PDA

View Full Version : Unbleached Indian Prefolds?

HollyS
06-14-2007, 06:43 AM
I just started CDing using Gerber prefolds :blush and just ordered some unbleached Indian prefolds. I've read that these need to be washed several times. For the next month we're using public laundry and spending $1.00 to wash. Is there anyway I can get these ready to use without spending a lot of money (my husband is a student...$5.00 is a lot of money right now :lol ). Could I maybe boil them to get them ready?

2sunshines
06-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Yep, you can boil them.

You definitely need to prep these before use or they won't work well. Unbleached prefolds have a film of natural oil on them that need to be removed.

Ideally, you want to wash on hot and dry several times. They will fluff right up.

But if you boil them, then pound them around and hang dry them, it might work. The dryer will really fluff them up though. You could boil them, and then stick them in the dryer with your regular laundry. That way you are still getting the dryer benefit of them fluffing up, but not using additional dryer time. I'd do this at least a couple of times before using.

Mama Bird
06-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Just make sure you don't use a dryer sheet in the dryer. I'd make sure I didn't even dry them with a load that had fabric softener in the wash. Let us know how the boiling works for you!

2sunshines
06-14-2007, 06:53 AM
I'd make sure I didn't even dry them with a load that had fabric softener in the wash.

:yes absolutely. Thanks for that reminder. I don't even use any fabric softener anymore on anything becuase I'm too afraid of it getting on my cd's.

HollyS
06-14-2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks! The fabric softener won't be a problem since I don't use it anyway. :lol I kept forgetting to take it to the laundry room, then I realized I didn't really miss it, so I just quit using it altogether.