PDA

View Full Version : best wrap for a newborn++

bostonsmama
05-01-2007, 07:01 PM
whats a good, solid, reasonably priced wrap that would work for a newborn, but also work for a good 9 months or so? (9 months age wise)

BeckaBlue
05-01-2007, 07:05 PM
5 yards of thin cotton :shifty

ok...honestly...ive never had anything but that, and it was plenty comfy to me, i don't like wraps enough to spend more on them, they're more hassle than i want to deal with regularly, i find my mt is just as comfy and less hassle :shrug
but ynk....that can change :giggle

MaiMama
05-01-2007, 07:11 PM
:nak
Well, i'm a spoc (simple piece of cloth) kind of girl--or at least my wallet is. Then you can get 2. or more.
:shiftyJersey knit is great for a newborn, especially if you want to nurse in it (easier to fine-tune, imo).
Then a woven later (3 / 4 mos). you could even get a good woven if you buy a cheap stretchy one.

Maybe an Ellaroo would be good--cheaper than a German, and lighter, I think, but stronger/prettier than dollar table plaid.

bostonsmama
05-01-2007, 07:17 PM
so youre both suggesting just buying some fabric? then i have to mess with hemming the edges/etc, dont i? i have 2 pouches, 2 ring slings, 2 mei tais and so i figured i might as well add a wrap in to see what i like the best, yk? ive thought about an ellaroo but arent they kind of pricey? also, what would be the coolest for the summer?

MaiMama
05-01-2007, 07:42 PM
Since you mentioned sturdy, I thought you wanted something like a European Storch or Didymos--those are around 100. I think Ellaroo is about half that, maybe. The European ones really are amazing, and are great for bearing heavy loads, but they're a little on the warm size. I suggested El;laroo as a compromise. It's cooler & cheaper.

But for coolest & cheapest, Cotton gauze would be the way to go, possibly crinkle gauze, cut 30 wide. I just go to the dollar table at walmart (and I need to go again because I just gave away another sling :grin). I still haven't gotten around to hemming mine, honestly. I have another I need to split, but it looks like I'll have to hem it, so I've been dragging my heels.

If you really wanted to buy something you didn't have to hem (and was gorgeous), you could get a GypsyMama, but I think they're around 50.

:shrug

There are lots of options. It depends on your budget & goals.

Personally, I'd go to the store to start with--you can always upgrade. You may need 5 or 6 yards depending on your build.

For a stretchy, look for good quality jersey knit that stretches, but goes back to its original condition (I wasted $5 on some that just stretchyed out & stayed there :blush). You don't even have to hem that because it doesn't fray. YOu might want to cut the ends at an angle.

For a woven, look for something that is 100% cotton and you can see light through. That way you know it's breathable. It's nice if it has some give on the diagonal (but that should come with time).

HTH

greenskittle
05-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I have an EllaRoo and it was pretty pricey, at least for my wallet. But you know what, I keep coming back to it. I use is almost daily, especially when I'm going to be wearing for more than 30 minutes or so. I use my Mei Tai out and about since it is easier to get on quickly in a parking lot, but the EllaRoo is much more versitile. And I love that it is fairly traded. That makes me happy.

But it is really expensive. :shrug

MaiMama
05-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Oh, yeah, I see an Ellaroo is 80. I guess I was remembering the Ebay prices I was trying to get one for. Oh well. Still cheaper than a Didy. Too bad. I was kind of getting tempted again. :shifty

tryin-to-FROG
05-01-2007, 09:52 PM
I sell ellaroo wraps:)
feel free to pm me:) :heart

TuneMyHeart
05-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Moby wraps are my favorite for a newborn and they're not expensive. :)

Check ebay for ellaroo; I recently found some much cheaper there. I'm still debating whether I want a wrap for my 14 month old. :shrug

Grover
05-03-2007, 11:26 AM
i have 2 pouches, 2 ring slings, 2 mei tais and so i figured i might as well add a wrap in

I have no advice but this made me smile-I was delighted to find someone with more slings than me :cool

Well, i'm a spoc (simple piece of cloth) kind of girl--or at least my wallet is. Then you can get 2. or more.
:shiftyJersey knit is great for a newborn, especially if you want to nurse in it (easier to fine-tune, imo).
Then a woven later (3 / 4 mos). you could even get a good woven if you buy a cheap stretchy one.

Speak slowly I am a foreigner :lol how much fabric,are we talking muslin or thicker ?

Naked Camper
05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
5 yards of thin cotton :shifty

ok...honestly...ive never had anything but that, and it was plenty comfy to me, i don't like wraps enough to spend more on them, they're more hassle than i want to deal with regularly, i find my mt is just as comfy and less hassle :shrug

but ynk....that can change :giggle

OT - BECCA!! You're wasting away!! :jawdrop my goodness girlie!! You're smokin'!

back on topic: I plan on using my moby wrap (5 yards of jersy knit cotton) with a newborn. I'm still a huge fan of my ring-sling :yes

MaiMama
05-03-2007, 02:32 PM
:shifty Jersey knit is great for a newborn, especially if you want to nurse in it (easier to fine-tune, imo).

Speak slowly I am a foreigner :lol how much fabric,are we talking muslin or thicker ?
[/quote]
:giggle

Sorry. I was typing one-handed. I am again.

Muslin is fine. I think wraps are usually 4.2 or 4.7 meters (or is it metres?). You could do 5m & cut it down to what's comfy.
The expensive wraps aren't muslin, but I don't know what it's called.

I am not sure what else you'd call jersey knit--it's what t-shirts are made of.

www.wearyourbaby.com and www.thebabywearer.com have tons of info.

DD messed w/ the computer settings, so I can't check right now.

bostonsmama
05-03-2007, 06:44 PM
i found a diy jersey (i think) wrap on tbw for 10ppd :jawdrop thanks to amytug!! :tu :heart so i'll start with that, then go from there.

MaiMama
05-04-2007, 06:49 PM
i found a diy jersey (i think) wrap on tbw for 10ppd :jawdrop thanks to amytug!! :tu :heart so i'll start with that, then go from there.

good for you!

2sunshines
05-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Oooh, that's a great price.

Let us know how you like it.

I have a moby and LOVED it for the first 6 months of dd's life. Just recently I've had to switch to something more sturdy. Now I have a diy something or other wrap. :shifty

klpmommy
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
:popcorn

I really want a wrap for this baby. A local store sells Mobywraps & I am debating supporting this store (two moms, cloth diapers & carriers are their main items) or making my own.........

MaiMama
05-05-2007, 07:51 AM
ITU. Happy :think thinking.