PDA

View Full Version : *Bad* Cosleeping Habits?!

TraceMama
05-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Ds is just about 7 months old and for the last week or so it seems he's been nursing non-stop throughout the night. :yawn I realize that he's teething and that this is a big developmental time, but I'm starting to wonder if I've just created bad habits.....like, he needs to suck to go back to sleep; everytime he cries, I offer him the breast (and have been since he was itty-bitty and thus have created the need to suck); he doesn't want to sleep in his co-sleeper at night by himself at all anymore; the list goes on.

So, I guess I'm here seeking reassurance, since this is my first experience with a co-sleeping baby. Is this normal? Will he grow out of this phase by himself or do I need to start implementing some things suggested in the Pantley book?

On the flip side, I'm LOVING having him in bed next to me all night long! :)

MarynMunchkins
05-04-2007, 05:33 AM
No, it's normal and fine. :)

Katydid
05-04-2007, 05:52 AM
I agree.... if you are both getting sleep, the arrangement is fine! :yes

TraceMama
05-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you! Although....it does seem like I'm waking more often than I'd like to flip him over my belly from one side to the other.....So, I guess that means that he IS eating, since an empty breast doesn't do it for him :smile

heartofjoy
05-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Sounds very normal for a 7 month old. :hug :heart

Ima LeShalosh
05-04-2007, 03:47 PM
Sounds like both my boys :) I say if it is right for both of you...then it IS right! Toss out the books...even the AP books! No book can tell you what is right and normal for you and your babe! And ignore any comments from friends and family...they may mean well, but they are all just opinions of what you "should" be doing. You will get your little one into his own bed one day and if you enjoy it and there is no contention in your marriage over it, then I say let him stay in your bed next to momma as long as possible :hug

herbalwriter
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM
You know, I needed to read this thread! Thank you all. I needed the reassurance about all-night nursing and needing my presence and my breast to sleep, too...but my boy is 33 months! :shifty Sometimes, it's just good to be reminded that everyone's an individual and meeting needs is not creating habits. :yes

GrowingInGrace
05-07-2007, 11:52 AM
I promise, it won't be like that forever. There come a day when you wake up and realize he hardly nursed at all, or if he did, you hardly noticed.

Naked Camper
05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
It's amazing how long that stage feels when your in the thick of it, but it's over in a blink of the eye. DS still nurses at night (16 mo. old), but he's now starting the night in his bed and coming to our bed later in the night. I remember having very similar thoughts at that stage and I think even a post or two of the same topic. Hang in there momma....it will get better and just as you get thigs worked out perfect, your DC will change and you'll have to figure things out all over again. :hug

deena
05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
I remember having those exact thoughts. Don't be alamed. That's how it's supposed to work.

TraceMama
05-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Thank you! There have actually been a few nights since OP when I feel like he's only nursed a few times!

AmyDoll
05-09-2007, 04:23 PM
(and have been since he was itty-bitty and thus have created the need to suck

:shifty I promise that *you* didn't create this need. God did & it's good. :) Babies are designed to be comforted by their mothers at the breast :heart It's an amazing and beautiful and perfect design. It's wonderful.

GrowingInGrace
05-17-2007, 05:58 AM

:shifty I promise that *you* didn't create this need. God did & it's good. :)

That's a beautiful statement. :heart

deena
05-17-2007, 08:26 AM
yeah, that's beautiful.

NoahsMommy0912
05-19-2007, 10:02 AM

:shifty I promise that *you* didn't create this need. God did & it's good. :)

That's a beautiful statement. :heart

Yes, it is :yes :heart

ThirstyTurtle
06-04-2007, 06:37 PM
:phew I needed to read this thread. I was wondering the same thing since my DS has started waking up and nursing constantly the rest of the night for the past few weeks. I've been worried that I'm creating a bad habit, but I'm fine with it. We both fall back to sleep quickly (even with waking up every 2 or 3 hours to switch side), and I would have no idea how to get him back to sleep anyway without him becoming fully awake.

WI Mama05
06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I found for both of my girls around 7 months was when they threw our "we're sleeping great" arrangement up into the air and headed for the breast all night long. Totally normal for them. There is so much they work out at night and when you add teething to all the developmental things they will face for the next year, well, that leads to a lot of comfort nursing and what better time than at night when you both have all the time in the world :heart. (just watch out for bad latches *youch!*)

herbalwriter
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I found for both of my girls around 7 months was when they threw our "we're sleeping great" arrangement up into the air and headed for the breast all night long.

:yes Just like that in this house, too.

TraceMama
06-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Still like that here, but it's starting to wear a bit thin and dh is wondering when he'll be able to snuggle just me again ;) .....is there a point when baby starts sleeping longer spurts on his own? :shrug I've had to go to bed at the same time as him the last few nights just to get him to settle and to sleep.

deena
06-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I've found that as long as they're still breastfed, my kids used me to get to sleep. :shifty But as they get older, their dependence on you to stay asleep grew less and less - after that relapse thing we were just talking about.

But even though I've breastfed up to 4 1/2 years, it's still such a brief period in our lives. :timeflies

herbalwriter
06-10-2007, 06:32 PM
But even though I've breastfed up to 4 1/2 years, it's still such a brief period in our lives. :timeflies

:yes Thanks for that reminder.

klpmommy
06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
E was just like that & it was hardest on dh for us. But I nightweaned her (w/o cio) at 18 m/o with very little problem. But she still needed me at night to sleep along with her binkie (paci). She got less needy as she approached three & now at 3.5 most nights I go in once to fix something briefly & that is it. Many nights I don't go in at all, then some nights are like last night where it seems like she needs me all night. But I can definately look back at those months of nighttime nursing & say that while it felt like forever while in the trenches it really is short when looking back. :hug It seems like three years is forever, but really it did get better after she nightweaned, but it didn't fix it all the way, it just solved some of her mommy radar.

deena
06-10-2007, 08:28 PM
it just solved some of her mommy radar.

:giggle That's a good one! They do have mommy radars in their sleep.

MtnMama
06-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Sometimes, it's just good to be reminded that everyone's an individual and meeting needs is not creating habits. :yes

Thank YOU for saying that! What a nice way of putting it: meeting needs is not creating habits. I :heart it! That's :cool!

MtnMama
06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
Although....it does seem like I'm waking more often than I'd like to flip him over my belly from one side to the other.....

Have you tried just leaning over to give him the other side? I had the suggestion so many months ago, or I wouldn't have thought of it. I used to flip DD over my belly and she's always been a big baby and one night I threw my back out doing it :blush and then I learned how to lean over while I'm nursing on my side to offer the other breast. It also helps if your DC is a twiddler. They can't twiddle with a nipple that's not exposed!!

herbalwriter
06-11-2007, 05:08 PM
Sometimes, it's just good to be reminded that everyone's an individual and meeting needs is not creating habits. :yes

Thank YOU for saying that! What a nice way of putting it: meeting needs is not creating habits. I :heart it! That's :cool!

:mrgreen Thanks! :kiss