PDA

View Full Version : Crying by my 2 year old?

Carmen
07-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Who would think that my 2 year old is the one keeping me up, not my 5 month old? A little background, she slept in our room (part in her pack n play, part in our bed) until about 6 months old. We moved her to her crib then, and she did great, still got up once or twice (mostly twice) to eat until she was about 13 or 14 months old. She has slept very well since then, we have out little bedtime routine, teeth, books, talk for a while, talk about what good dreams she's going to have, then off to sleep. It's been that way for a while now (except for a few nights here and there with a cold).

Recently (the last few nights and naps) she wakes up just crying and crying, after about 45 minutes of nap (which isn't long enough for her, but she is too worked up to go back to sleep) and 5 or 6 times at night she wakes up and cries and cries. Last night, she woke up first at 9:30, I went up, took her out of her crib, wiped off her face, laid down on her big bed with her (we're working on the crib/big bed transition, so they are both in her room). I was trying to figure out what happened. She wouldn't talk to me AT ALL (and she is quite a talker, has tons of words, is my little jabberbox) I asked her if something hurt, I asked her if she had a bad dream, then some fireworks went off and I asked her if that was what upset her and she said yes. So, I thought it was just the fireworks that woke her up and scared her. I turned on the fan for some white noise, put her back to bed, she seemed fine. 10:00, repeat, but with DH. 11:30, woke up, I just couldn't get her to calm down, she acted like she needed to blow her nose (and I know she did, her pillow was covered with snot). I ended up giving her some Tylenol, thinking she maybe had a headache (I know it's that time of year for me to get them). 10 minutes later she was up again, so I just laid down on her big bed with her, she went into a nice deep sleep, put her in her crib and went back to bed. (Of course, at that point the Tot woke up to eat). She woke back up at 2:30, 2:45, I went back in and slept on her bed for a while, then she was out until almost 6:30.

Any ideas what might be causing her to be waking like this all of a sudden? She has all of her teeth, so it isn't molars popping through. Nothing else has changed in her routine. Nightmares? Growth spurt? I wouldn't even mind sleeping with her until she gets over it, but Tot needs to eat still at night, and I don't think DH would wake up when she does to come get me.

Any advice on helping her work through this? I am already tired enough from being up at night with the little one, but today I am just non functional. She woke up from her nap the same way today. Crying and more crying, didn't want me to pick her up, didn't want me to leave, didn't want anything I was trying to give her, didn't want a drink, wouldn't tell me anything. She is perfectly normal when she is awake, though. She has been wonderfully chipper today, even at the grocery. I'm just looking for some ideas to get me through until she gets through this phase.

Aisling
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Has she had any changes in schedule are stress lately? Scary incidents? Those always make sleep tough for my 2yo. :hug2

milkdud
07-03-2007, 03:11 PM
I have no idea. Beans goes through this periodically. :shrug I started giving him this on those nights and it seems to help. Sorry though, I know how hard it is especially with The Tot to still take care of.
http://www.hylands.com/products/calms4kids.php

Carmen
07-03-2007, 07:07 PM
That's the thing. I'm trying to come up with anything that might have happened that she could still be upset about, but I'm having trouble. At this point I am going to assume that it is just a growth spurt. I've checked her diet (she has a dairy sensitivity, so we keep an eye on that). Hm, I have just recently made a much more concerted effort to cutting out HFCS, could it be a "getting worse before it gets better" kind of thing? Just musing. Any advice on how to make these scary night wakings easier for her would be greatly appreciated.

Aisling
07-03-2007, 08:26 PM
Learning new words or skills and cutting teeth also cause my little ones to do this. :hugheart

Carmen
07-04-2007, 07:03 PM
I am so happy to say that she did much better last night. I guess my instincts were right that she was just going through some kind of something or other. The fireworks tonight aren't helping her sleeping, but hopefully the neighborhood will use up all their firepower here in the next hour and we can all get some rest.