PDA

View Full Version : Should I homeschool...every day??

booboo
05-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Mondays are the worst in my house with homeschoooling. After a crazy weekend, soccer, church, etc the girls are like little bears on Monday mornings. Today my dh had to come home from work again! :mad

Okay they have special needs and we're in the process of finding out maybe more for Piglet. But even Rabbit, my aspie girl who loves a schedule, just can't get down to doing school come Monday morning. They know the schedule, they know what's going on. I even tell them/remind them when we're studying a new continent (Galloping the Globe).

Should I do a little school with them on the weekends? Would that help the Monday crazies? :shrug Does anyone else hs on the weekends?

Teribear
05-14-2007, 03:54 PM
We don't school on Mondays...we DO occasionally school on Saturday. If your state cares, all they care about is that you get in X days a year. In theory I could homeschool 7 days a week for 6 months and not school at all the other 185 days of the year. Do what works. That's the beauty of being a homeschooler.

booboo
05-14-2007, 03:56 PM
NJ is very flexible. I don't even tally what days we do it. Just use my hs planner. Maybe I will consider this idea! :think

Rabbit
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
I've been pondering that question, because while Simon is still little, it's nice to have Josh on hand to entertain him while Samantha is doing something he can't, or to catch a little runner who is coated in paint or something. We're just doing fun crafts, since Samantha is very very "pre" school, at only 2, but it does seem that evenings and weekends are going to be more productive times than weekday mornings, at least for stuff happening at the house.

One of the reasones to homeschool is its very flexibility, though, right? There aren't really any rules about what you "have" to do or when you have to do it. None of us particularly feel like working until after we've had a nap. No morning birds here.

illinoismommy
05-14-2007, 04:52 PM
I was going to suggest not homeschooling on Mondays too ... take a day to get back into the routine... maybe just do an hour :)

Mamatoto
05-14-2007, 04:55 PM
The other thing you can do is try to protect Sundays as a rest day for everyone...not just for the kiddos but for you! It helps my Mondays sooooooo much. :phew

Heather Micaela
05-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Maybe monday you could have the routine in place but less to do w/in that time (like 4 math problems instead of 8 or a shorter book to read, etc) so that you have more time to get focus back w/o feeeling behind.

CelticJourney
05-14-2007, 07:29 PM
If daddy being there helps, then by all means school on Saturdays and in the evenings - whatever it takes to get it done.

booboo
05-15-2007, 04:03 PM
:think Or maybe we should start the week with the less stressful subjects? That could make the transition easier. :shrug :think

Heather Micaela
05-16-2007, 12:39 AM
:think Or maybe we should start the week with the less stressful subjects? That could make the transition easier. :shrug :think

:think
Seems like a good idea. :) I'd give in a try in addition to not expecting as much to get done.

mamato2kids
05-16-2007, 05:56 PM
we sort of play it by ear...if it is a particularily bad day...then we just don't school that day! However....I also live in a liberal hs day and don't have to talley!