PDA

View Full Version : What is everyone ordering/doing for next year?

Quietspirit
05-03-2007, 05:28 AM
I've got most of my 12 year old's curriculum set for next year. He will be *loosely* a 7th grader with some skills above and some below. For arbitrary purposes, we'll call him a 7th grader ;). This is what I'm planning for him:

Story of the World 3 (purchased)
Igniting Your Writing (purchased)
Apologia Science (either 7th grade basic science or Exploring Creation series) still deciding
Winston Grammar (still to be purchased)
Wordly Wise (still to be purchased)
Christian Light Education Reading 6th grade (purchased)
Rosetta Stone German (we have this already and will be continuing it for a 2nd year)
Sequential Spelling (love this..purchased)
Saxon Math 7/6 or Abeka Math 7 (not sure yet...still deciding)
Typing
Social Skills Activities for Special Children (this is an awesome book that we are making our way through this year and next. I highly reccomend it for autistic children. The first 1/4 of the book relates to classroom skills so I just skipped that part. But the rest of the book is very pertinent to homeschooled children. I bought it used for $6. It's about 400 pages!)

We take Art at co-op along with a Historical Crafts class. He may take music at co-op as well. We also do the Pudewa writing class at co-op and will continue that next year.

I want to buy a few resources for me. One is callled "Story Starters" by Karen Andreola. We use story starters a lot in writing but I am having to make them up. Her book has the story starters already there! ;)

As for my other 2 school age children: My husband is still trying to decide how he feels about homeschooling them. We are going to trial it this summer and if it works well, then we'll homeschool everyone beginning in the Fall. :) :)

My 3 year old is doing Montessori activities with me at home. I also used Jodi's (mamatoto) awesome curriculum with him as well. It is perfect for our needs.

booboo
05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
I'm continuing to do unit studies with my dc. We're doing Galloping the Globe this year and in August, we'll start up with Cantering the Country. I also found a book about crafts across the US (in Rainbow Resource) which goes alphabetically like CTC, so it'll fit perfectly! :tu This unit study includes history, science, language arts, geography (obviously!) and Bible but we'll use something different for that part.

Bible: One Year Devotional for Kids - I like to make our Bible lessons very relaxed, cuddle time and I pick out a memory verse for the week. :yes

Rabbit: Spelling: continuing Christian Liberty Grade 2 (we go at a slower pace in it, she'll be in grade 3 and we'll just keep using that til we're done, then start grade 3 with that)

Modern Curriculum Press Phonics and math for both

Piglet: Christian Liberty spelling grade 1 :timeflies

Some music program about different instruments. Forget the names but it puts the instruments in certain categories, which I like and looks user friendly for someone who doesn't know a lot about music. And there's nothing for kids on the history of Rock music that I could find! :mrgreen

Carol Gray's Social Skills Stories (just got this) - very simple, easy to understand. We're happy with it so far. :bfly

Booklover
05-03-2007, 11:23 AM
I was looking at geography programs (Winter Promise, mostly), but the costs made me :jawdrop. So I asked the boys, and they want to do ancient history again. SO I think I'm going to get Galloping the Globe and do more concentrated geography with the history cycle this time. So my plan is:

SOTW 1 (maybe using Biblioplan)
Apologia Zoology 2 in fall, and undecided in the spring for science
Galloping the Globe

Oldest will do:
Probably Singapore 5 A&B
Winston Grammar or Easy Grammar
Wordsmith Apprentice (we dropped it this year, and may pick it back up)
Sequential Spelling (maybe, we just started it).

2nd ds:
Continue to convince him to want to learn to read :giggle
Informal math with games etc. I'm thinking about Rightstart, also, but haven't decided.

DD:
Will probably learn to read while I'm trying to convince ds #2. :giggle

So far, that's my plan.

illinoismommy
05-03-2007, 11:38 AM
My 3 year old is doing Montessori activities with me at home. I also used Jodi's (mamatoto) awesome curriculum with him as well. It is perfect for our needs.

Can you tell me what sorts of things are in that book?

We are also a montessori preschool home.... dishes on the lowest shelf so he can help me put them away, etc. :mrgreen

Strumbelina
05-03-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow, I love threads like this. Unfortunately, mine seems all mumble-jumbles right now.....I may need to start another thread to get help figuring it out, but here is an outline of my current thoughts.....

