PDA

View Full Version : SOTW/MOH odd question

ArmsOfLove
05-06-2007, 08:50 AM
I had sort of decided to switch to MOH for the next time through but I'm getting ready to do something intense and before I add something new I wanted to consider how MOH will fit into what I'm doing.

Basically I'm dividing history into it's four years and then categorizing all of my resources, curriculum and books so that they are cross referenced and I can pull together easy unit studies for everything of interest to us (or fill in info for new areas of interest). I'm concerned because MOH may not fit with this idea and as I haven't seen it personally I wanted to get some thoughts from those currently or who have used it. I'm fine with SOTW being supplemental instead of the driving force, but don't want something too textbooky to throw off the unit study flow.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

illinoismommy
05-06-2007, 02:43 PM
what is moh?

Cheyenne
05-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I think it is Mystery of History.

joandsarah77
05-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Mystery Of History.

ShangriLewis
05-06-2007, 03:20 PM
I've used SOTW and I've read through MOH. I can't really decided which I like better. I like that SOTW can be more child lead, but I like that MOH is more Christ centered. I just don't have the extra time for MOH right now. I do think MOH could fit in your plan, but I don't know if they are finished with all four years. Does that help any? Diana Waring has some interesting resources as well...not to add any more to your decisions ;)

I think your idea is excellent though!

Singingmom
05-06-2007, 08:18 PM
MOH is not textbooky. It would be an excellent resource. Any specific questions could I answer?

Here's another resource we really like...http://www.amazon.com/Guideposts-Journey-Through-Bible/dp/156476480X/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8115657-0332713?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1178507810&sr=8-1

Savmom
05-07-2007, 11:07 AM
We are doing WinterPromise and MOH 1 is the spine for Ancients (what we're doing this year) & MOH 2 is the spine Middle Ages (doing next year). I bought SOTW and for us it was not a good fit and it did not focus on Christ/Bible the way I had anticipated it would. That is not a bad thing, per se, but I need all the help I can get in that area, IYKWIM. Anyway, MOH is cool in that each week has several diffferent activities you can choose from, read alouds (taken from the list I got from the yahoo group which is our favorite part of MOH), map work, timeline work, bible reading, AND the info presented in each lesson is short, informative, interesting and if something REALLY grabs our attention I can elaborate using library books, activity books, videos, websites, etc. DS is 13 and hated history until we started MOH. Now he has more knowledge about the bible & Ancient History than I ever thought he would and actually asks when we are doing MOH each day (we do the 4-day schedule). Even dd, who is only 4.5 is retaining information and looks forward to the reading, even though some of it is over her head (she LOVES the Family Time Bible we read from every day).

If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to try and answer them.

Cindy

SueQ
05-08-2007, 02:38 PM
I PMed you Crystal. :)