PDA

View Full Version : awesome prayer for parents

Havilah
05-25-2007, 02:18 PM
This prayer has been a blessing to me recently, so I wrote the author to ask permission to share it here. There's one phrase that *could* allow for punishment, but doesn't have to. I've been praying this in the mornings and it's really helped me to get my mama-head screwed on straight as we start our day. :heart

O Heavenly Father, make me a better parent. Teach me to understand my children, to listen patiently to what they have to say, and to answer all their questions kindly. Keep me from interrupting them or contradicting them. Make me as courteous to them as I would have them be to me. Forbid that I should ever laugh at their mistakes or resort to shame or ridicule when they displease me. May I never punish them for my own selfish satisfaction or to show my power. Let me not tempt my children to lie or steal. And guide me hour by hour that I may demonstrate by all that I say and do that honesty produces happiness. Reduce, I pray, the meanness in me. And when I'm out of sorts, help me, O Lord, to hold my tongue. May I ever be mindful that my children are children and I should not expect of them the judgment of adults. Let me not rob them of the opportunity to wait on themselves and to make decisions. Bless me with the bigness to grant them all their reasonable requests and the courage to deny them privileges I know will do them harm. Make me fair and just and kind and fit, O Lord, to be loved and respected and imitated by my children. Amen.

:amen

Fr. Anthony Coniaris
from Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home

flowermama
05-25-2007, 03:43 PM
:happytears Oh, that is beautiful! Thank you for sharing it here. :hug

ReedleBeetle
05-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Beautiful!

ChristmasGirl
05-25-2007, 10:45 PM
this is sooo beautiful and fitting :heart i look forward to adding it to my morning prayers :ty

lavendermama
05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
Thank you! It's so simple yet profound. Ditto- getting my mama-head screwed on right in the morning! :yes

Herbwifemama
05-30-2007, 07:10 PM
He put into words what I pray fervently in my heart every day. I also pray that the Spirit manifest It's fruit in me. If I carry these things as part of my character: love; joy; peace; patience; kindness; goodness; faithfulness; gentleness; and self-control, then I can be pretty sure my parenting is good. :pray4 Dear Lord, let it be mine!

ChristmasGirl
10-06-2009, 04:26 PM
:bump

I was feeling really low this morning over my parenting, and God reminded me of this wonderful prayer that spoke on so many areas that I want to grow in.

I'm bumping this in hopes that it will bless someone else today. Thank you Havilah for sharing :heart

ReedleBeetle
10-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I am so glad this popped back up!! :heart

Havilah
10-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Thanks for bumping this, Susie. I need to get back into this habit myself. :heart

Soliloquy
02-13-2011, 08:03 PM
:heart

ChristmasGirl
02-14-2011, 03:07 PM
I :heart this thread. it's awesome that it keeps getting bumped. :hearts

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I esp. appreciate these 2 lines today.

Teach me to understand my children, to listen patiently to what they have to say, and to answer all their questions kindly.

And when I'm out of sorts, help me, O Lord, to hold my tongue.

mommy2abigail
02-15-2011, 06:08 PM
:happytears thank you! I needed that today!:heart

Havilah
02-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Ahem. Today my challenge was

Make me as courteous to them as I would have them be to me.
:O

Pearl In Oyster
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
I need this right now too. :heart. I'd love to share it on Facebook if that would be ok?

LadyofReason
02-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this. It's exactly the type of thing I've been looking for. :)

mariposa
02-17-2011, 02:18 PM
What a lovely prayer...to the OP thanks so much for sharing, to PP thanks so much for bumping! :heart

TraceMama
02-17-2011, 02:57 PM
:heart

amieids
02-17-2011, 03:09 PM
just lovely :heart