PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Desitin?

klpmommy
07-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I know that diaper rash is not as frequent with cd's, but I also know my mom. And when she comes after Binkiness is born she is going to want to slather her with desitin. I am not really willing to fight this battle but I don't want to mess up my cd's. Is there a safe for cd alternative?

inesperada
07-10-2007, 06:28 AM
Earth Mama Angel Baby bottom balm is the one I plan on.

jmh1013
07-10-2007, 06:40 AM
We use Bodreaux (sp) Butt Paste. Sounds creepy, but it works fast and we cd and havent had any problems

2sunshines
07-10-2007, 06:41 AM
I actually use corn starch. Completely natural. Cheap. And works great.

However, ftr, I find that dd rarely gets a rash in cloth. Only when she does one of those "surprise" poops that I didn't catch quick enough. And in those cases, I just let her air out by putting her in a fitted or prefold with no cover and put some corn starch on it. It solves it every time. :yes

mwwr
07-10-2007, 06:43 AM
A and D ointment works well, doesn't smell too bad, and won't stain. *I* even use it for me. :shifty

DoulaClara
07-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I've *heard* that Burt's Bee's Diaper Ointment is okay for CD-ing, and doesn't cause build-up (this from the other cloth diapering moms at the birth center cloth diapering class).

Clara

Oliveshoots
07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I LOVE Indigo Wild's Lullaby Lavender Wee Rub (http://www.indigowild.com/shopping/productdetail.cfm?ID=579). It smells heavenly and is all natural (no zinc).

I've gone through 3 cans of it with dc's (we don't use it much anymore, so this last can has lasted about a year.)

I sometimes use it on any dry skin patches I have and it works great.

loveberry
07-10-2007, 07:20 AM
Breastmilk! Not sure how your mom will react to that, though. :giggle

klpmommy
07-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Thank you for so many choices!!! I know my mom won't "accept" breastmilk (tbh she is kind of grossed out about the whole breastfeeding thing anyway :rolleyes2 ) & probably wouldn't corn starch (it is a food after all :rolleyes ), but the others would probably work fine. The lavendar one sounds really good, too!!!!

Whenever she changed one of P or E's diapers she would automatically slather desitin all over the behind to "make sure" that there would be no diaper rash. So I need to have something here & available when she arrives or I know she will buy something. :ty

Katherine
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Even the mainstream sources have told me not to use anything unless they had a rash.

Can you just tell her... "My pediatrician has advised us not to use any kind of cream or powder unless baby actually develops an obvious rash. They're realized now that the powder can get in their nasal passages and cause congestion, and the creams expose them to potential allergens much earlier than they need to be exposed to them. It's different than the conventional wisdom I've always heard, but allergies/asthma are a much more common problem these days, and we're going to follow his advice on this one."

I HATE Desitin! My baby screamed bloody murder then one time I used that for a rash. :cry It must have burned him badly. :(

I second the Butt Paste suggestion for rashes--it's very soothing, or a zinc oxide powder to protect the skin until the rash heals.

arwen
07-10-2007, 09:04 AM
buttpaste works wonders!
my kids are 3 and 5 and i still have some to use

mybodymyself
07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
:popcorn

Iarwain
07-10-2007, 05:04 PM
She'd object to cornstarch? Huh. It was my mom that told me to try it because she used it on me. I always thought it was a generational thing but I guess not. My mom used it straight from the box but they sell 100% cornstarch in baby powder cans, though they usually have a scent added. I just kept the free sample powder can I got with my first and pried the lid off and refilled it with some from the kitchen. I still have it.

Desitin is so stinky and I never thought it worked all that well anyway. There are lots of other options and I haven't noticed much staining from anything we've used but then I'm not picky about stains either so don't pay much attention.

2sunshines
07-10-2007, 05:08 PM
She'd object to cornstarch? Huh. It was my mom that told me to try it because she used it on me.

Oh, it's definitely a generational thing. My mil was the one that told me about it and insists it's the best thing ever. My mom said that she also used it on us.

I am also surprised that your mom would object to it. Did she cd you? You might be surprised that she did use corn starch or something similar.

klpmommy
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
She'd object to cornstarch? Huh. It was my mom that told me to try it because she used it on me.

Oh, it's definitely a generational thing. My mil was the one that told me about it and insists it's the best thing ever. My mom said that she also used it on us.

I am also surprised that your mom would object to it. Did she cd you? You might be surprised that she did use corn starch or something similar.

Yes, I was cd'ed, but only b/c I was apparently allergic to the brand new invention of disposables. Which is one of the reasons I think my mom is so upset by my choice to cd this baby, but that is another post in & of itself.

I don't know for sure that my mom would object to cornstarch, but I am 95% sure she would b/c that just isn't "modern", kwim? And this isn't a battle I want to deal with when she comes after Binkiness is born, so I want to have an alternative that she is comfortable with, that won't harm my diapers (b/c I don't want stains or anything that will shorten the life of the diapers).

P&E rarely had diaper rashes, so I don't think I ever put desitin on a rash (we usually did diaper free daysthe rare times a rash appeared, I am pretty good at keeping up with diaper changes), the desitin was to *prevent* rash from starting.

My mom is having a hard enough time with my decision to cd, so when she is here I really don't want to add to my frustration level. No one can frustrate me like my mom can.

2sunshines
07-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Oh, I totally understand. Sometimes you have to do things to pacify people to avoid a conflict.

You've received some good recommendations for things to use. :yes

klpmommy
07-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh, I totally understand. Sometimes you have to do things to pacify people to avoid a conflict.

You've received some good recommendations for things to use. :yes

Yup, that is where this stands. I will fight against my mom & NIP, I will fight against her & cd. I will fight against her for so many things, but this is definately a "pick your battles" scenario. She might surprise me (which is why I told her already that I am going to cd, let it sink in), but rather than counting on it if it happens I will be pleasantly surprised. So I will have one of these products on hand for her to use while she is here.

Thank you all so much!!! I really appreciate the help!

zak
07-12-2007, 07:05 AM
I love this calendula ointment from California Baby. http://www.californiababy.com/calendula-cream-2-oz.html

TestifyToLove
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
I use lanolin and/or cornstartch for my baby's bottoms if something is needed. Until baby #3, I just used Bag balm from the farmer supply store.

illinoismommy
07-12-2007, 04:13 PM
I know that diaper rash is not as frequent with cd's, but I also know my mom. And when she comes after Binkiness is born she is going to want to slather her with desitin. I am not really willing to fight this battle but I don't want to mess up my cd's. Is there a safe for cd alternative?

:giggle That's funny, my stepmom always wants to put desitin on my kids too!!

Piper2
07-12-2007, 05:23 PM
My mil was the one that told me about it and insists it's the best thing ever. My mom said that she also used it on us.

My mother still thinks Desitin is the best thing since sliced bread. I use it when I need it, which is so seldom I have to buy a new tube every time because the old one's gotten so yucky. :P

Yes, I was cd'ed, but only b/c I was apparently allergic to the brand new invention of disposables. Which is one of the reasons I think my mom is so upset by my choice to cd this baby, but that is another post in & of itself.

Do we have the same mother? We didn't cd, but I wanted to, and when I mentioned to my mother that I was thinking about it, she nearly exploded asking me why in the world I would want to go through ALL that trouble...she was SO glad that they were able to use disposables with my youngest brother instead of those stinky old cloth diapers (like disposables don't smell when they poop in them? :scratch).

When I worked in a pharmacy, we would mix up something called "Glover's Buttock Paste" that a local doctor came up with. I don't remember the ingredients exactly, but I do remember it used zinc oxide and peruvian balsam. The folks who bought it usually had grandparents whose children were delivered and taken care of by Dr. Glover and swore by the stuff.

ETA: My mother also didn't think I could survive without Johnson's Baby Lotion. Never mind that everybody and their mother had each given me a lifetime supply of...whatever the other popular brand is. She actually went out a got a mondo-sized bottle of it and insisted on coating my child with it at every possible opportunity because it "made him smell like a baby". :rolleyes2

Rabbit
07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Weleda all the way. Zinc, or the plain calendula cream.

What kind of diapers are you using? Many more creams are compatible with natural fabrics than synthetics, like the fleece diapers. Butt Paste has petroleum products in it.

Give her some creamy lotion or herbal balm in a jar, and call it diaper cream.

klpmommy
07-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Weleda all the way. Zinc, or the plain calendula cream.

What kind of diapers are you using? Many more creams are compatible with natural fabrics than synthetics, like the fleece diapers. Butt Paste has petroleum products in it.

Give her some creamy lotion or herbal balm in a jar, and call it diaper cream.

No clue exactly what I will be using. I have a variety so far & plan to figure out what I like in the first few weeks. :shrug

Littledisciples
07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
Adding another thing that was not mentioned. Brown Flour. My mom did this and we used cloth diapers too. You take white flour and put it in a dry skillit and cook it tell it turns brown. Then store it in a container that is sealed and just use it like powder. I swear it works wonders. ITs all natural too.