PDA

View Full Version : More doubts (or questions) about HS vs PS...

WI Mama05
05-19-2007, 05:52 AM
How do I know if my school district is even a good one? I'm starting to panic about that thought. They failed last year's No Child Left Behind thing, but I'm not sure why. I know that a lot of the moms in the meetup group around here are trying to open enroll their kids in a neighboring district that's really good. I just need to figure this out so that I can show DH and compare. What questions should I be asking? I just read the article in the last issue (not most current) of Mothering Mag about recess and that REALLY made me stop and think. We go to a story time at the 4K class at our elementary school once a month and NEVER did I see them plan ANY type of recess thing. It's half-days and they even had the schedule on the wall, but I didn't see any outside time (and we didn't leave until around 10:30 and their day is done around 11:30). I'm truly getting concerned.

Breathe, breathe, breathe! ........Ok. So I need to know what questions to ask so that I can show DH the pros and cons of PS and determine if our school district would even be a good one for our girls. I checked out the homepage for the school district and it's really fluffy. Nothing to help me there.

Also, this feeling to HS is getting stronger and stronger and stronger, but I'm not sure how it will work! DH is planning on me going back to work when the girls hit schoolage to help with the finances, but if I have to do that, then no HS! I'm really struggling to trust God. PLUS, will it cost a lot of $$ to HS? Are the textbooks expensive?

Sorry this is so rambly. I'm having a lot of big feelings about this today.

Kim

The Tickle Momster
05-19-2007, 07:08 AM
To get answers about the NCLB stuff, check your state website under school districts. It should be there somewhere. If you can't find it, call you school district office. This is public info and they should give it out, no problem. One of our pharmacies sells books that list all the schools and their test scores and other info. You might ask if this is available in your state.

As for cost of hsing, it really depends on what you decide to do. If you like the Charlotte Mason method, www.amblesideonline.org is free. Many resources available online and at the library. If you are more curriculum driven, you can spend as little or as much as you need. We use My Father's World (www.mfwbooks.com) . I feel it is very reasonably priced, especially since you use it for all children and except for K & 1, there are not many consumables.

You have time to figure this all out. Keep praying and talking. Since you may have to return to work, I would suggest the book by Lisa Welchel found here http://www.amazon.com/So-Youre-Thinking-About-Homeschooling/dp/1590520858/ref=pd_sim_b_4/104-4769655-9350309?ie=UTF8&qid=1179583615&sr=1-1

This book details how 15 families homeschool. All different! Some single moms, some both parents working. No parenting advice included.

Kids need me. I'll check back later.

mamato2kids
05-19-2007, 08:46 AM
I would say to call you State's Board of Education. They should provide you the link to THEIR non-biased rating of schools...or be able to provide you info on that particular school or district that is also Non-biased. They should also have a home-school liaison through the board of education!

I think for us the initial cost was higher.....just getting long term supplies...but you can make many math manipulatives...if you just start searching on line you can find people that have posted examples....we make alot of our stuff...I just made my two year old a shape and color board and laminated it for her.....and now we have instant lesson!

We do buy some curriculum....it is usually cheaper to buy it by year...if you go with workboooks....you just have to fish around....if you have a homeschool convention coming up...I would invest the time and money to go....one you get alot of info and speakeers come and give you handy advice...plus you can thumb through different curriculum!

As far as the work thing goes....homeschooling does not need to be a 8-3pm lesson time....it can be anytime...I finished my master's degree and worked full-time while homeschooling Isaac the 1st grade....dh worked a traditional day job and I worked nights....we just worked around it all!

Now dh is a SAHD but financially we need him to go back to work....at least parttime...so he is looking for work that will work around my schedule....I work swing shift to allow for kiddo time!

I hope some of this made sense and wasn't all jumbled!

Laurlor
05-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I don't know a lot about it since I homeschool, but when my BFF was moving she looked up all the schools on this website ----> http://www.greatschools.net/ . It was really interesting...DH and I started looking at the school we went to and it was :hunh. My elementary school is now ranked a 2 out of 10! Anyway, it has all the school's scores and rankings, plus some schools have parent comments. Check it out.

The Tickle Momster
05-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Cool site Laurie! Thanks for sharing.

kiloyd
05-19-2007, 11:52 AM
Homeschooling kindergarten can be done very cheaply.

ArmsOfLove
05-20-2007, 07:05 PM
we don't spend a lot of money (couple hundred a year :shrug) on homeschooling. And we're homeschooling 3 children with several curriculums. You *can* do it for free with printables, do it yourself, and a library :tu If you don't do a curriculum in a box you have a lot of options. K is not a huge investment :)

WI Mama05
05-21-2007, 06:26 AM
I did a lot more research over the weekend and find more and more that HS is what I'm feeling led to do. It is early still and I have time to figure it all out, but I verge on Type A personaility and really like to get going on things and be detailed about it. I also think I'm very goal oriented and need to "see" what kind of strides we will be making, so is there a way to have guidlines for what to teach without going overboard on the structure/worksheets type thing? I think I'll end up being eclectic in my styles, but need that "textbook" to go by to keep me going, KWIM?