DS (7--2nd grade)

Spell to Write and Read (already using successfully :mrgreen)
Singapore Math (already using successfully :mrgreen)
Complete book of Science and Handbook of Nature Study for our "science" (this will be new)
First Language Lessons for the Well Trained Mind (this will be new)
A history Program designed by me that will include the following:
Exploring American History, American Pioneers and Patriots, Beautiful Feet Early American History Literature pack, and whatever other books we decide to throw in there to flesh out our American History experience.
Spanish and Art I farm out to a local Christian school with electives for HSers.
Bible: CBS or just study at home using Awanas verses as a guide.
Piano Lessons (this is another continuation)
PE will be whatever we do at the YMCA and our extracurricular sports.
Geography: using state flad sticker and cards for MFW we will focus on the states
Artist and Composer study will be exposure via various websites and library books/videos and of course music.

DD (5--kindergarden)

100 Easy Lessons
writing excersises
gentle math--I will use Singapore workbooks if she would like
Lots of reading that she can do with DS and me as we read our books
nature study and science if she desires to participate with us
Bible: Awanas verses based along with our regular readings--nothing new to add
Everything else is the same as DS its just that I won't expect or anticipate as much participation from her in any given area.

So it seems like a lot, but really I don't think it is in reality. That is what I need to figure out...the scheduling of it all.

Marsha
05-03-2007, 01:08 PM
My Father's World Kindergarten. I think it includes everything, and I hope so, because my head spins reading some of y'all's lists!

Punkie
05-03-2007, 01:16 PM
We're doing

Ambleside Year 1
MEP Math
Teach a Child to Read Using Children's Books (the methods from this)
Leading Little Ones to God

mamahammer
05-03-2007, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure we're going with

MFW-K
Teach a Child to Read Using Children's Books

Jilly
05-03-2007, 01:57 PM
We are doing the MFW 2nd & 3rd grade program (history, science, bible, art & music included in this) for both the boys

signapore math (we LOVE this) for both the boys

explode the code - ds2

primary language lessons - ds1

spelling for sound and structure - ds1

Jilly

musicmommy
05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I'm so excited to get our stuff ordered!!!!!! But it's not going to happen for another month or so.

For preschool - not completely sure, just fun stuff
For K -
MFWK
A Reason for Handwriting
Rod and Staff Math

For 2nd -
MFW Adventures
A Reason for handwriting
Rod and Staff Language Arts
Spelling by Sound and Structure
Rod and Staff Math

Marsha
05-03-2007, 08:09 PM
so now I'm worried. All you MFWers have extra curriculums in there? Does it not contain everything, will I need to supplement or anything? (I'm the type of person who got overwhelmed at the sheer number of choices of cloth diapers and disposable diapered both my children, just so you know this feels overwhelming to me)

musicmommy
05-03-2007, 10:27 PM
As far as I know, MFW K and 1 are both considered complete. We just really want to do Rod and Staff math so we're going to start with it. At the rest of the levels, you need to add on math and language arts. They recommend Singapore math and Primary or intermediate language lessons.

Winkie
05-04-2007, 01:15 AM
so now I'm worried. All you MFWers have extra curriculums in there? Does it not contain everything, will I need to supplement or anything? (I'm the type of person who got overwhelmed at the sheer number of choices of cloth diapers and disposable diapered both my children, just so you know this feels overwhelming to me)
Oh no, MFW K and 1st grade include everything you need. From 2nd grade on up, you need to add language arts & math. (They have their own recommendations, but you are free to use whatever programs work for your family.)

erinee
05-04-2007, 03:25 AM
I'm thinking of getting the Accelerated Achievement program, since it would be all I would need for both kids all the way through. But I don't know. I'll either do that or I'll get the math and LA materials from K12 and use AO and other things for history, science, music, and art.

Mamatoto
05-04-2007, 04:11 AM
Next year we will be doing a very relaxed first grade with dd and Waldorf Kindy with ds.

We're using:

Form Drawing by Niederhauser
Path of Discovery 1 by Eric Fairman
The Wynstones Seasonal books
A Child's Seasonal Treasury
Brain Gym...you know, I'm going to copy my recent blog entry

Here is my plans for age six...perhaps a combination of Kindy/First Grade? I don't know, this is just the Peaceful Stars Outdoor Homeschool Curriculum Plan!

Form Drawing and Movement with ribbon sticks

Baking

Watercolor Painting

Beginning Sewing and Knitting

Spanish (Waldorf CD)

Brain Gym Movement Activities

Balance Beam and Trampoline Work

Beginning Cooking

Beginning Rabbit Care

Therapy Dog visits and Physical Therapy

Checkers

Chutes and Ladders

Nature Mazes

Maps (something dd is really into naturally, more unschooling than Waldorf obviously)

mamahammer
05-04-2007, 06:30 AM

Thanks for asking! I was wondering the same thing :O

Marsha
05-04-2007, 07:49 AM
so I don't have to worry for a year or so, right? Whew! Now I'm obsessing over what to get in 2nd grade. why buy a package if you have to supplement two of the three R's? I'll probably switch by then, i guess.

hsgbdmama
05-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I think I'm going to get back to FIAR (and also do some things from vol 4 as well) for ds1 for fall (his attitude for school this year has been :td and we need to get more structured again, as we've just been unschooling).

So here's what we're going to do for ds1:

FIAR Vol 1-4
Miquon math
Hooked on Phonics
Scripture Union devotionals for Bible
God's World News for current events

For ds2, we'll just do B4FIAR.

The only things I might need to get is the red book for Miquon and I've already renewed our subscription for GWN. Other than that, I don't need anything. :think

caringmommy
05-04-2007, 08:13 AM
For my 1st grader -

Ambleside Year 1
MEP Math Y2
I can't decide between Real Science 4 Kids and Noeo Science. He asked to do Chemistry so I'm looking at both.
Drawing with Children by Mona Brookes
Maybe - Italics by Penny Gardner
Bible - I think we're going to just read selected stories

At least that's my tentative plan right now. :)

Winkie
05-04-2007, 10:25 AM
so I don't have to worry for a year or so, right? Whew! Now I'm obsessing over what to get in 2nd grade. why buy a package if you have to supplement two of the three R's? I'll probably switch by then, i guess.
I don't know if you'll find an all-inclusive package out there. :shrug Maybe someone includes LA, but Math seems to be such an individual thing that needs to be tailored to your child's learning style. With MFW a lot of LA is included in the main program and science is integrated through 6th grade.

Looks like with Winter Promise you have to add LA, math, & science. And a Sonlight core is just history, readers, & read-alouds. You have to get Core Plus to add Bible, LA, science, electives or get Core Ultra to add math & handwriting. http://www.sonlight.com/by-level.html That's just to compare similar literature-based curricula, I don't know much about other types out there.

Remember, you're just starting out - take it one year at a time. You don't have to have the road mapped out from K to high school now & even if you did, your dc would probably take a detour somewhere along the way anyway! :giggle

OnlyBelieve
05-06-2007, 09:49 PM
We just finished MFW (Basic) Kindergarten.
For next year (which we plan to start in the Summer) we are going to be doing MFW (Deluxe) 1st grade. We are adding Singapore math only because ds LOOOOOOOVES math..... For those interested in MFW, the first grade comes with Math. Then I would like to add on some extra science because that is what he is interested in. I MIGHT get some other readers for him, or I might just use whatever is available at the library.
Then we will do lots of other things as we feel like it.

Dd will be three and I will be getting her some work books. I think I saw some on Timberdoodle. This is so she can pretend to do work while ds does his. She is always asking for her school work when he is doing anything. She loves to draw, so we will have lots of art supplies on hand.

The Tickle Momster
05-07-2007, 07:04 AM
We'll be starting MFW1 in the fall. That's all I have to order, since I have MFWK already. Not sure if we'll start ds in K this fall or not. Will depend on his readiness.

Might order Ray's or Singapore for math supplement.

Leslie
05-07-2007, 05:03 PM
We'll be continuing with Ambleside Online next year. One son will be doing Year 5, another son will be doing the lighter version of Year 8, and my senior and I will be writing his own curriculum for his last year so he can finally get to some things he's wanted to spend more time with but never had time for - Latin is one of the major things, math review, and he has a list of books he wants to read. He has most of the credits he needs.

My fifth grader will be doing Ray's Practical Arithmetic, and the eighth grader will be doing VideoText Algebra and he and his brother and a friend will be working on Apologia Chemistry together.

Heather Micaela
05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Phonics - Explode the Code
Math - :shrug nout sure - Ds needs something hands on
History - Story of the World
Science - whatever we decide to discover :giggle

In addition I have decided to spend more time doing "whatever" and tying it into HS by having ds draw a picture and then "tell me a story" about it.

We also have lots of educational toys and games

Still trying to figure out how to emphasise reading to him

Piper2
05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
I thought I had everything figured out already, but now I'm up in the air about most of it. :O I would LOVE to be more of an unschooler or at least unit study type of teacher, but everytime I try, I just get overwhelmed and/or bogged down and then I feel guilty that I'm not teaching him enough. And contrary to conventional wisdom, my child with Asperger Syndrome actually prefers workbooks in most subjects -- I'm discovering that instead of it helping him understand lessons, too many manipulatives and activities actually distract him from the lesson at hand. :think

So I'm currently giving him the diagnostic tests for LIFEPAC ( :duck from some of you, I know :O) to see where he would fit in their curriculum. I'm thinking about using that sort of as a "base" and then add on any extra activities we can or want to. But also, with all the traveling we're going to be doing in the next year (definite trips in October (possibly 2), November (possibly 2), January, February and April (possibly 2), and possibly one or two others)...I've already discovered this spring that it's really hard to try to keep up a teaching schedule while getting ready and recovering from long trips. If he has something he can work on mostly unassisted and can take in the van, that would be ideal, at least until we get through this next year and figure out exactly where we want to always go every year (for piping and drumming competitions, both solo and band) and then plan our school schedule accordingly.

Basically, if he tests near or above grade level, I may just go with all LIFEPAC. I know he wants to do more science experiments next year, and depending on what they have in that curriculum, we may supplement with something else there. I'm still undecided about Bible curriculum...I like the topics that the 3rd grade curriculum has, but we've been using the free monthly kid's devotional magazine for our Bible time, which corresponds with his Sunday School lessons, so we may just stick with that.

It looks like I'm going to be going to the big homeschool conference this August alone, or at least without DH and Kevin. So I'll be able to take my time and really concentrate on looking at my options.

ArmsOfLove
05-08-2007, 07:23 PM
most of the stuff is purchased but I'll need to buy a new math book for Liam and am considering Spelling Power and the activity books for SOTW.

But we're doing:

SOTW and MOH
Math U See
Pocket History books for Native Americans and the Ancients (but I want to get more)
Alpha Phonics
Considering God's Creation (we're doing a coop for this)
Map skill workbooks
Problem solving workbooks (logic skills)
Simply Grammar
Nature journals
the Holling chapter books

I've also picked up lots of games for phonics as well as flash cards for things.

Of course, we do a lot of our schooling during the summer because it's so stinking hot here :shifty

heartofjoy
05-08-2007, 08:17 PM
For dd(3rd) and ds(1st):

Sonlight Core 1 - World History, includes Bible, History, maps, timeline, literature to read aloud

Horizon's Math and MUS with maybe a little Miquon thrown in

Art study ala Charlotte Mason - not sure which artists yet

Language Arts : I may use Sonlight's new LA program. If I don't then we will continue using our workbooks: Explode the Code, Handwriting Without Tears, Sequetial Spelling (dd), and Sonlight readers at their level

Science: either Sonlight Science 1 or Exploring Creation with Astronomy

This summer we are finishing up Beautiful Feet's American History books, doing math, LA, and Our 24 Family Ways. It's stinking hot here too!

I'll be making a purchase around Aug/Sept

Booklover
05-09-2007, 05:32 AM
I've also picked up lots of games for phonics as well as flash cards for things.

What games? I'm always interested in games for my wiggly boy.

AprilBr
05-09-2007, 08:35 PM
Heart of Dakota ~ Bigger Hearts for His Glory
~Drawn Into the Heart of Reading

Singapore ~2A/2B or 2B/3A (may buy it from MFW)

Queen Homeschool ~Language Lessons
~Spelling by Copywork

Art ~How to Teach Art to Children

I think that's it...

ArmsOfLove
05-09-2007, 08:54 PM

What games? I'm always interested in games for my wiggly boy.

well at the Teaching Stuff store here in town I picked up this big packet of about 10 different games with matching for sounds (vowel, beginning, ending) and they go together like puzzle pieces, match and stack, and different things. The kids love them--very fun :) And I think it was $12-15 for the whole packet :rockon

Quietspirit
05-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Those pocket history books look so neat!!! Thanks for the idea!

live~laugh~love
05-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I want to start by saying I am having total cold feet when it comes to starting to hs next yr.

