PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good deal?

hopefromgrace
07-15-2007, 03:24 PM
We're planning on CD'ing our next little one and I just found this on craigs list, but have no idea if these are good diapers for a newborn or if it's a good deal. Would someone check out this link and tell me what you think?
Thanks so much :)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bab/373456548.html

mellymommy
07-15-2007, 04:49 PM
If I was you...I'd snatch those up pretty quickly!

2sunshines
07-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Honestly, I'd pass.

Kushies are pretty much the bottom of the line of cloth diapers. I've never tried them personally but I can't say that I've ever heard anything good about them.

I personally would take that $85 and spend it elsewhere. You could get a decent newborn stash for that price.

Just my opinion though.

Moon
07-15-2007, 04:57 PM
I'd pass, too. They may sound appealing, but they rarely get good raves. They are AIO, and they dry quickly, but they're not very absorbant, they don't hold in ebf poo, and it's really easy for clothing to slip in the legs and waist (which means wet clothing, even more laundry).

hopefromgrace
07-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the replies!
So, then, what would YOU reccomend?

2sunshines
07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
is this your first time cd'ing?

what is your motivation for cd'ing?

what kind of budget do you have?

Katigre
07-15-2007, 06:52 PM
ITA with the others - skip the Kushies for a newborn. I have some my aunt gave me that work decently with my toddler - but i definitely wouldn't use them for an EBF babe and definitely not a newborn that is pooping all the time. I was surprised they work as well for us as they do given all the bad reviews.

I also didnt' like Kushie's liners, they were too narrow and long. I much prefer Imse Vimse Liners. But again - you don't need those until your baby is eating enough solids to change their poop.

For a newborn, I think a two-layered system (either prefold + covers or fitteds (like Kissaluvs) plus covers) is the way to go - much more prevention of leaks that way IMO.

hopefromgrace
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Katigre! That's helpfull :) There's just so many choices out there, it's a bit confusing and overwhelming :phew
I really appreciate the advice from you experienced CD mamas!

is this your first time cd'ing?

what is your motivation for cd'ing?

what kind of budget do you have?

We've allways felt drawn to cloth diapers for many reasons.....mainly environmental and it just seems nicer,softer, more natural for baby (we're very much into natural living :) ) so it just totally makes sense for us (and long term cost is better!).
When my dd was born, we lived in a tiny cabin with no washer or dryer, so our own CD was out of the question (we also lived a ways out of town) but we did use the services of a cloth diaper service for a little while, but it was just too expensive after awhile.
Also, we did have a ton of poop explosions with them (not sure exactly what kind they were....just a cloth with velcro cover I think) and they just didn't seem to work great.
And as far as budget, I don't really have a set number in mind that I can't go over, but we also don't have a whole lot of money.
But I would rather pay for ones that are good/work/quality,etc...

Katigre
07-15-2007, 07:49 PM
With the prefold diapers (what you had with the diaper service) - did you have a snappi to make them fit well when folded? Or were they just laid in the cover?

Here is how a snappi works, it is so awesome! Way better than diaper pins. There are different folds you can do with prefolds to help prevent leaks. And with the velcro or snap covers (you can also use wool covers which is more brethable and eco-friendly but also more $$) you have to make sure the whole diaper is tucked inside the cover - if any hangs out you will get leaks.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Champagnepunch/21dde075.jpg

2sunshines
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I always recommend getting a few of each type of diaper system that you are interested in and trying them out before committing to one system. You might be surprised at what you really like.

I'd buy a few prefolds, a few covers, a few fitteds, a pocket or two, an aio. And start with that. Try them all out. See what you like and don't like.

What I thought I'd like when I started cd'ing, I don't. And my favourite system right now is the one that I never ever thought I'd be doing full time. :giggle

hopefromgrace
07-15-2007, 08:05 PM
With the prefold diapers (what you had with the diaper service) - did you have a snappi to make them fit well when folded? Or were they just laid in the cover?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Champagnepunch/21dde075.jpg

No, there was no snappi, just laid the cloth in there.....and we actually usually left a little of the cloth out of the cover, thinking that would help the leaks for some reason (seems like that was probably one of the causes, huh? :giggle)
The snappi idea is a great one, makes a lot of sense!

