PDA

View Full Version : help for a friend with a newborn who sleeps during the day instead of at night

Hermana Linda
06-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I have a friend who had a baby 11 days ago. I called her yesterday to see how they were doing and her only real problem is that he sleeps all day and is up all night. I know what this is, he has day and night reversed. I know why as well. I explained all this to her, but she still seems to want to fix it. Go figure. :shrug :giggle So, what should I tell her? It's been so long for me, I really don't remember what I did.

Iarwain
06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I tried to keep them awake in the evening a little more each day to gradually shift their clock. Lots and lots of late-evening nursing in the 2-3 hours before I wanted to go to bed. Eventually they adjust anyway, but I preferred to gently help the process along.

Hermana Linda
06-03-2007, 03:55 PM
Thank you Iarwain. That's pretty much what I told her, I hope she understood. It was a bad cellphone connection and in Spanish to boot. I'm so glad to know that eventually they adjust. I have told her to sleep when he sleeps, but I don't know how well she is doing with that. I'll have to call her again soon, with the landline.

Ali
06-03-2007, 03:57 PM
When the baby does sleep in the day, keep the baby out where all the action/noise is and in a room that gets sunlight. Then at night - nice and dark and quiet even when baby is awake. That also helps adjust the sleep cycle.

Hermana Linda
06-03-2007, 04:04 PM
When the baby does sleep in the day, keep the baby out where all the action/noise is and in a room that gets sunlight. Then at night - nice and dark and quiet even when baby is awake. That also helps adjust the sleep cycle.

Ooooh, good advice. I'll call her and tell her this one. :tu

herbalwriter
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM

Ooooh, good advice. I'll call her and tell her this one. :tu

I second this - and get the baby outside if possible during the day. The key is exposure to light in the day (even if asleep) and dark in the night (even if awake), and eventually their systems will click.

allisonintx
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Exactly, BRIGHT 100watt bulbs and lots of sunshine from open blinds all day long! That is a major help! Then quiet, no stimulation, as little interaction as possible in the night.

Hermana Linda
06-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Exactly, BRIGHT 100watt bulbs and lots of sunshine from open blinds all day long! That is a major help! Then quiet, no stimulation, as little interaction as possible in the night.

Thanks. I'm still trying to get ahold of her. I need to be more diligent about this. I've tried 3 times since I said I would call her and no answer. I need to try more often.

:ot oooh, what a nice, binary post count you have. (11100) :giggle