PDA

View Full Version : How much does HSing cost you?

malakoa
05-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Maybe I went overboard because my dad said he'd cover it, but we spent about $100!! this month on homeschool stuff. Of course some of it we'll use beyond this month, but still that's pretty steep.

I know it's cheaper than preschool though.

And I"m using www.hubbardscupboard.com (http://www.hubbardscupboard.com)

and the library

illinoismommy
05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
so far its cost me some money on books about different homeschool styles that I cant get at the library.... I just bought "For The Children's Sake" and "The Latin Centered Curriculum" .... not sure if I will like them or not, but the library doesn't offer them at all so I had to risk it since I thought they might help me :shrug

:popcorn

booboo
05-03-2007, 11:42 AM
I think ours is gonna run around $300 total for both. That doesn't include the binders we'll need for our newest unit study. (those will be around $15 each, they gotta be big! :jawdrop ) That's really not so bad, considering other programs cost so much more.

illinoismommy
05-03-2007, 11:54 AM
By the way, David was born 2 days after "small" :mrgreen

joandsarah77
05-03-2007, 03:15 PM
last year I am guessing I spent about $700 but a lot of that was non consumables like books and math manips etc. Stuff I will re-use.
This year for us is only 1/4 gone (school runs jan-Dec over here) So far I guess I have spent about $300.

RubySlippers
05-03-2007, 04:05 PM
We usually run about $500.

AdrienneQW
05-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I have spent quite a bit, but that was by desire and design rather than by necessity. I'm blessed to have a great deal of latitude in spending because my DH agreed to let me use what was set aside in our family budget for private school as my homeschooling budget - woohoo! :rockon LOL I'll spend nowhere near that amount, but it gives me a lot of freedom.

These are my expenditures thus far:

Homeschooling books for me (complete John Holt, Moores, Clarksons, Gatto, TWTM, Charlotte Mason, plus tons of others - about 35 books in all, most purchased used for $2-4)

Quality art supplies. Lots of art supplies. :O

Curriculum:
- BFIAR
- FIAR
- Phonics Pathways
- Teach Your Child to Read in 100 EZ Lessons
- Handwriting Without Tears (pre-K and K)
- My Father's World (K)
- Math-U-See (Primer and Alpha)

Memberships to three HS organizations

Zoo membership and two Museum memberships (now counting these as HS expenses, although we had memberships prior to beginning our HS journey)

Costs for three HS conferences, two local (registration) and one upstate (registration plus travel costs)

Karate and swimming lessons (now considered P.E.)

I have a kindergartener and a two-year-old, so I could absolutely home educate for a fraction of what I've spent thus far. With a significant budget, I'm having a lot of fun trying to be judicious and prudent in my spending choices.

illinoismommy
05-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Homeschooling books for me (complete John Holt, Moores, Clarksons, Gatto, TWTM, Charlotte Mason, plus tons of others - about 35 books in all, most purchased used for $2-4)

Tell me about this trick, how I can find these for that price :mrgreen

SilverMoon
05-03-2007, 06:41 PM
For curriculum we usually spend about $500 per year. This year my uncle gave us a gigantic box of school supplies as well as individually stocked back packs for each of the kids. He loves to shop office supply sales, he said. That took care of all but 2 notebooks per child.

AdrienneQW
05-03-2007, 07:11 PM

Tell me about this trick, how I can find these for that price

Half.com - I do a little research to see which sellers have the most titles I'm seeking in stock, then I buy in bulk (saves on shipping). I'm stalking for Ruth Beechick's writings at the moment. :tu I've paid full price for a few titles, but I'd say 80-90% of the time I can find what I want used on Half.com if I'm willing to stalk for a few weeks.