PDA

View Full Version : pocket dipes wicking

puah
07-09-2007, 02:26 AM
i have a bunch of pockets about the same age, washed together and the haute pockets have started wicking at the legs. any ideas? it's a bummer!!!

ozmummy
07-09-2007, 03:27 AM
Could be detergent buildup?

Try stripping - very *hot* wash with a good quality dish washing liquid.

And lots of rinse cycles until water is clear, and no odour....

:shrug

2sunshines
07-09-2007, 06:43 AM
The first thing I'd do is strip the inserts. If they have detergent build up, they would repel, which could very well cause all the pee to go down the sides of the diaper and thus wicking around the legs. If that doesn't solve it, I'd strip the pocket diaper itself. If there is build up on the inner layer, it could cause it to repel rather than allowing the pee to go through it.

I've always heard that you want to use the original blue dawn dishwashing soap to strip. But you can also do it just with hot water until there are no suds.

I'd also throw the diaper in the dryer on hot to reseal the PUL.

If none of these help, then I'd contact the makers of the haute pocket, www.mtdiaperstore.com to see if they have any suggestion.

puah
07-09-2007, 08:03 AM
i just stripped everything a couple weeks ago, and use the same inserts on my various brands of pockets and don't have this problem with any other brand. everything was stripped together too, so i'm confused. :shrug maybe i should contact mtdipes....

2sunshines
07-09-2007, 08:08 AM
have you tried drying the diapers on hot to reseal the pul? I know that when they first come, you're supposed to do one hot dry because the area around the legs where they sewed (causing needle holes) needed to be sealed up.

If this doesn't help, I'd contact mtdiaperstore and see what they say.

Naked Camper
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
I had a hard time stripping last week. It finally took simmering my dipes in oxyclean.

puah
07-09-2007, 10:07 PM
ok, i poured a little water on the fleece, it absorbed right away and instantly the wet spots appeared around the seams, so i'm guessing they need to be resealed. unfortunately we don't own a dryer and live in a developing country where there aren't many...BUT we are getting one very soon because it's monsoon here and drying clothes and diapers without them molding is challenging to say the least. so i'll try resealing when it comes! thanks for the helpful hints!!

ozmummy
07-10-2007, 12:56 AM
I wonder if a hair dryer would do it? :shrug

(that's if you have access?)

Naked Camper
07-10-2007, 04:46 AM
ohh, hair dryer is a great idea :yes

puah- we have a lot of dipes at our house that aren't the greatest and they wick rather quickly around the legs. DS spends most days here in a t-shirt and his diaper. He gets changed often, but I don't worry about his clothes getting wet b/c he's not wearing any, KWIM?

:hug that must be frustrating about your clothes getting moldy :(