PDA

View Full Version : Cirriculum Fairs?

WI Mama05
05-25-2007, 06:14 PM
How do I go about finding one? I am so confused about different cirriculums that I figure going to a fair and seeing them will help me figure it out. Right? or wrong?

Peaceful Meadows
05-25-2007, 06:19 PM
It sometimes helps to see them and page through them but it can also further confuse because there are so many! It can help to write down what you are interested in and just look at those, making sure not to look at others that you crossed off your list. It also helps to go with a set amount and promise that you are not going to spend more than that. Friends of mind don't buy anything at the curriculum fairs and then sit on it for a month or so before buying so they don't impulse buy.

To find a curriculum fair near you...do you have a state homeschool organization? They often have curriculum fairs listed on their sites or if you know homeschoolers in your area you could ask them.

Leslie
05-25-2007, 06:36 PM
It sometimes helps to see them and page through them but it can also further confuse because there are so many! It can help to write down what you are interested in and just look at those, making sure not to look at others that you crossed off your list. It also helps to go with a set amount and promise that you are not going to spend more than that. Friends of mind don't buy anything at the curriculum fairs and then sit on it for a month or so before buying so they don't impulse buy.

That's really good advice. If you're not sure what you're looking for, it can be overwhelming to see so many choices. Even when you do know what you're looking for, seeing all those choices has a tendency to make even the most confident homeschooling moms feel like they aren't doing enough (i.e., not using enough resources) and end up coming home with purchases that seemed so necessary at the time, but never get used.

>>I am so confused about different cirriculums that I figure going to a fair and seeing them will help me figure it out. Right? or wrong?

You should find out as much as you can about these curriculums before the curriculum fair, try to narrow your options down to two or three to seriously look at. Talk to people who are using them, find out what they like/dislike about them, go to the homeschoolreview site, join the email lists or message boards and see how you feel about those curriculums after "hearing" the discussions on their forums. It's hard to really know how a curriculum will work for you by flipping through the pages of the books and looking at their manipulatives - it's much better to hear from people who are actually living with it and using it day in and day out.

Once you have a better feel for what you want/need, a curriculum fair can be a great help to decide between a couple that you're torn between.

mamato2kids
05-26-2007, 01:25 AM
I would do a search for a homeschool convention in your area....they usually have curriculum and different speakers.....maybe that would help!

I am totally hands on...I want to be able to leaf through it before I buy!

klpmommy
05-27-2007, 06:02 PM
so where do you go to learn about curriculums before heading to a fair, store or website to buy?

Leslie
05-27-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/default.aspx

or, ask at places like this, and if you still want to know more, see if they have a message board or email list where you can see what users are saying about it and you can ask questions.

ArmsOfLove
05-27-2007, 09:32 PM
I would also check with your homeschool organization for your state to see if they have a used curriculum fair--I've been able to "try" lots of things for only a small outlay (got my MathUSee manipulatives and the teacher video and book for the old program's first book that we started with for $15 TOTAL!)

the nice thing about a Curriculum Fair is that the representatives there from different places are very knowledgable about their product and can tell you about it and what approaches it fits with and any hurdles you may have with this or that personality of child, etc.

klpmommy
05-28-2007, 05:49 AM
There is a used curriculum fair at my church, but it is the day we will be in TX for a wedding. I am so disappointed! I'll have to look around for others.