That being said, IF we do (which I hem and haw about daily :blush)---

DS6 will be in 1st grade and using MFW. This summer we'll be loosely working through ETC book 2

DS4 will be in a preschool setting 2/day week for 2 hr/day and I'd be supplementing here at home with Winter Promise. This summer, I'll be doing Little Hands to Heaven with him to help re-inforce letter names/sounds.

DD will be a year old, so she'll be hangin' with the boys, lol!

BTW, Any re-assurance would be appreciated as I'm SCARED TO DEATH!

Mamatoto
05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Can you tell me what sorts of things are in that book?

Ton answer your question...there are samples on my website...but mainly it is set up with monthly nature type themes, book suggestions, weekly outdoor projects, a movement verse, and a fairy tale story for each theme. :)

heartofjoy
05-11-2007, 09:43 PM
I want to start by saying I am having total cold feet when it comes to starting to hs next yr.

BTW, Any re-assurance would be appreciated as I'm SCARED TO DEATH!

:hug Your kids are so young! Just give them time to grow with plenty of exposure to new thoughts and ideas and some practice with the basics. Kids learn so much even when you aren't trying! Can you tell us what you are scared of? Would a comparison help?

I have a DS who will be 6 in Aug. He's also starting 1st grade. He's a totally normal little boy with no "issues." He's currently in ETC book 1. He can sound out short vowel words and he know a few sight words. He's getting better at figuring out words in context. He likes to read, but he doesn't choose to read that often. He's working a first grade math program right now and I don't anticipate him finishing it until the end of next school year. We're doing Sonlight Core 1 starting in the fall. I think MFW is a great program too! You'll do fine. Just remember to not be afraid to tweak your program if something is causing frustration! My philosophy is that if they are improving in math and reading and I throw in lots of science/history/art/music in whatever form interests us, then we are doing good. Especially before 3rd grade. :)

deena
05-11-2007, 09:55 PM
:popcorn

CelticJourney
05-12-2007, 08:20 AM
dd1: Saxon Algebra 1/2, Apolgia General Science, American History, Rosetta Stone Spanish, ASL; Literature is misc., Wordly Wise, Spelling Power, Easy Grammar
dd2: Saxon 6/5, Apologia (whatever the marine biology for elementry is called); American History; Rosetta Stone Spanish; Chronicles of Narnia, Wordly Wise; Spelling Power, Easy Grammar
ds: whatever makes him happy - right now he as learned to say 'gobble gobble' since there where turkeys at the resort in Orlando :shifty

SueQ
05-12-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't know what I am doing. :giggle

Seriously I had next year all planned out in January (I was planning on doing AO year 2) but I am not doing that anymore. I do know that I am using the books reccomended in BF Early American History and will be doing early American History my one way. I'll be doing the 3 R's as Ruth Beechick reccomends and most likely will be using LLATL as a guide for literature, Ray's Arithmetic as a guide for Math but doing my own thing in both of those, and for spelling I plan on trying to use his misspelled words to make a word list. I'll be using AO's year 2 book list for read alouds. For Science I am planning on studying astronomy next year using Jeannie Albright's science curriculum. (My oldest decided on that.) I just know that I want to be laid back, relaxed and have fun with school next year.

marathonmom
05-14-2007, 10:37 AM
All 3 together: Sonlight Core 4 History, readers, read=a-louds 4-day program
Sonlight Science 4
Art - Art in the Style of the Great Masters
Sonlight Bible 4

Hairdo and Violin: Sonlight LA 4 4-day program
Spelling Power at each of their appropriate levels

Violin: Continue with One Year Bible
Horizons Math 6
Piano lessons
Violin lessons

Hairdo: Horizons Math 4
Piano lessons
Flute lessons
continue to work on Cursive writing with A reason for Handwriting

LB: Handwriting K - A reason for Handwriting
Horizons Math K
sonlight K kind of loosely
Phonics programs that I check out of the library
Character Building for the young child
Big Truths for Little Minds (probably do this with her sisters too)

PE is loose - skiing, skating, hiking, soccer, softball. I'd like to get some kind of structured program
like Homeschool Family Fitness - we'll see