PDA

View Full Version : MFWK--What do you do with the ants and butterflies?

Carlashelle
05-08-2007, 09:23 PM
I just thought we would release them somewhere but not sure? I can see the butterflies not being a problem but what about the ants?

The Tickle Momster
05-08-2007, 09:26 PM
There was a discussion about this recently on the MFWfamilies list. The ants will most likely die after about 2 weeks. It is not recommended that you release them since they are most likely not compatible with your region. Sounds kind of icky, but you either have to kill them or let them die.

Not sure about the butterflies.

Teribear
05-08-2007, 09:28 PM
What kind of butterflies? Monarchs migrate so you should definitely release them. Other butterflies will generally be able to find the food sources they need if released. I'm with the PP on not releasing the ants.

Carlashelle
05-09-2007, 07:29 AM
Michelle, I think I was reading the same thing as you which is why I asked. I really don't want to care for them and then kill them (the ants). Yes, I squish the ones in the house no problem, but ones we've studied and fed? That makes me sad and I know ds won't like it.

Winkie
05-09-2007, 08:05 PM
We did MFW K last year. We released the butterflies (Painted Ladies) - the company they come from gives you the info on how warm it should be outside to do so. The ants started to die off on their own after a couple weeks & the living ones ate them. So in the end we had only a few dead bodies in the anthill. By that time the fascination had worn off for my boys anyway.

steffanie3
05-11-2007, 09:17 AM
Could I get a link to what you are talking about? :)

Winkie
05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
For MFW K look here: www.mfwbooks.com

The anthill & butterfly garden come with the MFW deluxe package, or here is the company:
the ants: http://insectlore.stores.yahoo.net/anlivanthab.html
butterflies: http://insectlore.stores.yahoo.net/butgarwitcer.html

HTH! :)

steffanie3
05-15-2007, 02:45 PM

allisonintx
05-15-2007, 03:57 PM
I'd pour grits into the ant farm and kill them off, but then all of North Texas is inhabited by ants. They are a bane.