PDA

View Full Version : Question about Teach Your Child to Read with Children's books

Booklover
05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I Interlibrary Loaned this, and I've been reading through it trying to decide if I want to buy a copy. I've got a couple of questions though:

1) Does your child just pick up the words in the book by having it read to them at first?

2) Most of the books on the Preprimer 1 list I've looked at so far, I don't have and neither does my library. I can get them from another library, but that makes it hard to add to the child's basket for any length of time since the max time I can have it for is 4 weeks. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

gentle_answer
05-09-2007, 12:15 PM
We did this for about 2 1/2 weeks about 2 months ago, so I don't have much experience.
1) My DS learned the words he could not sound out by me telling him what they were. I didn't know how else to do it. :shrug I didn't think the book was very clear on this point.

2) After reading the book for a few days he had it memorized. There was no reading going on. 4 weeks is plenty of time to have a book.

There were a lot of good reccommendations about this book on this board, so that is why we tried it. My DS is very perfectionistic and didn't like constantly guessing at words so it didn't work for us. He begged to go back to our other book (The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading).