PDA

View Full Version : Math- so many choices!

WildOlive
05-23-2007, 06:50 AM
I'm a bit overwhelmed with trying to decide on a math program for next year. There are just soooo many different aproaches. How do you know whether a spiral or mastery approach is best for your child? I am not even sure what i learned when I was in school. We are heading down to syracuse in a couple days to browse the vendors at the convention (I *hope* we can do that, we are not going to convention, but I really want a chance to see the curriculum that is available. Hopefully we are allowed to just go browse the hall) and I'd really like to have some ideas of what things I want to check out in depth.

Any thoughts?

illinoismommy
05-23-2007, 12:28 PM
oooh i'd love to hear people's thoughts on math curriculum :popcorn

MamaMansa
05-23-2007, 12:49 PM
It's definitely easier to see what will work best for you when you have a chance to sit down and look through it. Going to the convention is a great idea. :)

I think ultimately it depends on what learning style you are teaching to. My children are complete opposites and we are using two different math curriculums. My ds is very much a visual learner and needs to see things demonstrated. We use Math-U-See for him. My dd needs repetition to be able to master concepts. However, she is very logical and can figure things out in her head even before I can. We use Saxon for her. (However, I don't really recommend Saxon for grades 1-3, it's a different format than the older grades.)

I think the best way to go about it is to figure out what "style" will work best for your dc and then find the curriculum that suites each child.

joandsarah77
05-23-2007, 07:49 PM
Well I can only say how I choose mine. I am not a maths person so I wanted a programe that gave additional help such as a dvd teacher. I knew having just a manual to read would not do! :nails That cut back my options significantly. I am also a kenetic and visual learner who needs time to grasp things as is my dd, so I wanted a programe with manipulatives that didn't jump around. Math-U-See fits all that perfectly.

booboo
05-24-2007, 10:03 AM
The math we're using is by Modern Curriculum Press. It's really awesome! Rabbit is actually understanding it and she's a bit challenged in this area (me too :O ). She actually enjoys math now! I got it through Rainbow Resource.