PDA

View Full Version : need help for a friend who's desperate to avoid CIO...

Rbonmom
07-10-2007, 02:24 PM
My friend is having major sleep issues with her little 11mo ds. Basically she either rocks or nurses him to sleep, but then he will only stay sleeping for about 30-45min and then he wakes again. It goes on like that for most of the night. She's just at her wits end. Her ds won't let her dh put him down without becoming very upset so she's trying to do it all on her own. She's feeling like resorting to CIO because nothing is working.
They've done the whole "NCSS" plan and that helped to set up a routine, but isn't solving the problem of keeping him asleep for the night :/ He does take two naps, one morning and one in the afternoon for about 1.5hrs, but it's hard to get him down for those too.
I recommended the "pick up/put down" method from the Baby Whisperer because that's what I had to resort to with ds around the same age. Basically you lay the baby in the crib and then when they stand up and fuss, you pick them up and comfort them and then lay them back down and pat their back until they either fall asleep or stand back up, and then you start over.
When I did it with ds, the first time it took about 45times of PU/PD until he finally fell asleep, but then each time it took less and less until I was able to just lay him down and rub his back for a few minutes until he fell asleep. Now with her little guy, it started out with about 45x the first time, but last night and this afternoon it took over 200 times :jawdrop Obviously she's totally frazzled and is at the end of her rope. Most of her friends are telling her to just CIO, but she doesn't want to.
What on earth do you think could be going on here? How can she get him to start sleeping for longer stretches and going to sleep faster? Any advice would be great at this point.

Dana Joy
07-10-2007, 02:31 PM
well what happens if she just lets him miss his naps- just wait and see when his natural sleep times are?

3PeasInAPod
07-10-2007, 02:33 PM
well what happens if she just lets him miss his naps- just wait and see when his natural sleep times are?

I would do that too. I'd also look into food allergies. Basically, there's a reason he's doing this...so CIO is not going to solve the problem he's having.

AmyWA
07-10-2007, 02:35 PM
Our pediatrician told us that sometimes using fabric softener when you wash/dry baby's clothes will create frequent night wakings. Not sure if it's true or not, but it's certainly worth a try.

mamaKristin
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
is he teething? is this a new thing? if it's new, could he have an ear infection?

none of my kids were doing 2 naps a day by 11 months. He may just not be ready to sleep at that time. :shrug

mybodymyself
07-10-2007, 02:38 PM
:popcorn

MarynMunchkins
07-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Is he teething?

My kids started sleeping once they got all their teeth.

ArmsOfLove
07-10-2007, 03:08 PM
at 11 months it's probably teething and she may be letting him get overtired and needs to try earlier/different bedtimes :heart

Rbonmom
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
It's been going on for about 3mo now. She doesn't think he's teething anymore, he's been a difficult sleeper the whole time. I do think he's mainly bf'd and he's also underweight so the Naturopath she's been taking him too has been encouraging her to continue bf'd every two hrs round the clock until he gets up to wt. (He's actually been losing wt., I should clarify).

I'll have to ask her about the fabric softener and possible food allergies :/

I think he goes down at 7:30 plus the two naps so I don't know that he'd be over tired. I do remember my ds was switching to just one nap at that point, so maybe it's too much sleep?

MarynMunchkins
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm on my 4th kid - the last of which is cutting teeth. You aren't "done" teeth until about 3 months after that last molars cuts through. And it starts over when they get 6 yo molars and start losing teeth. ;)

That being said, if he's losing weight, I'd suspect food allergies above all else. :yes

ArmsOfLove
07-10-2007, 07:11 PM
ITA with Mary

and if this has been a problem all along I'd eliminate dairy

why isn't she nursing that much already??? Is he on food? liquids? if he's losing weight then it could also be celiac and I'd have him blood tested for that :(

gentlemommy
07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
none of my kids were doing 2 naps a day by 11 months. He may just not be ready to sleep at that time. :shrug

I was thinking along this line too. Two naps a day totalling 3 hours of napping, and then down for bed at 7:30 seems like a lot of sleep to me, unless he gets up really early or something. Dd was down to one nap at that point and still wasn't in bed at 7:30 (although she slept in late :think) Maybe he's just not that tired? What about trying to cut the naps short or slowly eliminate one of the naps? Or maybe moving the bedtime a little later, watching him for sleepy cues? Also, is he getting lots of stimulation during the day? Outside time, active play, getting out and about to stores, maybe even little playdates, new environments, etc? That always helps dd fall asleep easier and stay asleep. :)

Soliloquy
07-11-2007, 04:37 AM
An herbal preparation called Valerian Super Calm kept me from going crazy when Simon was waking every 20-30 minutes all night. It really worked for Simon!! http://www.herbsforkids.com/product.asp?productid=377