PDA

View Full Version : Narration with two

doubleblessings
05-23-2007, 04:45 AM
I know that CM does a lot of narration and I think that I read that classical does too. My question is (and I know this is way in the future for me) how do you work this with two students? Do you have them doing different readings, or to narrate with out hearing the other, or just alternate who goes first? I know CM's methods were used in a classroom so there must be some way to do it.

Long probably unnecessary explanation to follow - feel free to just answer the above without continuing. :)

This question arises for me after reading to my children. DD likes to "read" the book from memory (she wants me to say a few words and then she finishes the sentences). So last night they each picked a story (btw I am so sick of Curious George I think we are going to "forget" it at Grandma's today :shifty). We read DS's first and DD finishes some of the pages. Then we read DD's and DS starts to finish some (which is new). DD gets very upset because this is HER story (the fact that she does this on his stories all the time doesn't seem to count :giggle). DS is very accommodating and is fine with letting her finish the reading. So I know this is something that they may out grow, but DD is almost always the first to answer questions etc. I am wondering how to allow DS to have a chance to come up with things on his own. I see this as a potential problem for lots of school things not just narration.

The Tickle Momster
05-23-2007, 06:58 AM
For narrating with two or more, I think alternating who goes first and having the other child/ren listen and fill details when the 1st is done, is what CM did. So Child A does a narration, and Child B listens and then adds details later. I think I just repeated myself. I would alternate who goes first so they both get practice with longer narrations and with attention to detail. Did any of that make sense?

illinoismommy
05-23-2007, 12:27 PM
my son also likes to finish stories from memory :giggle ..... no help here tho