2sunshines, that's a good idea to try out a few different ones....but if you only have a few different dipes for trying out purposes, what do you do in the meantime until you figure what you like best and then waiting for them to arive, etc....(may seem like a silly question, while I do like the idea of trying different ones out, I'm one of those mamas that likes everything all here and ready to go before baby gets here, ya know?)

2sunshines
07-15-2007, 08:12 PM
we actually usually left a little of the cloth out of the cover

Yea, that would definitely cause wicking. You want to make sure that all of the diaper is inside of the cover.

2sunshines, that's a good idea to try out a few different ones....but if you only have a few different dipes for trying out purposes, what do you do in the meantime until you figure what you like best and then waiting for them to arive, etc....(may seem like a silly question, while I do like the idea of trying different ones out, I'm one of those mamas that likes everything all here and ready to go before baby gets here, ya know?)

Yea, that's the struggle I guess. You can take a guess as to what you will like the best, but to be honest, it's hard to know until you start trying it, you know?

Do you have an idea as to what kind of system you might be interested in?

mellymommy
07-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Wow, I guess I had a great experience with Kushies then because I really liked mine.

I also like pocket dipes and I have some that from motheringbasics.com that I LOVE.

klpmommy
07-16-2007, 06:08 AM

I can tell you what I am doing- I have enough total diapers to get us through a couple of days while I figure out what I like, then I plan to resell or trade the ones I don't like so much & buy ones I do like. So for a while I will be using diapers I don't like so much b/c that is what I have, but I will have enough diapers. I have never cd'ed before & I am excited about it!! :)

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 07:36 AM
And if you're willing to buy used, you can buy a few of different kinds and sell the ones that you decide that you don't like and not really take much (if any) loss on them. :shrug Buy enough to get through a day (it's easy enough to wash daily) of a few different types, try them out, decide which one or two systems you like, then go back and buy more of that or those systems. :yes

hopefromgrace
07-16-2007, 08:31 AM
that's a good idea :yes
so, are the main different types~pre-folds~fitted~pocket~aio???
Are a lot of the pocket ones fitted also, b/c I was checking out Fuzzi Bunz (really like, but so expensive!) and they seemed to be both :shrug
Anybody really like the fuzzi bunz, or ones similar?

2sunshines
07-16-2007, 08:53 AM
The main systems are:

prefolds and covers

fitteds and covers

pockets

all-in-ones

I think that's it. There are variations on them.

Pockets are not fitteds. Fitted diapers just mean that they are fitted but do not have the waterproof material. So, while a pocket fits nicely (thus I can see how you could confuse the term fitted), it is not a fitted but rather a pocket (is that a tongue twister :giggle )

I personally hate aio's. I just find that they take forever to dry and you can get all the benefits of an aio in another diaper, imo. I like pocket diapers. I tried fuzzi bunz but never liked them as much as other diapers, but there are several moms here who absolutely swear by them. My fave pocket is the bum genius one size pocket. I love how they fit and they work forever since they are one size so they are much more economical.

My fave system overall is fitteds and covers and prefolds and covers, with a few pockets for simplicity or to use when someone else is changing a diaper (because they are SO easy).

If you want specific recommendations of each type feel free to ask. Everyone has their favourites.

I recommend buying a few prefolds, a few fitteds, and probably two covers. Then a couple of pockets, and maybe an aio if you like the idea.

Whatever system you decide on, I don' think that you'll regret getting a few of each system, because I personally love having different systems in my stash. Different diapers serve different purposes I find. And although I definitely have my favourites, and tend to reach for one or two systems the most, the other diapers definitely do serve their purpose adn do get used in certain circumstances, you know?

And like I said before, you can always re-sell what you don't like.

hopefromgrace
07-16-2007, 10:04 AM
Thanks!
That's very helpfull :)