out (and maybe like better) other kinds than prefolds.

2sunshines
07-22-2007, 08:54 PM
A drawstring would definitely be adequate for a stationary wet bag. I prefer zippers for the wetbag that I carry in my diaper bag but for one that it just going to sit in your bathroom, it won't matter. Actually, I prefer breathability for my diaper pail. I find that it makes my diapers LESS stinky. I actually use a pail with a lid and I purposely leave the lid open.

schmamy
07-23-2007, 06:37 AM
A drawstring would definitely be adequate for a stationary wet bag. I prefer zippers for the wetbag that I carry in my diaper bag but for one that it just going to sit in your bathroom, it won't matter. Actually, I prefer breathability for my diaper pail. I find that it makes my diapers LESS stinky. I actually use a pail with a lid and I purposely leave the lid open.

Well that makes life a lot easier! I could hardly find any big bags with zippers. Maybe that's why. Thanks for the advice!