PDA

View Full Version : OK- talk me off the edge!!!

klpmommy
07-08-2007, 03:32 PM
I am starting to have doubts about trying to CD this baby. Partly b/c of my housekeeping skills (or lack thereof) & partly b/c I keep seeing people talk about how they can't get their cd'ed baby bottoms in clothes- I have TONS of clothes from P&E that I plan to use this time & I can't afford to buy a bunch of new stuff to accommodate a cd bottom. So talk me back into cd!!!!! I really want to do it, I just need to hear some encouragement, I think.

Iarwain
07-08-2007, 03:41 PM
You can fit them into clothes just fine, it just may mean going up a size in some things. :) And diaper laundry is easy. For a lot of moms it's a positive because it's self-contained and can give you a great sense of accomplishment because it's easier to get done than regular laundry.

abbiroads
07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I get the diaper laundry done even if I don't get anything else done. I have to, cause the baby need s a clean bottom. I haven't had any trouble with clothes, but I have skinny babies. I think you will really like the cloth once you get used to it. It is so easy, especially before they start solids. Maybe it would help to commit to it for a certain number of weeks?

klpmommy
07-08-2007, 03:50 PM
I have committed to basically six months (small size diapers, although I have collected some mediums as well). I just need to hear these things right now. P&E were both skinny babies, so knowing that helps A LOT. Just keep reassuring me, please.

abbiroads
07-08-2007, 03:52 PM
yup, your going to love it, especially the part of "oh no, we are almost out of diapers, someone has to go to the store." and coming up with diaper money every week or so was always a pain.

TestifyToLove
07-08-2007, 03:58 PM
hey now, you have to try CDing! I just got your wool and I'm going to start a darling little wrap soon. Who is going to wear a cute little wrap with ladybug buttons if you don't CD????

Seriously, the only time the bubble butt is a problem is at night for us. And, I've had to go to the extreme for nighttime diapers with my super soaker. One pieces work just fine, even when the bottom gets super big. I can still fit my 8 month old in 3-6 months clothes, cloth diaper and all! Maybe 3 pairs of her 3-6 month pants are getting to tight to fit around the cloth diapers. But, at home she just wears a shirt and a diaper w/ cover.

illinoismommy
07-08-2007, 04:53 PM
I haven't had any problems with cloth diapering affecting clothes, then again I use Fuzzi Bunz which are pretty trim I feel :)

klpmommy
07-08-2007, 04:58 PM
:phew starting to feel better!

hey now, you have to try CDing! I just got your wool and I'm going to start a darling little wrap soon. Who is going to wear a cute little wrap with ladybug buttons if you don't CD????

:giggle Thanks for the reminder. I am going to do it!!!! I just need to be reminded sometimes that it isn't going to be as hard as "everyone" says, kwim? Or maybe I should just stop talking to people IRL...... :think :giggle

yup, your going to love it, especially the part of "oh no, we are almost out of diapers, someone has to go to the store." and coming up with diaper money every week or so was always a pain.

Yup, yup, yup. I *have* to remember that. Using cd's and going to cloth pads is going to save me money b/c if I am not at the store I won't buy other stuff. Gotta remember that. I know I would go to the store to get diapers (or pads for me) & while there end up buying a bunch of other stuff. Not going to happen with cloth!!!

OK, I am feeling much better now!!!!! But keep talking me through this, I am sure I will go through this at least one more time before Binkiness arrives.

TuneMyHeart
07-08-2007, 05:08 PM
Cloth doesn't leak as much as disposables. We used sposies for the first time in months for a camping trip two months ago, and every time Ellie pooped, she was covered from her chin to her knees.:sick2 We were so glad when we got her back into her cloth dipes. :phew

Cloth diapers are easier than disposables! It's much easier to wash a load of diapers than to load Ellie into the car and go to the store. It also encourages me to keep up on laundry because washing diapers is a priority. ;) I have to get the other loads out of the washer and dryer to get the diapers done.

Soliloquy
07-08-2007, 05:10 PM
And diaper laundry is easy. For a lot of moms it's a positive because it's self-contained and can give you a great sense of accomplishment because it's easier to get done than regular laundry.

very true!!

klpmommy
07-09-2007, 03:39 AM
I am feeling much more confident this morning, thank you all!!! Just a fleeting moment of panic I think. :grouphug :ty

IslandHome
07-09-2007, 05:16 AM
Just another positive from a very bad housekeeper... I actually find CD keeps me on top of my washing, because I'm in a habit of doing a load every morning. When we gave it a break for a month I was suddenly really behind in the washing again!!! :yes

RosalieMarie
07-09-2007, 05:40 AM
I am a terrible housekeeper. Terrible. But, I LOVE washing diapers! Sitting and folding diapers relaxes me. I don't even consider it a chore.

As for the clothes thing, I had a little trouble when I first started cloth with Lily at 7 months. She was CHUNKY, and I had a really bulky system. As long as I used soft pants, we were fine.Of course, I needed to anyway because of her chunky thighs! I still never put her in jeans, they just seem so uncomfortable!

You'll do great!! :heart

zak
07-09-2007, 06:10 AM
:giggle Thanks for the reminder. I am going to do it!!!! I just need to be reminded sometimes that it isn't going to be as hard as "everyone" says, kwim? Or maybe I should just stop talking to people IRL...... :think :giggle

Yeah, stop talking to the naysayers! If they are older than our generation - even if they DID cloth diaper, their experience is going to be totally different! You can do this! It's odd, and kind of silly, but there is just *something* sweet about a load of clean diapers - fresh from the dryer. :heart

AFA the clothing issue, you can just size "up" and still reuse what you have. :) Reid was a fat-chubbo regardless - and we always had to size up because of the bulky-ness of a prefold/doubler combo. We mostly did separates or a onsie with pants. :)

anothernight82
07-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I know I would go to the store to get diapers (or pads for me) & while there end up buying a bunch of other stuff. Not going to happen with cloth!!!

CD seems like it might be more of a convenience than a burden. Oh !! Do you sew? Or anyone else here. The other day I thought of something crazy enough that it just might work. Has anyone ever thought of buying a dz of CPFs in preemie size, and washing it before use as with any other time. Then sewing a small cover, and using it as a sanitary napkin? I figure it might save alot of money, and there are a ton of tuts online for making your own with different fabric, but I have yet to hear feedback on people that have thought about or actually tried inexpensive CPF for that purpose instead. Might make your garbage bags a little lighter/last longer, less time you'd have to dish out $$ for more garbage bags, and pads, and possiblly transportation to travel to the store .
:think :shrug :scratch

Sincerely,
Erika

Amber
07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
I am a messy, but I actually don't mind washing my dipes...it makes me feel, I don't know...more motherly or something :giggle

Don't worry about the clothes. I cd'ed Kyle from birth, he started out big and right now his butt is the same size as his 3yo brother...it has been for quite a while now :giggle (my little chunky monkey) I just size up on the pants, and roll up the legs. When I had to buy new ones I just looked for pants with looser waist bands and a more generous cut. Cole on the other hand is on the skinny side and if he isn't in cloth diapers his pants tend to fall off :giggle I'm not sure what I am going to do when he potty trains. I guess he will just have droopy drawers :shifty