PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my letter to the NY officials for HSing

Gentle Journey
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Ok, so if you followed teh other thread then this will make sense:)

I'm thinking of sending an e-mail, which is how we are currently in communication:

Dear _____,

I am a resident of Ontario. We moved within days of pulling DD out of kindergarten and therfore were not in NY during the last quarter so I am unsure why it is required that I file a report for that last quarter. We actually spend a solid 4 months during the summer, plus with my grandmother dying, we intend to go stay with my grandfather 1 week a month, plus we have appt.'s and various other things that call us home. I figure over the next year we will spend appx. 190 days in Ontario, more than half the year. As Ontario residents, we still have all of our rights and benefits as Ontario residents, pay our income tax here, have our legal address here, and all of our ID remains in our Ontario address. You see, my husband is a student with a visa. We will in permenently leaving NY in 2008. Since our daughter will not be enetering a public instituion and we are not residents of NY, It is my intention to file as a homeschooler with the school board in my district in Ontario. Please let me know if you have any problems with this arrangement.

Sincerly,

I'm now wondering if it would be better to get in contact with our school board here in Ontario first and see what they say before I get on the bad side of NY's school board.

Hermana Linda
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The letter looks good to me. (disclaimer, I have not followed your backstory at all) Also, I agree that you should probably check with the Ontairo board first, just to be safe.

lenswyf
07-06-2007, 09:08 PM
I have to be honest. I am confused by your letter, so I expect that a disinterested public official will be confused as well. You moved within days... from NY? From Ontario? May I suggest simplifying it this way? I am just guessing at some of this, but I hope you can see what I'm trying to do (i.e., not give them more info than they need).

Dear _____,

This letter is in response to the NY Office of _____'s request for a report on the last quarter of the academic year, 2005-2006. We removed our daughter from the public school on [date], and moved to Ontario on [date]. We were not in NY for the last quarter of the academic year, and therefore have nothing to report to the state.

I and my family are residents of Ontario. We are residing in NY temporarily--and legally--while my husband is a student at ______. As Ontario residents, we continue to hold all of our rights and benefits as Ontario residents. We pay Canadian income taxes; have a legal Ontario address; possess legal, Canadian identification with our Ontario address; and so on.

To tend to various personal and family needs, I anticipate spending more than half of the coming academic year in Ontario with my children. We have determined that our children will be best served by homeschooling, and we intend to register as a homeschooling family with our home school district in Ontario for the 2007-2008 academic year.

Our daughter will not be entering any of NY's fine public educational institutions. Please let me know if there are any further questions regarding our family's situation and educational plans.

Thank you,
___

Gentle Journey
07-06-2007, 09:12 PM
Very nice, thank you :heart