PDA

View Full Version : if you don't use flushable liners...esp those who swish and dunk...

Quiteria
07-16-2007, 04:38 AM
What do you do with the baby/toddler in the meanwhile? i'm serious...with high needs ds in 'sposies, i learned to throw it away and hold him over my shoulder with my clean hand while washing my other hand. Now, i know i'm supposed to at least shake the poop out of even a disposible, but I didn't. Now that I'm thinking of cd, I am trying to figure out the logistics of adding extra steps...

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 05:03 AM
I've never had a high needs baby, so what I've been able to do might not work for you, BUT you don't have to scrape or swish or whatever you want to do right away. I think that I'd just hold the poopy diaper over the toilet with one hand while you've got baby in the other, and shake off whatever will come off. If you want to go further with that, by either dunking or scraping or whatever, you can always set the diaper aside until baby's napping or playing or you have a few seconds to do it, kwim? It doesn't have to be done right away.

And like I"m sure you're aware, when the baby is ebf, you don't even have to do ANYTHING to their poop. Just throw the whole thing in the diaper pail.

Quiteria
07-16-2007, 09:50 AM
you can always set the diaper aside until baby's napping or playing or you have a few seconds to do it, kwim? It doesn't have to be done right away.

not going to fly with dh...that is one of his greatest fears about cd...the house full of dirties waiting to be taken care of...and I know me, i'm a messie who will let them sit too long...

klpmommy
07-16-2007, 10:10 AM
I haven't done cd's yet, but I have had a HN baby. You learn to do things one handed. I am pretty sure I can hold baby in one arm & shake poop off with the other hand. Or, honestly, put the baby down for the few seconds that you need to shake the diaper- I can't imagine it taking more than a moment (I did shake my disposables one the kids got older & I realized I was supposed to do it, but we were past the super HN stage by then).

Iarwain
07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
By the time my kiddos' poo was solid enough to need attention they were close to a year and mostly past the needy constantly held stage. I have swished with a child in arms, but usually set them down to play for the 15-30 seconds required. To do it one-handed I would- finish changing the diaper, put the child on my left hip and go into the bathroom, hook the diaper pail with my foot and pull it up to the toilet, swish with my right hand and drop the diaper into the pail (which had a foot pedal to open it), then replace the pail and wash hands. If I had both hands available I'd flush while hanging on to the diaper with the other hand to get it cleaner but if I only had one hand I skipped that part.

Quiteria
07-16-2007, 11:26 AM
I haven't done cd's yet, but I have had a HN baby. You learn to do things one handed. I am pretty sure I can hold baby in one arm & shake poop off with the other hand. Or, honestly, put the baby down for the few seconds that you need to shake the diaper- I can't imagine it taking more than a moment (I did shake my disposables one the kids got older & I realized I was supposed to do it, but we were past the super HN stage by then).

I guess the thing is that I will have a toddler running amok, and there really isn't room for so much as a baby swing/bouncer in the actual bathroom or hallway outside of it. (I hate this apt.) So, I'm envisioning having to hold this baby just to keep him safe...

for toddler, right now, I can leave him alone long enough to go wash my hands, but I really have to run to make sure that things are still going smoothly with big sis and not getting into things he shouldn't. He's been way too wiggly for a changing table, so usually I change him and leave him downstairs in the living room with the kitchen gated off. On a really antsy day, I wash my hands in the kitchen instead of going up to the bathroom because that's seriously enough time to have big sis start tattling or for him to go grab a toy from her or to find whatever I didn't think to babyproof...add to that a baby who is fun to poke and hand big heavy toys or small chokable toys...I guess I'm being paranoid.

klpmommy
07-16-2007, 11:30 AM
I don't remember how old your toddler is or when you are due, but remember that your toddler will be older when the new baby arrives so things will likely be a bit different. And for the few seconds you need both hands to take care of the diaper- maybe you can just lay baby down on a towel in the bathroom. It is only going to be a few seconds (I imagine ;) ). ITU needing to keep baby safe from the toddler & it doesn't take long for something to happen, but I think you can keep at least one child with you while you take care of diapers. Of course, I haven't done this yet- I am just trying to imagine.

Quiteria
07-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Ds is 19mo, and I think I have about 2mo. left. (I'm 30wks, but usually go early.)

I like the towel idea. :think I might even be able to do that in the bathtub to keep it from getting stepped on. (The bathroom is seriously narrow...between the tub and wall, there is a "hallway" shaped space the width of the bathroom door. That's it, one narrow rectangle with the toilet and sink at the end, so close together that ds bangs his head on the sink every time he comes looking for me while I pee.

Iarwain, that's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for, too. I didn't think about getting a foot pedal can. :doh If I can find a really tiny narrow trash can to go next to the toilet, i could put it in the corner where our regular round trash can resides.