PDA

View Full Version : Core Knowledge lesson plans

Cheyenne
05-06-2007, 03:00 PM
Has anyone seen these and or used these? What do you think? :)

booboo
05-09-2007, 04:08 AM
I haven't, but you can try http://www.homeschoolreviews.com and see if it's there.

I just felt bad nobody posted back to answer your question yet! :whisper :hug

Strumbelina
05-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Well out of curiosity, I looked at these and looked at the second grade one and frankly, I was not impressed. I could not possibly read through all of it, cause it started giving me a headache. It is very, very...schoolish. The teacher stands up and tells the kids to write the word "Constitution" on their paper and then draw Independence Hall on another paper, etc, etc. All very teacher directed with overheads, etc. Not only are we not set up for that at my house, but I realize that at this age there is not a LOT of history my kiddos are going to remember. I need to make it interesting whatever we do study. Interesting and AGE appropriate.
I suppose on one hand one could say it looks quite comprehensive and challenging and that could really excite some people...
FTR, I like the Core Knowledge books as a guide and an idea of what is going on in the Public School sector. The lesson plans have me going... :crazy

Cheyenne
05-09-2007, 07:55 AM
Well, I can totally see why they had you going :crazy ! :yes I thought they were neat in that they had some ideas for lessons. I guess I was reading them with the idea of tweaking them for my use and not using them as is. I really would rather just have the Core Knowledge books, but I don't have them. :no I hope to get them and use them as a fun spine to work from in the near future. I definitely am trying to avoid the schoolish approach. I tried one of them with my dd on Monday, but as I said, I used it as an idea and then changed it to work for her and she seemed to enjoy it, so I guess I was successful. I agree that using them as is would be exhausting. :yes

jenny_islander
05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
It's a shame about the lesson plans because the CK books themselves have some wonderful stories. The insanity of racism was encapsulated neatly in a biography of a man I'd never even heard of! Did you know that the man who pioneered storage of typed blood was African American? Or that he spent a lot of his career trying to convince the authorities that having clean, usable, properly typed blood available for soldiers and accident victims was more important than separating the blood that came from whites and non-whites? Can you imagine anybody balking at getting or assisting in a blood transfusion because the donor and recipient might be two different races? But it was government policy back then! And this story was laid out very clearly and understandably for, IIRC, second-graders. I'm gearing up to do Charlotte Mason with my kids, but if I have the dough, I'm going to have the CK books on hand as well.

Cheyenne
05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
I really wish I had the books earlier. :yes